Windows 10: Booting windows 10 after deleting grub.

Discus and support Booting windows 10 after deleting grub. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi! I am using windows 10 pro 64 bit . I have installed prime os in dual boot with windows 10. I have only the windows 8.1 32 bit bootable media.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by புதுக்கவிதைAMEER, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Booting windows 10 after deleting grub.

Hi!

I am using windows 10 pro 64 bit . I have installed prime os in dual boot with windows 10.

I have only the windows 8.1 32 bit bootable media. because my usb capacity is only 3.72 GB

After deleting grub loader, can i fix the grub error by this windows 8.1 32 bit bootable media's command prompt?

please reply as soon as possible.

Thank you.

:)

புதுக்கவிதைAMEER, Dec 18, 2020

2. Remove Grand Unified Boot Loader (GRUB) from Windows 10

I had that issue when Grub was deposited on my SSD when I had installed a Linux distro to a USB using Live Linux.

I followed the above and it didn't work, so despite installing windows again, the following below worked for me (Dell Inspiron 3148 notebook). Differences in latest version of Windows 10: CommandPrompt (Admin) is now PowerShell (Admin), and I found I had
    to omit the /S when I removed the ubuntu boot directory, so I typed rmdir ubuntu It is copied and pasted from the Ask Ubuntu forum.

This answer is for those with UEFI who have deleted the Ubuntu partitions before removing grub

You will be doing this from Windows 10. No bootable media required.

Where bootrec /fixmbr, bootsect /nt60 and the Ubuntu live with the boot-repair suggestions have failed, this has worked for me:

(This answer borrowed verbatim from here)

• Run a cmd.exe process with administrator privileges
    • Run diskpart
    • Type: list disk then sel disk X where X is the drive your boot files reside on
    • Type list vol to see all partitions (volumes) on the disk
    • Select the EFI volume by typing: sel vol Y where Y is the SYSTEM volume (this is almost always the EFI partition)
    • For convenience, assign a drive letter by typing: assign letter=Z: where Z is a free (unused) drive letter
    • Type exit to leave disk part
    • While still in the cmd prompt, type: Z: and hit enter, where Z was the drive letter you just created.
    • Type dir to list directories on this mounted EFI partition
    • If you are in the right place, you should see a directory called EFI
    • Type cd EFI and then dir to list the child directories inside EFI
    • Type rmdir /S ubuntu to delete the ubuntu boot directory
    Assuming you only ever had two operating systems (Win 10 & Ubuntu) you should now be able to boot directly to Windows without hitting the black grub screen.

staffnsnake, Dec 18, 2020
  3. Deleting Grub GNU

I had installed Ubuntu as a dual boot option on my laptop. I have since deleted it but no matter what I have tried I can not get the grub loader off my computer. I have tried the following:

used disk manager to delete the Ubuntu partition

tried bootrec/fix mbr and fix boot

totally reset the PC deleting all files and reinstalling windows 10

Yet its still on my laptop. Windows loads fine but I would like still like the grub loader gone. I believe its in the EFI partition and am not sure if I delete the partition through "diskpart" if it will cause problems when booting the system and if I can
    reinstall the EFI that's supposed to be there.

dropkickhazy, Dec 18, 2020
  4. snayob Win User

Booting windows 10 after deleting grub.

Dual boot not reaching windows, but grub detects it

After you move disks, partitions (eventually add/delete partitions) the principle for fixing boot is always:

1. Fix Windows boot
    2. Fix GRUB boot

in that order.

Boot configuration should be such that Windows must be able to boot alone without the help of any other boot loader/manager!

What does Windows 10/8/7 use for booting with BIOS firmware (and MBR style disk):

1. MBR
    2. PBR of active partition
    3. bootmgr on active partition
    4. BCD on active partition

in that order.

A Windows 10 installation/repair USB/DVD can be used to fix boot in this case.

See fix Windows 10/8/7 boot for help on repair steps.

For fixing GRUB you can use a Linux live CD/USB.

Be aware that after a Windows 10 version upgrade/update it possible that Windows will overwrite MBR (overwrite GRUB boot code in MBR)!

Suggestion - use Windows boot manager to dual-boot Windows and Linux.

snayob, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

Booting windows 10 after deleting grub.

1. Booting windows 10 after deleting grub. - Similar Threads - Booting deleting grub

2. Boots into Grub.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boots into Grub.: Whilst Windows Update was running, my laptop crashed, as i had forgotten to switch the PSU on. Now when I boot the laptop it goes straight into Grub, typing "exit" it then allows Windows to load. Could you please help me to make my machine normal. Thankyou...
  3. Boots into Grub.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boots into Grub.: Whilst Windows Update was running, my laptop crashed, as i had forgotten to switch the PSU on. Now when I boot the laptop it goes straight into Grub, typing "exit" it then allows Windows to load. Could you please help me to make my machine normal. Thankyou...
  4. Windows 11 not booting after install, redirecting to GRUB rescue.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 not booting after install, redirecting to GRUB rescue.: Hi. I just finished updating to Windows 11 from Windows 10 whilst dual-booting Manjaro and have encountered an error. I will provide as much information as possible:Upon boot, GRUB rescue appears this is because I have installed Manjaro Linux. Within my BIOS settings,...
  5. Stuck in grub after deleting BOSS GNU LINUX

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in grub after deleting BOSS GNU LINUX: Actually I was using dual boot which was pre loaded in my HP laptop but I never used LINUX and deleted it and merge partition to windows 10 after that I restarted my laptop it shows grub screen.I have spent about 2 days in Google YouTube but getting same codes ie. Set boot...
  6. Grub Launcher upon boot into bootcamp Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Grub Launcher upon boot into bootcamp Windows 10: So I booted my 2013 Mac book Air today and was greeted with the grub rescue terminal. I was given no errors or context. Since this has happened on my PC in the past, I have tried Using the Windows Rescue tool with the boot fixer Using bootrec on the usb terminal Using...
  7. Delete Grub Bootloader?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delete Grub Bootloader?: Hi so I have win10 installed on my current PC but I want to install uBuntu too (how to do that I know). My question is how do I undo this, do I have to boot Win10 and delete the partition from uBuntu or do I have to do something on uBuntu myself? Grub Bootloader löschen?
  8. Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB)

Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB): I have a single disk laptop which I installed KDE Neon on. Now I want to remove it. Will I be able to simply download AOMEI tool and delete the Linux partition and use the built in fixmbr option? Every tutorial on yt has comments saying command lines are unreliable and I’m...
  9. Linux Mint Boot Manager (GRUB) Disappeared After Installing Windows 10

Linux Mint Boot Manager (GRUB) Disappeared After Installing Windows 10: Linux Mint was installed on Drive D. Windows 7 Was on Drive C. It was a dual booting machine. Then I installed Windows 10 on Windows 7. Deleted and formated C Drive. And when booted I have found only Windows 10 boot manager. Even though D drive remains good but Linux Mint...
  10. Problem booting windows from Grub

Problem booting windows from Grub: I have installed Windows 10 along with Ubuntu in my laptop. Windows is installed on an SSD and Ubuntu on HDD. When I try to boot Windows from GRUB, the following error message appears: error: no such device:D0FA-2FF1 error: disk 'hd1,gpt2' not found Another option gives:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Remove Grand Unified Boot Loader (GRUB) from windows 10 Windows 10

2. remove grub rescue after deleting windows