Windows 10: Booting to black screen after BSOD: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, no diagnostic or repair tools...

Discus and support Booting to black screen after BSOD: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, no diagnostic or repair tools... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I was booting up my laptop a couple days ago when the blue screen of death popped up and said: CRTICIAL_PROCESS_DIED. This isn't the first time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by clevs13, Sep 28, 2020.

1. clevs13 Win User

Booting to black screen after BSOD: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, no diagnostic or repair tools...

Hello, I was booting up my laptop a couple days ago when the blue screen of death popped up and said: CRTICIAL_PROCESS_DIED. This isn't the first time I've gotten this, but other times I was able to just restart without a problem. This time, however, it rebooted to a black screen, not even reaching the login screen. I was able to get to the Windows Recovery screen, and tried several things from there, including some command line tools:

• sfc /scannow: didn't find anything
    • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth: refused to run, said I couldn't run the online version, and wasn't able to run the offline version, even with an external USB image
    • chkdsk C: /f /r: ran successfully and found no errors.

I also tried:

• Letting it try to boot for >1 hour, in case it was just taking a long time to boot.
    • Automatic Startup Repair: couldn't find anything
    • Uninstalling updates/features: couldn't uninstall anything; refused to run
    • Resetting the PC keeping file: could not run the Cloud version or the local version.
    • No System Restore points on my laptop.
    • Dell Pre-Boot System Assessment: ran in-depth tests and could not find issues with hard drive or memory.
    • Created a Windows recovery drive on a USB, but could not run the "upgrade" option to keep my files.

I can't get into Windows at all, so I can't run any in-OS tools. I have a lot of files on my laptop, and do not want to clean install. It's weird to me that none of the assessment tools could find any issues, so I'm wondering if it's an issue with the boot sequence. On a Dell XPS 15 9570 Running Windows 10, any help is appreciated.

:)

clevs13, Sep 28, 2020

2. Windows 10 stuck on Boot Screen with Auto repair & Diagnostic

Hi Adam,

To isolate your concern, since you were able to access Advanced options, have you also tried doing a system restore? If yes, and it does not resolve the issue we suggest that you perform Repair Master Boot Record. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Boot to Windows Recovery Menu.
    • Click Troubleshoot.
    • On Advanced options, click Automatic repair.
    • We need to use the Bootrec.exe tool. Click on command prompt and type the commands below:
    bootrec /RebuildBcd
    bootrec /fixMbr

bootrec /fixboot

Exit

5. Reboot the computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Jesebel Ova, Sep 28, 2020
  3. windows 10 can't boot, black screen.

Hello,

• What is the make and model of you system?
    • Do you receive any exact error message?
    There can be many reasons for booting to a black screen. These screens may appear with or without the mouse pointer. The main causes observed are:

• The video output is being sent to an unexpected port
    • Problems with the driver for your display adapter
    I suggest you to refer the below link and follow the suggestions provided by Sharath Srinivasa on August 7, 2015 and see if this helps in resolving the issue.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

If the issue still persists, perform Startup Repair using Windows 10 bootable DVD or USB drive and check if that helps. Initiating repair from DVD may have different results.

Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain system problems that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair scans your computer for the problem and then tries to fix it so your computer can start correctly.

Startup Repair is one of the recovery tools in the System Recovery Options menu. This set of tools is located on your computer's hard disk and on the Windows installation disc.

If you don’t have the bootable DVD or USB drive, please refer to the steps in the article given below to create one and then follow the steps given below.

Create installation media for Windows 10

Download Windows 10

Once you have made the bootable USB or DVD drive, please follow the steps.

• Insert the installation DVD or USB
      and boot Windows 10 from it.

• In the ‘Windows setup’
      page, select thelanguage to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

• Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select
      ‘Troubleshoot’.

• Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select
      Startup Repair'
      and select the operating system.
    You might also require to change the boot priority in BIOS in order to allow the computer to boot from DVD.

Note:
    Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of
    BIOS/CMOS settings

Keep us posted with the status of black screen issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 28, 2020
  4. bar9 Win User

Booting to black screen after BSOD: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, no diagnostic or repair tools...

