Windows 10: booting linux from USB

Discus and support booting linux from USB in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey guys, i have the surface laptop 2, and i have been trying to boot linux from the USB but nothing works. i used Rufus and format the usb FAT32. i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mashatm1, Mar 14, 2020.

1. mashatm1 Win User

booting linux from USB

Hey guys,

i have the surface laptop 2, and i have been trying to boot linux from the USB but nothing works. i used Rufus and format the usb FAT32. i tried to boot on my other laptop Acer and it worked fine. should i turn off the security boot and TMP ? i tried to change the security boot to Microsoft and 3rd party then after rebooting it asked me for the recovery key, and luckily i found it. i don't really want to mess with the laptop.

:)

mashatm1, Mar 14, 2020
  2. panchoman Win User

Boot linux on USB drive

it might just be that your bios doesn't support it, but it should anyway.

make sure you go into the bios and make sure "boot other device" is enabled and try seeing if the usb is listed as an hdd.. as bootable flash drives are usually picked up as usb hdd's and check if your bios detects the flash drive.

panchoman, Mar 14, 2020
  3. Silverel Win User
    Guide: How to enable, use, and configure SLI on Linux.

I guess the next logical step would be to report on the performance you can get with SLI in Linux. That'd be my suggestion anyway.

Silverel, Mar 14, 2020
  4. Agility Win User

booting linux from USB

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

booting linux from USB

1. booting linux from USB - Similar Threads - booting linux USB

2. Usb not Formatting After Live Booting Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb not Formatting After Live Booting Linux: installed a Linux live boot on my USB drive. After I finished using it, I booted back into Windows 10 To format the USB drive to try another operating system. I used DiskPart for this, but I encountered an error that I haven't been able to resolveif the image dose not Load...
  3. Usb not Formatting After Live Booting Linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb not Formatting After Live Booting Linux: installed a Linux live boot on my USB drive. After I finished using it, I booted back into Windows 10 To format the USB drive to try another operating system. I used DiskPart for this, but I encountered an error that I haven't been able to resolveif the image dose not Load...
  4. Usb not Formatting After Live Booting Linux

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. windows 11 block linux usb boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 block linux usb boot: Hello Dears, I recently purchased a newer laptop it came with new Snapdragon 7c gen 2 processor and Windows 11 ARM64.But its have a bad, a really bad performance with Windows 11, after boot in idle it uses 4gb of 8gb, and I removed everything, i means, -> teams, themes,...
  6. windows 11 block linux usb boot

windows 11 block linux usb boot: Hello Dears, I recently purchased a newer laptop it came with new Snapdragon 7c gen 2 processor and Windows 11 ARM64.But its have a bad, a really bad performance with Windows 11, after boot in idle it uses 4gb of 8gb, and I removed everything, i means, -> teams, themes,...
  7. Boot Linux Mint from USB on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot Linux Mint from USB on Windows 11: I have a new Dell computer running windows 11 Pro. On occasion I like to run Linux Mint off a usb drive. When I restart and attempt to boot from the usb drive the option is not available. I have the option of booting from a local drive or a couple NIC options. I had no...
  8. Boot Linux Mint from USB on Windows 11

Boot Linux Mint from USB on Windows 11: I have a new Dell computer running windows 11 Pro. On occasion I like to run Linux Mint off a usb drive. When I restart and attempt to boot from the usb drive the option is not available. I have the option of booting from a local drive or a couple NIC options. I had no...
  9. delete linux mate from USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    delete linux mate from USB: downloaded Linux Mate onto my USB using Image Burn. Now unable to save file into USB or delete Linux file from USB using "reformat". Whats the solution??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-linux-mate-from-usb/e3a9dca2-105f-4eba-9bfc-d92ae3ca7680"
  10. Boot from a linux DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from a linux DVD: Can someone give a simple method so I can boot from a DVD drive which has a linux DVD? I am not interested in having duel boot capability. 53972