Windows 10: Booting off USB/DVD fails (UEFI)

Discus and support Booting off USB/DVD fails (UEFI) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there you all, My pc fails to boot from a USB and / or DVD. It uses UEFI. I have tried many solutions that include: (1) I have changed the BIOS to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TroubleShot, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Booting off USB/DVD fails (UEFI)

Hi there you all,

My pc fails to boot from a USB and / or DVD. It uses UEFI. I have tried many solutions that include:

(1) I have changed the BIOS to either USB HDD or USB CDRom for the different cases. (I have been able to boot from DVD in the past. All I did was try to boot off DVD a few times then).

(2) Secure Boot. There is no option to change this. It is permanently set to "Standard". (BIOS minimal - no CMS nor Legacy).

(3) Boot Manager. This can be enabled that brings back the f12 key. However, only the pc hard disc is listed here.

(4) Tried a few times to boot different ways for both cases. For example use F2 to set boot priority in BIOS, boot from restart and shutdown. (Removed battery for longer than 30 seconds)

(5) Checked partitions. There are 6 and the ESP partition is fat32.

(6) Performed some basic troubleshooting that includes: DISM, SFC and CHKDSK, Start-Up Repair, windows OS trouble shooter.

Got any other ideas out there.

Thanks.

:)

TroubleShot, Sep 21, 2020
  2. kevvyb Win User

UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails

Hi

On this new laptop which appears to have UEFI and Legacy BIOS settings, setting UEFI settings to boot from DVD or USB first in order to run a bootable format disc to preformat before a clean install has thrown an error message that ..."boot from [xx device] failed." This was with the GParted.iso installed on disc or USB.

I did not touch the Legacy BIOS boot order just the UEFI boot order as information given suggested that the UEFI takes precedence.

In the end I formatted using the windows installation iso and format tool, booting from USB which worked. But this has meant that I get the windows recovery partitions that I was trying to avoid. Having got here, I think I will leave it like that as it probably makes sense and I suppose windows will probably run better with them? This has got rid of the additional HP partitions and crapware which is also what I was trying to achieve.

Just wanting to know for future reference, if I do want to boot from DVD or USB on this laptop OTHER THAN with windows installation .iso, how would I do it?

Thanks again in advance.

kevvyb, Sep 21, 2020
  3. DVK
    DVK Win User
    How can I boot into Windows 10 DVD from UEFI?

I have a laptop which has a weird boot issue (the issue is - hopefully - not relevant to this question; and I'll post a Q about it later; but in short, on boot, it goes into Windows Boot Menu with 4 different Windows installations listed, any one of the 4 leads to "installation failed".

When I tried to boot the laptop (Gateway NE 522) with bootable Windows 10 install DVD; it never booted into DVD - instead, it showed "Boot Manager" with only HDD "Windows Boot Manager" as an option, when in UEFI mode (the image isn't of my screen but my screen looks nearly identical except for HDD name being different).

Booting off USB/DVD fails (UEFI) d41SJm.jpg

Troubleshooting steps taken:

• I went into BIOS setup and ensured that under UEFI mode, DVD-ROM was the first drive in boot order. No effect.
    • However, when I switched from UEFI to Legacy mode, DVD booted without any issue (that didn't help me, since none of recovery options worked; and installing Windows on the correct partition failed since it was GBR partition).

How can I allow booting into my DVD from UEFI mode?

4. kevvyb Win User

Booting off USB/DVD fails (UEFI)

UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails

This was probably some issue with the setting with the UEFI. From my reading there are lots of people who seem to be running into all sorts of problems until they work out how it works.

HP PCs - Secure Boot (Windows 8) | HP(R) Customer Support
    "HP computers that come with Windows 8 installed have Secure Boot enabled by default. Having Secure Boot enabled prevents legacy boot devices from starting your computer, including bootable CDs and DVDs."

I think the issue above may have been the problem or part of it....? I did not test this out though by disabling secure boot with the bootable media I was using then.

I am led to believe that the way and iso is burned has some effect on what settings the resultant media will boot from given that I found the application called Rufus, which seems to offer options to match the boot environment (leaving secure boot enabled).

Presumably before, for most people it was simple, it was always MBR.

Am I likely to be right?

Rufus offers:
    1. MBR partition Scheme for BIOS or UEFI
    2. MBR partiton scheme for UEFI
    3. GPT partition scheme for UEFI

Having just burned the iso again to USB using the 3rd option, the laptop has booted from it this time.

kevvyb, Sep 21, 2020
Thema:

Booting off USB/DVD fails (UEFI)

1. Booting off USB/DVD fails (UEFI) - Similar Threads - Booting off USB

2. Can't boot Windows 10 off a USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot Windows 10 off a USB or DVD: Installed LInux Mint 21 on a Dell laptop with Windows 10. I bricked Linux when trying to install a program. I went into Windows and deleted the partition Linux was on. I erased the disk and reinstalled Linux Mint 21. I tried to reinstall Windows 10 from both a USB and a DVD...
  3. Can't boot Windows 10 off a USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't boot Windows 10 off a USB or DVD: Installed LInux Mint 21 on a Dell laptop with Windows 10. I bricked Linux when trying to install a program. I went into Windows and deleted the partition Linux was on. I erased the disk and reinstalled Linux Mint 21. I tried to reinstall Windows 10 from both a USB and a DVD...
  4. Can't boot Windows 10 off a USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows UEFI USB boot not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows UEFI USB boot not working: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SkyyTheGuy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k67yly/windows_uefi_usb_boot_not_working/
  6. Dell UEFI USB Boot

Dell UEFI USB Boot: Hi all, Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have already gone through a number of fixes but nothing seems to be working for me so far. I have been provided with a USB with an MDT image on to re-image a number of PCs but soon realised it was formatted in NTFS due...
  7. Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI: Hello, I tried to add a DVD to boot sequence but I couldn't find an option for this. I tried Dell's recommendation but they indicate that hardware might not be recognized by the system. I did use the DVD to install Win 10 initially, but it doesn't show up. Can someone explain...
  8. Cannot boot from USB or DVD and cannot access UEFI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot boot from USB or DVD and cannot access UEFI: HP HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX. Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 (build 15063.540) I've already posted about the usb part Will Win 10 pc boot from usb? - Windows 10 Forums but I'd like to expand the scope. In brief, no combination of key presses at bootup will...
  9. UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails

UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails: Hi On this new laptop which appears to have UEFI and Legacy BIOS settings, setting UEFI settings to boot from DVD or USB first in order to run a bootable format disc to preformat before a clean install has thrown an error message that ..."boot from [xx device] failed."...
  10. Boot From USB/DVD

Boot From USB/DVD: I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so much Win 7/Win 8, 8.1 included that I'm crosseyed! HP Pavilion g Series Windows 8.1 Pro laptop with BIOS, not UEFI. I want...