Windows 10: Booting Macrium usb image

Discus and support Booting Macrium usb image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; We are discussing how to boot from a usb image made with Macrium Reflect in this thread: http://www.eightforums.com/general-s...ash-drive.html I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by David Bailey, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Booting Macrium usb image

We are discussing how to boot from a usb image made with Macrium Reflect in this thread:

http://www.eightforums.com/general-s...ash-drive.html

I just thought I would mention it here.
    It contains good info about Macrium.

Delete this if it is not wanted.
    I don't want to stir up animosity with Wizards & Mages who already know all about it.:arg:

:)

David Bailey, Jan 22, 2014

2. Windows 10 Upgrade and WinBook TW100 Windows 8.1 tablet... three things to watch out for...

OK... glad you found the way into the UEFI ("BIOS") setup in the

firmware.

I used a 1 TB USB hard drive to do my system backup, then burned the Macrium backup archive onto a DVD for safe storage in my closet.

You should be able to make a donor image from your new

Winbook using Macrium, make a boot/recovery DVD in Macrium,

plug in a USB DVD drive, boot to it from the UEFI and then use the

donor image to un-brick the "unfortunate victim" (LOL) of the

Windows 10 upgrade.

Macrium is nice in that it gives you a couple choices for your

bootable recovery media - if I recall correctly, one of the options

is for a bootable Linux DVD that can restore from Macrium image

files.

Booting Macrium usb image :)

AllanY2525, Jan 22, 2014
  3. Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

I am not talking about USB booting either, You image on an NTFS USB is still a drive, on to which u want to put an image. You make images to restore them not to run them. Your file extension needs to be recognized by the tool that creates them, You may
    need a boot disk or USB to recognize the image were ever you place it. Windows 10 use's the EFI and Recovery Partition to recover an image, Aomei creates is own format and recovery on your C drive which is accessed pre windows boot if windows fails. Good
    luck with Macrium I guess it does not have a help section.

File Allocation Table is for less than 4GB. Generally your image will detect size and choose fat, fat 12 ,Fat 32.

Regards

OctavianQR, Jan 22, 2014
  4. bigseb Win User

Booting Macrium usb image

Very helpful. I've threatening myself to use Macrium for some time now. Thanks!

bigseb, Jan 23, 2014
  5. A new Macrium update came out today.

David Bailey, Jan 23, 2014
  6. LittleJay Win User
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll be on the look out for it.

LittleJay, Jan 23, 2014
  7. Seems like as soon as I set up one boot environment, a new one comes out. I just made a USB boot using WinPE 4. Now 5 comes out like a week later. See why I procrastinate? But it doesn't always help. *Smile

MilesAhead, Jan 28, 2014
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

I started the referenced thread because I had a booting problem from the Macrium stick on my Asus Tranformer. That was a stick produced on my x64 system. The Transformer has a x32 Windows 8.1. Once I produced the stick from the x32 system, it worked.

Then I ran into a new problem. I had placed an image on the MicroSD card of the Transformer. That went well with the installed Macrium and could also be recovered with the installed Macrium - it was a small test partition with some data.

With the recovery stick, however, I could not see the MicroSD card. That was finally resolved too - SIW2 made me a beautiful .iso with Macrium and a bunch of other programs. That Macrium can see my MicroSD card - an apparent problem with the original PE.

9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Version 5 has been out for quite a while already. You must have missed it. It supports Windows 8 and 8.1. If you are Windows 7 only, you don't need it.

10. The free Macrium that just came out has it is what I mean. I just built the USB for WinPE 4 using the Macrium that was "new" a few days ago. Why I hate that is it's almost like there's no point in testing booting a stick as the test is moot if you make a new PE boot. Test all over again. I hate just booting for the sake of booting.

Edit: of course if I could afford a bunch of sticks then I could leave the previous one as is for a bit. Poverty makes for lousy choices. *Smile

MilesAhead, Jan 28, 2014
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    That can't be it. Sticks cost nothing - especially small sticks. All you need is a 1GB stick. But those they do not seem to make any more. 4GBs seems to be the smallest. And even those cost only pennies.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208549

12. It may be pennies to you. But with no real shipping address it's almost impossible to buy online. Very few outlets allow you to specify USPS for cheap or free shipping. They are the only ones who will send to GENERAL DELIVERY. And forget about getting to a Walmart in Miami unless you have a transit pass. Those are $100/month. Not a trivial sum when you have virtually no income.