Windows memory diagnostic tool not Working in Windows 10

Thanks, Jenith. The problem is that: when I attempt to run Memory Diagnostics Tool manually per your instructions:

• Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by going to Control Panel. In the search box, type Memory, and then click Diagnose your computer's memory problems. 
    • If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Choose when to run the tool.
    When I choose when to run the tool (i.e., for instance, chosing 'restart now and check for problems'), and then shut the computer down, when it comes back up, I get a black screen (as I described in original post), and it appears that Memory Diagnostics
    Tool does not run at all. I wait and wait for minutes ... hours, and screen remains black, with Memory Diagnostics Tool not appearing to be running. I then turn the computer off, and then back on and it boots up normally to Windows 10 without running the Memory
    Diagnostics Tool. Whatever my approach, it seems that Memory Diagnostics Tool will not run.

The Memory Diagnostics Tool has not otherwise run automatically on its own.

Thema:

1. Booting to black screen after BSOD: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, no diagnostic or repair tools... - Similar Threads - Booting black screen

2. Windows startup repair loop BSOD after update Critical_Process_Died

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows startup repair loop BSOD after update Critical_Process_Died: Startup repair, uninstall updates, safe mode and system restore don't work. Maybe first BSOD was SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I cannot include windows version number. I don't have any diagnostic files. 184050
  3. BSOD (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) on login screen after PC boot up

BSOD (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) on login screen after PC boot up: Hi all! So in the past three days, every time I booted up my Windows 10 (only when I start my PC but not when restart), BSOD (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) always shows up during login screen. I have tried update my Windows, drivers and uninstall antivirus, but no luck solving that....
  4. BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD on boot (critical_process_died), cant boot into safe mode: TL:DR: Can't boot (even into safe mode) after removing device 'Intel HD Graphics 4000' (and uninstalling its drivers). Getting critical_process_died BSOD. My specs: Mobo ASRock Z77 Pro4, CPU i5 3570k I had my integrated GPU (Intel HD Graphics 4000) disabled because it gave...
  5. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Blue Screen / Black Screen with cursor

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Blue Screen / Black Screen with cursor: Please help under the current living situation my remote work came to a stop after the most recent Windows update, I woke up to a black screen with cursor computer, i have tried every online fix and cannot resolve my problem, it has made it to a blue screen at times, but the...
  6. Automatic repair at boot after completing hardware diagnostics

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatic repair at boot after completing hardware diagnostics: On this notebook the HP hardware diagnostics extensive test was ran yesterday and took approximately 11 hours. It passed the extensive testing (RAM, Drive, motherboard,GPU, CPU, etc.) Today when the notebook was powered on it went into automatic repair. Windows recovery on...
  7. Critical Process Died (Attempting to Repair and Diagnostic Loop)

Critical Process Died (Attempting to Repair and Diagnostic Loop): Recently I went to turn on my PC and when booting it gave me a BSOD saying that the problem was "Critical Process Died" on startup. Naturally i went online to try and find some solutions, and stumbled across a few but none of them have worked so far. What I have tried so...
  8. BSOD - Critical_Process_Died - Boot drive missing on reboot

BSOD - Critical_Process_Died - Boot drive missing on reboot: Hello! I've been having issues with a Critical_Process_Died BSOD for several weeks now and have already spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting it, to no avail. The start of my problems did not coincide with any major hardware or software changes. At first, I would only...
  9. BSOD Critical_Process_Died (After booting into Safe Mode)

BSOD Critical_Process_Died (After booting into Safe Mode): This might not be the place to post this issue, but I'm not sure where else to put it. I'm having a problem with my computer that displays the "It looks like Windows didn't load correctly" error-thing when I try to boot it up. I already tried messing with the boot settings...
  10. BSOD Repair Loop Critical_Process_Died

BSOD Repair Loop Critical_Process_Died: Hi, I've been wrestling with this problem for last 2 days and I don't seem to be able to find an answer anywhere hence I'm posting here. Firstly, I can't generate the dumpfile as I can't access windows at all. I can't access it through any boot options including safe mode....