Windows 10: Booting PC with Windows 10 install on new SSD leads to plain black screen

Discus and support Booting PC with Windows 10 install on new SSD leads to plain black screen in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Recently got a new SSD for the purpose of running the OS and other important software. Went through the same procedure as i did my HDD and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ShockCommand, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Booting PC with Windows 10 install on new SSD leads to plain black screen

Recently got a new SSD for the purpose of running the OS and other important software.

Went through the same procedure as i did my HDD and the install worked fine.

After the installation 2 hrs - longer than on my HDD which was only 30 mins and several restarts, I completed the setup account login etc. and the PC login screen appeared.

However, when i logged in, i was mer with a plain black screen. I let it sit upwards of 30 mins but there was no change. Ctrl + Alt + Delete did not show anything, nor did the windows key or any other combination of keys.

At this point I forced a shutdown power button ~3 seconds, turned off the power supply and unplugged it. After a few minutes i replaced the power supply cable and turned the PC back on.

I entered the BIOS and ensured it was booting through the SSD it was. Once again i logged in and once again black screen. However, this time i could see the cursor. So i tried Ctrl + Alt + Delete and the menu appeared. Clikcing on task manager did open and show the task manager which appeared and worked fine.

Through the task manager i managed to open the File Explorer and confirmed that the SSD was in fact showing up and had all the windows folders present at least i presume it did

At this point the only interactions i can make are the Ctrl + Alt + Delete menu, Task Manager and File Explorer

I do not know where to go from here and everything i read online just keeps saying “the download should be perfect”

Any advice for someone who just wants to USE their SSD?

:)

ShockCommand, Jul 19, 2020
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Jul 19, 2020
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Jul 19, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

Booting PC with Windows 10 install on new SSD leads to plain black screen

Black screen after 'Starting Windows' sequence

Sounds like the old... windows black screen of death.

Try this quoted from "VisiHow" article "Repair Windows 7 Black Screen of Death":

They, also, have some other options there, too.
    Google search and you will find a lot of the "Windows Black Screen of Death with cursor" fixes.

95Viper, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

Booting PC with Windows 10 install on new SSD leads to plain black screen

1. Booting PC with Windows 10 install on new SSD leads to plain black screen - Similar Threads - Booting install SSD

2. Black Screen on startup after installing new SSD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen on startup after installing new SSD.: I just purchased a new SSD to replace my old dying HDD. I was excited for the upgrade and couldn't wait to put it in my PC. However when I installed the SSD and attempted to boot up my PC, I am just met with a black screen. Nothing happens, there are no loading notifications,...
  3. Black Screen on startup after installing new SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen on startup after installing new SSD.: I just purchased a new SSD to replace my old dying HDD. I was excited for the upgrade and couldn't wait to put it in my PC. However when I installed the SSD and attempted to boot up my PC, I am just met with a black screen. Nothing happens, there are no loading notifications,...
  4. Black Screen on startup after installing new SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Black Screen on startup after installing new SSD.

6. Pc boots to black screen when ssd is connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc boots to black screen when ssd is connected: Hello I bought a new ssd to use for storage. Pc works and boots fine without it but when I turn the pc on when connected it boots to a black screen, then flashes to another black screen and sits there. I’ve tried many methods so far and can’t seem to figure out why it would...
  7. Pc boots to black screen when ssd is connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc boots to black screen when ssd is connected: Hello I bought a new ssd to use for storage. Pc works and boots fine without it but when I turn the pc on when connected it boots to a black screen, then flashes to another black screen and sits there. I’ve tried many methods so far and can’t seem to figure out why it would...
  8. Black Screen after installing windows 10 on a new pc?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen after installing windows 10 on a new pc?: I just built a pc and was doing the installing windows and during the install, I got a black screen. I don't know why this is. I downloaded the installation tool onto a USB and it started install windows on my nvme m.2drive but as it started, I got a black screen. what...
  9. Windows 10 boots with a black screen and command prompt after installing on a new SSD drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boots with a black screen and command prompt after installing on a new SSD drive: Hey. My PC is currently running on a windows 7 OS. It has an SSD for windows + HDDfor data drives which are currently in use. I have purchased and added 2 additional SSD hard drives and added them to my PC they are initialized, allocated and visible on my win7. I wish...
  10. Installation of windows 10 on new pc. Won’t boot, black screen with blinking cursor

Installation of windows 10 on new pc. Won’t boot, black screen with blinking cursor: I putted my windows 10 64-bit in my dvd driver, and took my dvd as the first boot option, but when I boot the system it just shows me a black screen with blinking cursor. I also tried to put the windows down on a usb, but it shows the same. Also tried with uefi, but with no...