Windows 10: Booting Up Windows Ubuntu On SSD, Windows on HDD

Discus and support Booting Up Windows Ubuntu On SSD, Windows on HDD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello People, This morning i tried booting up into Windows 8.1, and i got this error Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Gianmarco¬, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Booting Up Windows Ubuntu On SSD, Windows on HDD

Hello People,

This morning i tried booting up into Windows 8.1, and i got this error

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:​

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
    3. Click "Repair your computer".

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.​

File: \BCD

Info: The boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system.

Now, my BIOS mode is UEFI, but i can change it to legacy. The first thing i did was download a Windows 10 ISO. I put it on the USB with Balena Etcher and then i restarted the PC. Nothing, the PC couldn't detect the USB. So now, i don't know what to do.

I used EasyBCD for Ubuntu Entry. I think that messed up my partition

PC: Acer

MotherBoard Name: Aspire GX-281

Bios Version: R01-A4

:)

Gianmarco¬, Sep 13, 2020
  2. Ediolot Win User

Dual boot on SSD and HDD (Windows 10 and Ubuntu)

I have an Acer Aspire S3 (20GB SSD and ~500GB HDD) and I want to install Windows 10 on the SSD while creating a ~400GB partion on the HDD for windows. I would use the other 100GB on the HDD to install Ubuntu (I wont be using Ubuntu very often). This is what I did:

1. Format the SSD and the HDD
    2. Install Windows 10 on the SSD
    3. Use diskpart to create a partition of 400GB in the HDD
    4. Configure windows
    5. Install Ubuntu
      • Create partitions for swap, / and /home in the 100GB of the HDD
      • Tell Ubuntu to install the boot loader on the SSD

But now, the computer start's always with windows instead of loading grub. I took a look at the Bios boot order then, but I couldnt find the SSD (I thought that was the reason why grub wasnt loading (?)). This was the boot order:

1. USB HDD:
    2. HDD: Hitachi HTS54...
    3. USB FDD:
    4. Network Boot:
    5. USB CDROM:

(Hitachi HTS54 ... Is my HDD)

Is there anyway to repair this or any steps to do it correctly ?
    Thanks

Ediolot, Sep 13, 2020
  3. HDD Issue Windows 10

Recently i upgraded to windows 10.

During the update, it failed several times but after suggestions from forum i removed my HDD drive and successfully updated to windows 10 with my SSD , after the update Windows doesn't detect my HDD,

Situation

1. My HDD and SSD both are visible in BIOS options,( I have UBUNTU in HDD and windows in SSD i can easily boot in ubuntu with my hdd )

2. But my windows 10 cant detect it, it's not even shown in Device Manager.

3. Even windows under advanced startup options (Boot with USB ) can detect my HDD and shows Ubuntu in it.

Now what to do , i can do nothing as its not showing in device manager.??????

BalarkTiwari, Sep 13, 2020
  4. user33331 Win User

Booting Up Windows Ubuntu On SSD, Windows on HDD

Laptops can't boot from optical HDD\SSD caddy :-(

Hello
    I have been investigating *a lot* and trying to boot a 2015 year HP Pavilion DV7 17-f076no (Serial: J1X05EA#UUW) from a Chinese Ebay optical drive HDD\SSD caddy:
    Read multiple forum questions that had the same problem as I: ( Bios can't find a bootable SSD inside optical caddy )
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...find-caddy-SSD-in-BIOS-boot-list/td-p/3278964
    Tom's Hardware: For The Hardcore PC Enthusiast

Startup:
    • Cloned a 1000gb HDD containing 100/1000gb of Windows 10 Home 64-bit to a 500gb SSD with a EZ Gig IV 4.6.2 cloning software and a USB-SATA transfer cable.
    • Original 1000gb HDD is still inside the laptop.
    • DVD-drive replaced with a 500gb SSD caddy.
    So far:
    • The SSD (=2018 Samsung 860EVO 500gb) can be used and seen inside Windows 10. ( As a storage only )
    • The 2015 Bios F.43 Rev.A American Megatrends Inc. can not see the SSD from the BIOS boot order. Windows Boot Manager sees only the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy boot-mode is disabled. I don't think enabling it would help since I'm starting up Windows 10.
    Solutions:
    • Faulty caddy ? Chinese sellers sell many multiple variations of different 9.7mm thick caddys with different micro switches. This one had only a 1 pc of micro switch with 2 position choices.
    • Bios is just not flexible enough. Open the 20+pcs of laptop screws and put the SSD to the place of the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy mode ?
    • Modding the caddy. Someone said the caddy is in a "power saving sleep mode" when inside BIOS and it is therefore unseen and shortening some pins would help ? Any experience in soldering the caddy electronics so that it is constantly awake ? This sounds believable ?
    • Cloned the HDD twice to minimize errors but no help I doubt it is because of the cloning process and if it is it is because the HDD and SSD were not the same size 1000gb and 1000gb and the partitions don't match or so...?
    Laptops are not easy...

user33331, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

Booting Up Windows Ubuntu On SSD, Windows on HDD

1. Booting Up Windows Ubuntu On SSD, Windows on HDD - Similar Threads - Booting Ubuntu SSD

2. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD Required to boot SSD: I've installed windows 10 on a new SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB and it works just fine currently using it to create this post. However, my problem is that it seems that I need my old HDD to be able to boot the SDD. I want to set the SSD as the primary bootable device, but when I...
  3. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD Required to boot SSD: I've installed windows 10 on a new SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB and it works just fine currently using it to create this post. However, my problem is that it seems that I need my old HDD to be able to boot the SDD. I want to set the SSD as the primary bootable device, but when I...
  4. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD showing up as HDD: My SSD is showing up as HDD in task manager and disk management, i need it to show up as SSD so i can install windows subsystem for android https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-showing-up-as-hdd/d314266f-d87b-446a-bc38-31e6655fed25
  6. Advise on shifting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advise on shifting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from HDD to SSD: Currently I'm dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu from an old 500 GB HDD. I got a 120 GB SSD and I want to transfer both the OS to the SSD. Youtube tutorials were a bit confusing so I would like some input on the way I'm planning to achieve this. Firstly, I'm planning to...
  7. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD showing up as HDD: Hey there, I recently had a 1TB Seagate HDD installed on to my Asus ROG laptop which already had an inbuilt 1TB SSD. But I am surprised as to why my Task Manager enlists my SSD with the credentials of my HDD and my HDD with that of my SSD. I know it is switched because my...
  8. Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu: I've dual booted my computer with Ubuntu, I was able to boot into it for a while until windows updated itself and now it skips over the Linux boot menu. Secure and fast boot are both disabled. I've tried adding Ubuntu onto the Windows boot menu but I can't get that to work...
  9. SSD & HDD Boot Up Sequence Wrong

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD & HDD Boot Up Sequence Wrong: On Update 1803 it completely trashed my setup. I had windows 10 on my 500gb Crucial SSD and my original HDD was a storage drive. When I went to update to 1803 I was then informed that I didn't have enough space on my SSD to perform and update.... which was strange since...
  10. SSD-Windows 10 + Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    SSD-Windows 10 + Ubuntu: In the computer I have a 120 GB SSD and a 1000 GB HDD. In DDE (formatted in a single partition) I installed Windows 10 Pro. I would like to install all in the SDS a Linux distribution. How do I do? Thank you very much. 107065