Windows 10: Booting new hardware(Motherboard,Ram,Processor) with HDD from old PC with Windows 10?

Discus and support Booting new hardware(Motherboard,Ram,Processor) with HDD from old PC with Windows 10? in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I plan to build a new PC with new hardware. Can I boot the new system with the HDD from my old PC with Windows 10 on it and important data that I don't... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by Funiii, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Funiii Win User

Booting new hardware(Motherboard,Ram,Processor) with HDD from old PC with Windows 10?

I plan to build a new PC with new hardware. Can I boot the new system with the HDD from my old PC with Windows 10 on it and important data that I don't want to delete? I know that I will buy a new Windows key...and can I do that, then also with the different drivers etc.

or do I really have to reinstall Windows 10 where I don't really want to...

For the processor, I only switch from an older AMD Ryzen to a newer Ryzen. Memory 16GB DDR4 etc.

:)

Funiii, Jun 13, 2020
  2. kjl1956 Win User

Upgrading Processor, Motherboard, and Ram

Everything but the motherboard can be upgraded; new motherboard will make the pc

not genuine.

Installing from iso dvd or thumb drive would work but the same issue.

You have the same license terms as when win7 was installed and it carried over to win10;

OEM (hp,dell, toshiba etc.) or retail ( you bought win7).

If you can not upgrade on the current motherboard, cpu, ram, video card for less than a new complete system including the os ?

This also depends on the current configuration, how old are, is the pc.

Not pushing amd but new 4 core cpu's are $129 retail., system boards range from $100

and up, ddr4 ram 130 fo 16 gig just as an example.

kjl1956, Jun 14, 2020
  3. GARoss Win User
    Swap my old motherboard for new day. Correct me if I'm wrong, please?

Today is swap my old motherboard for the new one day. I have a new CPU, MB & RAM & for the moment, re-installing the old GPU.

• The CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 that comes with a cooling fan & is pre-coated with thermal paste.
    • Once all is installed check if all fans are working as the PC is started.
    • Then, press Delete to enter BIOS settings to designate which HDD is boot, RAM is recognized & other hardware is working.
    • Proceed to desktop & get Windows Security to recognize new hardware on old PC license.
    • Update whatever is necessary to new hardware & possible BIOS upgrade.

Have I forgotten anything?

GARoss, Jun 14, 2020
  4. Ryan_110 Win User

Booting new hardware(Motherboard,Ram,Processor) with HDD from old PC with Windows 10?

Changing hardware on two PC's, new hardware on one, and putting old into another.

I believe I have to replace the motherboard as I have had continual corruption of my ssd's over the last 2 years (Win 8 and also Win 10)

I have changed both the SSD and ram with the same corruption happening. Last likely thing in the equation is the motherboard to be replaced. I figure I would rather throw money at a new build rather than throw money at old hardware. My son would buy his
    own motherboard for my old processor and ram.

So by doing this I would now have to buy windows for both machines as well? Not what I was hoping for.

Ryan_110, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Booting new hardware(Motherboard,Ram,Processor) with HDD from old PC with Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Booting hardware Motherboard

2. New Motherboard and Processor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Motherboard and Processor: Hello I have a new motherboard and processor. I had to do so because of hardware malfunction. I still have the old drive as I installed windows on a new one. Is there a way to get the old key off the old drive to activate the new windows or transfer the license on my account?...
  3. New Motherboard and Processor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Motherboard and Processor: Hello I have a new motherboard and processor. I had to do so because of hardware malfunction. I still have the old drive as I installed windows on a new one. Is there a way to get the old key off the old drive to activate the new windows or transfer the license on my account?...
  4. New Motherboard and Processor

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Trying to open Windows from an old HDD to a new Motherboard and CPU

Trying to open Windows from an old HDD to a new Motherboard and CPU: Hello, I decided to upgrade certain parts of the PC I built. I bought a new motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H, new CPU Intel core i5 10100, and new RAM to upgrade the older parts. I've put everything together, and I cannot get past the BIOS setup. I am not trying to buy...
  6. New motherboard & HDD, but can't activate Windows10 Home from old HDD.

New motherboard & HDD, but can't activate Windows10 Home from old HDD.: So I upgraded my motherboard & bought a new NVMe HDD. I connected my old HDD as a secondary backup. So I signed in with my MS account when I was installing Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool on the NVMe. Did the updates etc... It shows I need to activate Windows. I...
  7. i want to move an old hdd with windows 10 pro onto a new pc with a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i want to move an old hdd with windows 10 pro onto a new pc with a new motherboard: I have built a new pc, but all it needs is an os. Since the pc that i am using right now has a windows 10 pro (digital activation) os i was really hoping that i could just put the hdd in my pc right now into my new pc, but i did some research on it and it seems that there...
  8. New Motherboard/RAM/Processor, Windows 10 won't boot up

in Windows 10 Support
    New Motherboard/RAM/Processor, Windows 10 won't boot up: Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this so I posted it here. I installed a new mobo, processor, and RAM into my computer today. When I booted it up, all seemed to be going well, until my computer got stuck on the "Getting Devices Ready" screen, and the Windows 10 logo froze....
  9. New motherboard & Processor

New motherboard & Processor: I have Windows 10 Home Anniversary update. I installed this OS by a free upgrade from Windows 7. I want to take the hard drive and put it in another tower that has a different motherboard, memory, and processor. What will I have to do to make sure the OS stays activated? 93672
  10. Transfering HDD from old PC to new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfering HDD from old PC to new PC: I have an older PC in which the motherboard is dying. I bought a newer PC and since the HDD is still good on old PC I wanted to install the HDD to the new PC as a 2nd drive. That way i can keep the files and have more room. My question is to make room on old HDD can I delete...