Windows 10: booting win 10 using a fat32 flash drive

Discus and support booting win 10 using a fat32 flash drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Help me understand this plaease!!. My laptop has crashed and will not reboot, I beleive I have the "blue screen of death" and auto repair loop of doom.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by seanThotmail, Jun 13, 2019.

1. booting win 10 using a fat32 flash drive

Help me understand this plaease!!. My laptop has crashed and will not reboot, I beleive I have the "blue screen of death" and auto repair loop of doom. None of the recovery options work including full refresh which deletes everything. So my next step was to download win10 ISO from MS website onto my clean USB flash stick (which countless pages from google say I can do) BUT the ISO is 4.6Gb the USB is FAT32 which will not hold files larger than 4Gb. I formatted the USB stick to NTFS and tried again the download worked so the ISO is on a the flash BUT although the BIOS is set to UEFI and to boot from external disk the machine still won't boot, possibly because it doesnt like the NTFS format. How will I ever get this machine going again as I can't even see a way to put a fresh install on if the thing wont read the flash stick.

Thanks for any help

:)

seanThotmail, Jun 13, 2019
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jun 13, 2019
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Problem booting from Win 10 USB Flash Drive made per tutorial

Another victim of Rufus and it's too complicated settings. I don't recommend anybody use Rufus to create a Windows 10 USB flash drive.

Prepare the flash drive as follows:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

At step 9, make sure to use fat32 as stated in the "important" box:
    9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER

For step 12, mount the Windows ISO file you downloaded and copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive and you're done. You have a flash drive that will boot both legacy BIOS and UEFI.

NavyLCDR, Jun 13, 2019
  4. booting win 10 using a fat32 flash drive

Can't format flash drive to FAT32 in Windows 10

It can be done without any third party tools.

Step 1:

Look in Explorer to check the drive letter.

Step 2:

Open Command Prompt and type:

format /FS:FAT32 X:

(Change X to the drive letter from step 1)

This will format the drive as FAT32, useful for creating pen drives that boot to UEFI such as modern PCs with secure boot enabled.

To create a Windows disk just double-click a Windows ISO and when it opens copy and paste the contents to the Pen drive.

Then boot the PC you want to re-install and pressing F10 as it boots and select to boot from the new install media you just created.

robinwilson16, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

booting win 10 using a fat32 flash drive

1. booting win 10 using a fat32 flash drive - Similar Threads - booting using fat32

2. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  3. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  4. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 and using jump/flash plug in drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 and using jump/flash plug in drives: I can't get my new win 10 pc to recognize, or show me onscreen, how to use plugged in jump drives..... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-and-using-jumpflash-plug-in-drives/aeea2459-bb6e-4f6c-b1e3-f11c2f5db252
  6. FAT32 to NTFS Flash Drive error? Flash Drive is empty after back up

FAT32 to NTFS Flash Drive error? Flash Drive is empty after back up: Hi! I am freaking out a bit.. My laptop took a tumble and the harddrive skipped (or something), leading me to have to back up my files and restart to factory settings. The blue screen lead me to the back up, but my flash drive was required to format to NTFS from FAT32 per the...
  7. win 10 media will create flash drive that does not boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 10 media will create flash drive that does not boot: The new win 10 error 0x80070020-0xA001A when trying to make a iso dvd but lets you make a flash drive that does not boot but has a setup.exe that will download windows but does not offer repair like a iso used to. This new windows does not make things easy when there auto...
  8. Windows 10 recovery usb flash drive , formatted fat32 or NTFS?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 recovery usb flash drive , formatted fat32 or NTFS?: Sirs, I have an old pc and Bios ( non UEFI) . i formatted NTFS the 8GB usb flash drive, then found the Recovery drive creator by opening Control Panel (Windows key + X) Open Recovery Click Create Recovery drive , flash usb drive inserted , box labeled "Back up...
  9. Boot from USB flash drive only with FAT32 and no multi-boot support?

Boot from USB flash drive only with FAT32 and no multi-boot support?: I have a (new) Acer Swift notebook which does not allow to switch/enable Legacy BIOS mode. So I can only disable "Secure Boot" and use UEFI. However my bootable, GPT and NTFS formatted USB flash drive is NOT recognized or even bootable. It works on other computers. I read...
  10. Boot from USB flash drive only with FAT32 and no multi-boot support?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from USB flash drive only with FAT32 and no multi-boot support?: I have a (new) Acer Swift notebook which does not allow to switch/enable Legacy BIOS mode. So I can only disable "Secure Boot" and use UEFI. However my bootable, GPT and NTFS formatted USB flash drive is NOT recognized or even bootable. It works on other computers. I read...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. using fat32 on boot usb

2. usuing fat32 type format usb to boot

3. win 10 split iso for gpt fat32 usb using cmd

4. recovery usb windows cannot use fat32 format,
  5. booting from usb fat32?