Windows 10: Booting to Win 10 with another Win 10 install being visible

Discus and support Booting to Win 10 with another Win 10 install being visible in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been swapping 4 SSDs and NVMes like crazy between two computers as I try various things like disk cloning, Linux installs, and so forth. I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GregJ7, Nov 1, 2019.

1. GregJ7 Win User

Booting to Win 10 with another Win 10 install being visible

I have been swapping 4 SSDs and NVMes like crazy between two computers as I try various things like disk cloning, Linux installs, and so forth. I was doing it enough that I bought the full version of AOMEI Partition Assistant. I have been having a serious problem that I have now grown tired of since it has happened to me a half dozen times. I've done full installs of Windows 10 at least a dozen times only to have to do it again.

When a Windows 10 installation is booting up, if there is a 2nd Windows 10 installation detected on another drive (or even the remnants of one), my main disk gets altered so that it will no longer boot and it is not repairable by Windows 10. If I look at the disk from a working install it shows my files are all still there. One time it appeared that setting the disk to read-only with DISKPART didn't stop Windows from altering it. Another time I found that Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Home had the same problem as two Win 10 Pro installs. None of the boot-time Troubleshooting choices work. Attempting to reinstall Windows 10 to it while preserving my files won't be permitted, and even a custom advanced install won't be permitted (which has the possibility of preserving my files) and I will have to delete the partitions and start from scratch to get it to reinstall. It's been a while, but I believe I was able to boot to Win 10 fine when the 2nd install was Linux.

What on earth is going on with me trying to boot to a Windows 10 install when another install is visible to the Windows 10 boot process? (This has all been done with an ASUS Prime X570-P motherboard.)

:)

GregJ7, Nov 1, 2019
  2. RealNeil Win User

Win 10 boots...

I can't answer to the speed of Win-8 booting. I tried the Win-8 preview and went back to Win-7 after a month. They say that Win-8.1 is a lot better than Win-8 was.
    My Win-10 TP is working well ATM.

RealNeil, Nov 1, 2019
  3. rk3066 Win User
    Win.10 won't boot after installing Win.7

Hi,

So i installed Win.10 via the UEFI and after installing Win.7 on Legacy Mode onto a different HDD i can't boot into Win.10 (I believe can only because Win.10 was installed via UEFI)

I tried installing the BCD Software but nope. I even tried to select my HDD but say Winload.exe error

Even tried going into the USB and try repairing but the same thing happens

rk3066, Nov 1, 2019
  4. Booting to Win 10 with another Win 10 install being visible

Win 10 boots...

People have Win 10 installed?

Easy Rhino, Nov 1, 2019
Thema:

Booting to Win 10 with another Win 10 install being visible

1. Booting to Win 10 with another Win 10 install being visible - Similar Threads - Booting another install

2. Drive not visible , new install Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive not visible , new install Win 10: I have just installed Win 10 on an SSD that is divided in half, on a machine with 2 other OS installed on separate drives. The 2nd half of the drive ' Storage' is not visible in the new OS install, but can be seen in the other OS when booted.I have copied files to the storage...
  3. Drive not visible , new install Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive not visible , new install Win 10: I have just installed Win 10 on an SSD that is divided in half, on a machine with 2 other OS installed on separate drives. The 2nd half of the drive ' Storage' is not visible in the new OS install, but can be seen in the other OS when booted.I have copied files to the storage...
  4. Drive not visible , new install Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Win 10 Installer will not boot

Win 10 Installer will not boot: Hello All, So im attempting to replace an M.2 SSD card where the OS is currently housed and do a complete clean install of the OS onto the new M.2 card. I have followed the instructions to the T on creating the boot media of the Media Creation Tool for both a USB drive and...
  6. Dual Boot Win 10 to Win 10

Dual Boot Win 10 to Win 10: I have problem related to setting up a dual boot. i am running Windows version 20H2 . When I tried to install windows on a partition using the latest Windows 10 USB installation, the setup continually rebooted after copying the installation files. I tried several times and...
  7. Win 10 PC not visible on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 PC not visible on network: After Win 7 upgraded to WIN 10 1909, it is not visible on network. Restarting Function Discovery Resource Publication solves the problem. But next restart of PC results in the PC no longer being visible. Greatly appreciate any ideas!!...
  8. Win 10, 1809 installed, will not boot.

Win 10, 1809 installed, will not boot.: Win 10, 1809 installed but would not reboot. Removed updated version (1809) and all is well now. Ran "Fix windows" in search block and the results are as follows: "Service registration is missing or corrupt". How do I resolve this problem? Some characteristic's are: little...
  9. Installed Win 10, still boots in Win 8.1

Installed Win 10, still boots in Win 8.1: I attempted to install Win 10 on my HP 7000 laptop with 6GB memory, and gobs of disk space. At first, I got the C1900107 error. After an internet search, I renamed (effectively removing) the .-BT directory. I started the download again. That went fine. Then it did the...
  10. Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed

Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed: My situation is usually the opposite of what I've found online. I upgraded to Win 10 and I'm quite comfortable with it, the problem is that a critical application for my job does not work with this platform. As I have space, my preferred option is to dual boot with Win 10 and...