Walmart will send some office related gear free to FedEx Office stores. In that way I purchased a USB mouse and keyboard for my Laptop. But most of their USB sticks are "outsourced" to other suppliers. Same shipping problem.

MilesAhead, Jan 29, 2014
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

Hmm, that seems to be tough circumstances. I live in a very rural area but within 5 miles we have two Walmarts, Office Depot, BestBuy and HHgregg.

The other day when I was in Office Depot they had a whole box of sticks by the cash register. I think they were also $5 - but I did not check their sizes.

14. It is strange but the more "city" you are the fewer discount outlets. I've had people pull over their cars to ask me where there's a Walmart. Other than The Shack(tm) the electronics stores I've tried locally use high pressure/rip-off sales techniques. On Flagler St. downtown Miami if you ask one of the store employees where some well known store is, like 90% of the time they will just stop talking and ignore you. The philosophy is like "why should I help you spend your money someplace else?"

I'm hopeful that I'll be able to hit the brick and mortar tech and office type stores regularly soon. I think in Miami the only people who actually pay the $100 for the Transit Pass are tourists. Anyone else I ask answers "I know a guy who works there..." *Smile

It's my understanding armed forces veterans get them free. So if you do pay the hundred bucks you feel like a fool. Like the only non-tourist in town paying for the full enchilada. *Smile

MilesAhead, Jan 29, 2014
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    I think London started the nuisance of charging for using their streets. But don't you have other options - e.g. going the other way away from Miami.

Thema:

1. Booting Macrium usb image - Similar Threads - Booting Macrium usb

2. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  3. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  4. Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive

Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive: Am using Macrium personal free version;I find it a great product. I use it to clone my laptop hard drive to a spare hard drive connected via USB in case laptop hard drive fail. Well I had a failure the other day in the laptop hard drive. It could boot but was somewhat non...
  5. Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive: Am using Macrium personal free version;I find it a great product. I use it to clone my laptop hard drive to a spare hard drive connected via USB in case laptop hard drive fail. Well I had a failure the other day in the laptop hard drive. It could boot but was somewhat non...
  6. No mouse or keyboard booting Macrium USB

No mouse or keyboard booting Macrium USB: Hi all. Today I decided to try Macrium Reflect Free 7.2 to try it out. I installed it on PC#2 (System Spec #2 in my profile) and immediately after that created a Bootable Rescue USB to test to be sure I could use it to recover images if I was unable to get into windows. I...
  7. Macrium Image Won't Boot

Macrium Image Won't Boot: Lenovo Thinkpad E531, legacy BIOS mode, Win 10 Pro. Objective: To image entire current 300GB HD to a 500GB HD. Used Diskpart to wipe the 500GB drive first, then formatted it as GPT/NTFS/no drive letter. Imaged the 300GB to the 500GB with Macrium Reflect 7.2. No errors after...
  8. Restored Macrium Reflect 6.3 image will not boot 'boot disk not found'

Restored Macrium Reflect 6.3 image will not boot 'boot disk not found': Windows 10 Pro, Toshiba Satellite upgraded from OEM Win 8. Created system image w/ Macrium and restored it to a new second HD(HD2). Both drives had a lot of partitions due to Win 8 upgraded to Win 8.1 and back to Win 8 prior to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop will have either...
  9. Macrium Reflect 6 free USB boot question

Macrium Reflect 6 free USB boot question: Hi All, I made a Macrium Reflect 6 free version boot USB drive and thought I would put it in to make sure it worked. I get two Kinston USB drive boot options, which one should I use to boot up with? Thanks [img] 26068
  10. Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot: How to: Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot [img] Information If you ask me, Macrium Reflect should be obligatory, first application installed after installing Windows 10. Users often think it as just another backup application but in fact...