Windows 10: Booting secure boot PC from thumb drive vs CD

Discus and support Booting secure boot PC from thumb drive vs CD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Secure boot is enabled on my laptop. My Aomie boot CD will boot without turning secure boot off. However, if I burn the Aomie ISO to a USB thumb drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WayneD, Oct 5, 2019.

1. WayneD Win User

Booting secure boot PC from thumb drive vs CD

Secure boot is enabled on my laptop. My Aomie boot CD will boot without turning secure boot off. However, if I burn the Aomie ISO to a USB thumb drive using Rufus, it will only work with SB turned off. Just wondering why the difference. Thanks for your help.

:)

WayneD, Oct 5, 2019

2. Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

So Linux is switching to secure boot also? Or they have to because of UEFI?

Damn_Smooth, Oct 5, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

• Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Oh and OSX
    Here is a statement from a Kernal Developer at Red Hat:

I'm not sure this exploits the legacy BIOS but rather it exploits the legacy boot method on MBR drives, injecting a signed key before the OS boots, which you are correct in that it has nothing to do with Windows 8. And the simplest fix would just be to require boot drives use GPT when Secure Boot is enabled in UEFI.

newtekie1, Oct 5, 2019
  4. jr283 Win User

secure boot

Hi thanks for your reply I tried all up to step 4 and no boot order even with secure boot off in the configuration setup it looks like I can't change but thanks for your help in know I can access my flash drive via novo menu and boot it that way I just
    thought I could change it for first boot but not allowing in bios

jr283, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Booting secure boot PC from thumb drive vs CD - Similar Threads - Booting secure boot

2. Computer not booting from CD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer not booting from CD: As the title sugest, I am having problems booting from a CD I have already set it as a priority in the BIOS as well as setting legacy first It shows the "press any key to boot from cd" but when I do that the windows icon apears, it loads shortly and it never shows the...
  3. Rip from CD to a thumb drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rip from CD to a thumb drive: I can rip the CD, but it won't play in my car. I need to turn off the copy protection feature on the Windows media player so it will play anywhere. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rip-from-cd-to-a-thumb-drive/3a4aea87-5429-42b4-88eb-a0235107dc72
  4. How can I make boot manager on thumb drive boot from HD?

How can I make boot manager on thumb drive boot from HD?: I have a thumb drive on which I have a whole bunch of Windows 10 installation images. I can boot a standard, unmodified Windows 10 DVD, a basic unattended setup, a fully sysprepped unattended installation, etc. All of these options are presented to me from the Windows Boot...
  5. Program on cd copy to thumb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program on cd copy to thumb drive: Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. I have the original microsoft money program on cd. which is copyright protectd. It was loaded onto this laptop 6 years ago when the operating system was windows 7 I believe. I have since upgraded to windows 10. I am...
  6. Boot from CD/DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot from CD/DVD: I need to run the gparted (Linux app) booting from the CDROM. Now I do not find the option for booting from CD/DVD in windows 10 any more. I have done it before, but it seems to have disappeared in Windows 10. Any Ideas? 59956
  7. Cannot boot into BIOS with F2 or boot from CD or USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot into BIOS with F2 or boot from CD or USB flash drive: For some unknown reason, for the past couple of days, I can only boot my ASUS X750JA laptop normally into Windows 10 (Home). Previously, after Shift+Restart, I used to be able to enter BIOS setup with F2. Now, whenever I try this, the screen remains black and nothing happens:...
  8. Booting Windows from Thumb Drive

Booting Windows from Thumb Drive: I'm still running Vista. I recently purchased a thumb drive with Windows 10 from Microsoft (only because they don't sell them on disc anymore, which is easy and I've done a clean install of Vista half a dozen times from CD-Rom). Anyway, I plug in the thumb drive, I...
  9. Cannot boot from CD

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot from CD: I'm trying to wipe my hard drive with DBAN due to a trojan. I successfully booted from a CD but DBAN (from 2014) only ran 5 seconds, so I burned a CD and a USB thumb drive with the latest version of DBAN. I cannot get the PC to boot from either device despite changing the...
  10. Boot to CD Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot to CD Drive: Since I did clean install of Win 10 I find it will not allow me to boot to internal cd drive or USB drive. I know this is an attempt to secure the OS or lock you out of competing OS like linux or both but I can find no way around this. My bios has not been updated to the...