Windows 10: Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive

Discus and support Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,I've installed a new Samsung SSD into my laptop. The hard-drive that came with the laptop is still in the computer AND it's still acting as the boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by cbabrun, Jan 21, 2023.

1. cbabrun Win User

Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive

Hi,I've installed a new Samsung SSD into my laptop. The hard-drive that came with the laptop is still in the computer AND it's still acting as the boot and operating drive whenever I use the laptop.I've cloned my Windows10 and everything else on my hard-drive over to the SSD. Now I want to make the SSD my boot/operating drive, ideally, while leaving the hard drive in the laptop for extra storage, but NOT as the drive housing Windows 10. It's not clear to me how I can now make my SSD the boot/operating drive while leaving the old hard-drive in the computer for extra storage space, but removi

:)

cbabrun, Jan 21, 2023
  2. Brian App Win User

new ssd, installed win 10, first in boot order but still boots from old hard drive.

I have a pc with a standard hard drive running windows 10 just fine. I got a new SSD. I unplugged all the hard drives, installed the SSD and installed windows 10 on it. I would boot just fine. I then plugged the old hard drive back in thinking I
    could switch between these boot drives using the bios boot order. I was able to switch back to booting from the hard drive but now when I change the boot order to the ssd first it always skips over it and boots the from the second option which is the old
    hard drive. I thought hard drive data was just data and the bios could choose which drive to boot from but it doesn't. I can see that the old hard drive is listed as active in disk management. It seems like windows will mark only one hard drive as active
    and the bios must boot from that no matter what the boot order is. Is that how it works? Is there a way to switch between booting from either drive without opening up the pc and unplugging the other drive each time?

Brian App, Jan 21, 2023
  3. Boot from old hard drive

The motherboard of my old computer died suddenly and so I bought a new computer. It has two 1TB HDDs on RAID 0 and comes preinstalled with Windows 10 Home. I wanted my computer to boot from my old 120GB SSD from my old computer but it doesn't seem to recognize it as boot drive. It was working perfectly with my old computer.

I can view files from the SSD and so this confirms that it is working. The boot partition is marked active.

I tried changing the boot hard drive in the bios but in the bios, the only two options shown in the boot menu are

• Windows Boot Manager (Intel Volume1)
    • CD/DVDRW

After searching online, a website suggested swapping the Sata of the old hard drive with that of the new one. I tried even this but this didn't work either. It gave me the error "boot disk not found" and in the boot menu, the only option was "CD/DVDRW".

For Reference :

Motherboard : ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING

All Hard Drives Run GPT.

Any other solutions?

Don't Root here plz..., Jan 21, 2023
  4. Leo1801 Win User

New cloned SSD is being skipped during Boot

Thank you for your reply. I followed those steps, however when i boot up once i have reconnected the power to the old ssd, I boot from the old ssd again. Is it safe to clean the old drive in Magician while the os is running on the old drive? And if not, how do i get the new drive to boot instead?

Leo1801, Jan 21, 2023
Thema:

1. Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Booting SSD Instead

2. Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive: Hi,I've installed a new Samsung SSD into my laptop. The hard-drive that came with the laptop is still in the computer AND it's still acting as the boot and operating drive whenever I use the laptop.I've cloned my Windows10 and everything else on my hard-drive over to the SSD....
  3. Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting Up on New SSD Instead of Old Hard Drive: Hi,I've installed a new Samsung SSD into my laptop. The hard-drive that came with the laptop is still in the computer AND it's still acting as the boot and operating drive whenever I use the laptop.I've cloned my Windows10 and everything else on my hard-drive over to the SSD....
  4. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .Getting new SSD drive to boot up: I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using AOMEI partition Magic.. I appears to have cloned the drive correctly. I have all the same files on my new ssd drive. The old...
  5. .Getting new SSD drive to boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .Getting new SSD drive to boot up: I am running windows 11 Home insider preview. I have a 128 gb ssd that is getting very full. I purchased a new 512 gb ssd and cloned the C: drive using AOMEI partition Magic.. I appears to have cloned the drive correctly. I have all the same files on my new ssd drive. The old...
  6. Windows installed on hard-drive instead of SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows installed on hard-drive instead of SSD: HiI have an HP-Envy 360. It has both an SSD drive and a normal hard drive. Originally the SSD was allocated to be the C: drive and the hard drive D:. Windows was installed and booted of the SSD C: drive.I reinstalled Windows and this situation seems to have swapped over, i.e....
  7. Windows installed on hard-drive instead of SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows installed on hard-drive instead of SSD: HiI have an HP-Envy 360. It has both an SSD drive and a normal hard drive. Originally the SSD was allocated to be the C: drive and the hard drive D:. Windows was installed and booted of the SSD C: drive.I reinstalled Windows and this situation seems to have swapped over, i.e....
  8. Windows installed on hard-drive instead of SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. How to install applications on the hard drive instead of the SSD drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to install applications on the hard drive instead of the SSD drive?: I actually have the answer to this. It doesn't have to be that hard. All of the stuff that the advisor told people to do is ridiculous. There are two methods.1 Go to Settings/System/Storage/Change where new content is saved. Here you can choose what types of files saved to...
  10. Download games on Hard Drive instead of SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download games on Hard Drive instead of SSD: Hello, i currently got a new gaming PC and it came with a 256 GB SSD along with a hard drive. However, i have already used all the available space on the SSD, and would now like to download games and store it in the Hard Drive. I have already went to the settings and put...