Windows 10: Booting USB installation media on a UEFI system.

Discus and support Booting USB installation media on a UEFI system. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It might be worth it to make a sticky referencing the Windows 7 tutorial for creating USB flash installation media, specifically the part 11 about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FuturDreamz, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Booting USB installation media on a UEFI system.

It might be worth it to make a sticky referencing the Windows 7 tutorial for creating USB flash installation media, specifically the part 11 about moving the EFI files around. I have been bashing my head trying to figure out why my laptop refuses to acknowledge ANY USB Media (never tried CDs) and the conclusion I came to was that my laptop had booting from USB disabled, NOT that the ISO still doesn't have working boot files when flashed with Rufus.

It would've been nice to know before caving and upgrading (and subsequently downgrading) my Windows 8.1 install.

I am sorry that I'm ranting about this, but I honestly did try searching the problems and such, and not finding anything I assumed that it was a problem with my specific hardware.

I'm sure it is obvious where to find it, but it would be nice if in the installation and setup forum there is a sticky with links to relevant tutorials (such as setting up dual-boot, making a USB flash drive, installing the TP in a virtual machine)

:)

FuturDreamz, Feb 4, 2015
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Error using USB bootable Windows 10 ISO

When you use a USB drive for you media it needs to be formatted as FAT32 for UEFI. Then when you boot you may need to use some type of Boot Device Menu to select the UEFI version.

A UEFI system will normally boot from the Windows Boot Manger on an installed system. But if you put the correct DVD it should have booted after showing a message to tap a key to boot the DVD. Make sure the DVD is loaded
    before you start the boot. The media is read early in the boot process and won't pick it up if not installed prior.

When you get the GPT message, you are correct in saying the install/recovery media had been booted as Legacy. Something about you media or Bios settings are not correct.

Saltgrass, Feb 4, 2015
  3. Cannot reset my pc nor do anything, keeps asking for defaultuser0 password which I dont have....HELP

Defaultuser0 password is normally blank.

You can perform a cold boot by holding down the power button until the machine is powered off.

Keep your USB Install media connected, power on the system then configure your computer to boot from the USB media then perform the custom install:

If you don't know how to configure your computer to boot from the USB drive, check out the following article learn how:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/bios-uefi-setu...

Andre Da Costa, Feb 4, 2015
  4. brummyfan Win User

Booting USB installation media on a UEFI system.

I am going to try tomorrow morning and see whether I could install Win10TP with the bootable USB drive, I always use the DVD but would like to try the USB disk.

brummyfan, Feb 5, 2015
  5. badrobot Win User
    Yes you can. That is my standard procedure. 10x faster than DVD. *Smile

badrobot, Feb 5, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Feb 5, 2015
  7. badrobot Win User
    Thanks.. I just tested the ScreenGIF program. It works with WIndows 10. *Smile

badrobot, Feb 5, 2015
  8. brummyfan Win User

Yes you can. That is my standard procedure. 10x faster than DVD. *Smile Yes, it's fast, glad I have learned something new today *Dinesh

brummyfan, Feb 5, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    jimbo45, Feb 5, 2015
  10. Please re-read the original post.

FuturDreamz, Feb 5, 2015
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Please re-read the original post.
    Hi there OK that program is mentioned in the tutorial. Otherwise I think the OP is slightly confusing as to exactly what is wanted. The Tutorial should be updated to say this works in W10 as well. The title Windows 7 ..... might also confuse people into thinking that it is for W7 instead of W7 AND OTHER OS'ES INCLUDING W10.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2015
  12. Please re-read the original post.
    Hi there OK that program is mentioned in the tutorial. Otherwise I think the OP is slightly confusing as to exactly what is wanted. The Tutorial should be updated to say this works in W10 as well. The title Windows 7 ..... might also confuse people into thinking that it is for W7 instead of W7 AND OTHER OS'ES INCLUDING W10.

Cheers
    jimbo I'm not confused as to what I wanted. Just that I had assumed that effectively hacking the EFI files around was no longer necessary with OSs that launched on UEFI systems, and I was unable to locate anything that indicated that the problem I was having was NOT specific to my hardware. As in the last two paragraphs of the original post.

FuturDreamz, Feb 5, 2015
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Sometimes what's clear to posters of threads isn't always obvious to the subsequent readers. It's often quite hard explaining stuff which might seem obvious to one person but confusing to another --believe me I've taught in enough classes in my time to people of all sorts of different abilities and interests and it most definitely is NOT easy.

Not having a go at you but I was confused into what you actually wanted. No offence meant but that was my point.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2015
  14. And I do have to apologize. I should've rephrased what I had originally written. I quite often not catch things when the context is off, so I'm not really in a position to argue.

FuturDreamz, Feb 5, 2015
  15. Saltgrass Win User
    The .iso does already contain the correct boot configuration for UEFI. I just use Diskpart to set the drive then copy over the files from the mounted .iso. When a new build becomes available, I remove the prior files and copy over the new ones.

It does need to be formatted as Fat32 to be UEFI bootable. You do of course need the x64 bit version of the OS.

Saltgrass, Feb 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Booting USB installation media on a UEFI system. - Similar Threads - Booting USB installation

2. Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode: I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 on my computer. The first time I installed windows it was done in legacy mode and worked find. That was 3 years ago now. I made a bootable usb with the windows media creation tool and tried to boot it using UEFI and the ASROCK logo comes up...
  3. Windows UEFI USB boot not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows UEFI USB boot not working: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SkyyTheGuy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k67yly/windows_uefi_usb_boot_not_working/
  4. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems: Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible. On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for...
  5. Dell UEFI USB Boot

Dell UEFI USB Boot: Hi all, Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have already gone through a number of fixes but nothing seems to be working for me so far. I have been provided with a USB with an MDT image on to re-image a number of PCs but soon realised it was formatted in NTFS due...
  6. Error Legacy Boot of UEFI Media

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Error Legacy Boot of UEFI Media: I need to install windows on my laptop and this screen popped up when I tried to boot it from a USB. I looked up how to fix this error but I don’t know how to safely exit this screen and get back to my desktop. Would greatly appreciate any help! [IMG]...
  7. BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot

BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot: Hi, Problem I'm trying to boot from a USB pen ( Windows Install, Hirens, Any OTHER ) The problem is it sometimes works , sometimes as in Windows installer works when I wipe the on board drive. I can't get it to boot to anything else even when the on board drive it...
  8. USB Installer UEFI or Not?

USB Installer UEFI or Not?: Hey guys, I'm not so organized due to my health. I have multiple Windows 10 Installers, Linux etc, and usually choose to download the iso and create my own USB Installers, and usually label them appropriately. I have this one that I'm not sure if it was installed as UEFI, is...
  9. Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI

Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI: Hello! I have my laptop since last december (less than a year), and for unknown reasons, I got a BSOD a few weeks ago and none of the available recovery tools managed to bring me back to my desktop; not even a refresh. That's when I promised myself that I would never ever...
  10. UEFI installation on non-UEFI system

UEFI installation on non-UEFI system: Hi there, I wanted to boot an existing Windows 10 install taken from a UEFI notebook into an older non-UEFI notebook and I only get a flashing cursor. Booted with an installation media and the automatic startup repair did not work. Browsing online I tried re-creating the...