Windows 10: Booting windows 10 with legacy mode on or off, for dual boot with Mint

Discus and support Booting windows 10 with legacy mode on or off, for dual boot with Mint in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a desktop with a SSD of 250 GB running windows 10, I tried putting it into legacy mode in BIOS for dual booting with Linux Mint. But when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Novatian, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Novatian Win User

Booting windows 10 with legacy mode on or off, for dual boot with Mint

I have a desktop with a SSD of 250 GB running windows 10, I tried putting it into legacy mode in BIOS for dual booting with Linux Mint. But when I restart to check it, I get error 1962, no operating system found.

I made a partition in C drive and installed Mint on it, but during boot up, I go straight to windows with no mint option.

I tried Windows 10 fast boot stopper from the tutorial here, maybe too late, it made no difference.

EasyBDC is blocked from Linux options in editing boot menu.

I don't want to lose windows 10, but would like Mint as well. Any experience or advice, is there a tutorial?

:)

Novatian, Jan 15, 2018

2. Dual boot options- Ubuntu and Windows 10

Original Title[Dual Boot]

I have updated from windows 8.1 to Windows 10 quite recently, now I want to dual boot my laptop Dell Inspiron 3542, with Ubuntu. But the thing I heard all over the Internet is about the UEFI and Legacy Boot modes and mine is in UEFi mode. In the boot options
    there is an option to change boot mode from UEFi to Legacy BIOS. Is it safe to do so. Doing so, does it help to dual boot with Ubuntu?

My boot mode is set to: UEFI with Legacy OPROM.

Sundar kumar Akella, Jan 15, 2018
  3. SusanF66 Win User
    Windows 10 and my 8.1/Mint 17.1 dual boot

I currently dual boot Windows 8.1 and Mint 17.1. When I turn on my computer, I see GRUB with a choice of Mint or the Windows bootloader. During the set up of my dual boot, I used a method that installed Mint's bootloader to the Windows 8.1 EFI system partition
    so that Mint boots in UEFI mode. Does the upgrade of Windows 10 install a new EFI partition and/or bootloader on an up-to-date Windows 8.1 machine? If so, is it possible to install Windows 10 to use the existing EFI partition for its own bootloader, preserving
    the ability to access the Mint partition without the need to repair/reinstall GRUB? Thanks.

SusanF66, Jan 15, 2018
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Not sure why you'd want to double boot Linux Mint -- run it as a Virtual machine -- simple / easy and you can switch from one OS to the other without a re-boot.

Linux mint on a Virtual machine can easily run in 1GB of Virtual memory and say 12 - 20 GB GB of HDD space --better if stored on an SSD.

Use VBOX or VMPLAYER (both free) for installing the Linux VM. Linux mint usually works straight OOB. For VMPLAYER though your Windows 10 HOST machine must be 64 bit

- the GUEST (VM) can be either 32 or 64 bit.

You can also have fun with other Linux distros or even other versions of Windows using VM's --remember though a Windows VM needs a licence just like a Real machine. Linux distros are always free at consumer level.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 15, 2018
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    In order to boot in Legacy BIOS mode (CSM) the SSD has to be partitioned as MBR. Since your system was set up as UEFI originally, it is partitioned using GPT and had an EFI System Partition. That's why legacy booting can't find the OS.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Booting windows 10 with legacy mode on or off, for dual boot with Mint - Similar Threads - Booting legacy mode

2. boot mode is set to : legacy ; secure boot : off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    boot mode is set to : legacy ; secure boot : off: when i start my laptop this image come . how to solve this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-mode-is-set-to-legacy-secure-boot-off/3dc795a0-4f54-498b-a899-2309ae4addc1
  3. boot mode is set to : legacy ; secure boot : off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot mode is set to : legacy ; secure boot : off: when i start my laptop this image come . how to solve this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-mode-is-set-to-legacy-secure-boot-off/3dc795a0-4f54-498b-a899-2309ae4addc1
  4. Revising dual boot to add Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Revising dual boot to add Linux Mint: System: 2 internal SATA hard drives Windows 10 Home 1909 on HD0 / Windows 7 on HD1 BIOS/MBR boot (boot order CD, HD0, USB, HD1) OS installs on dedicated partitions bootloader on HD0 (Win10) I want to install Linux Mint to HD1 to replace Windows 7. Basic steps AFAIK: create...
  5. Dual boot Windows10 and Linux Mint

Dual boot Windows10 and Linux Mint: I am kinda stuck here.I installed windows10on an old dell desktop.Also decided to dualboot with Linux Mint so I could play around.Anyway,my grandson would like the computer so I deleted the linux partition.Now when I boot up or restart is shows GNU GRUB 2.4 and then a...
  6. Windows 10 unable to hibernate after dual booting linux mint.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 unable to hibernate after dual booting linux mint.: I have just installed linux mint alongside windows 10. Afterwards when i try to hibernate windows 10 it just brings me back to the logon screen. How am i able to hibernate windows 10 again?...
  7. DUAL BOOT PROBLEM - Mint+W10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DUAL BOOT PROBLEM - Mint+W10: I have Linux Mint 19 installed in legacy mode, I wanted to dual boot with Windows 10 (I would install it later to recover the grub), but my pendrive will only boot in UEFI and Mint will not. I was wondering if it is possible to do a dual boot without any bootloader, like...
  8. change dual boot order windows 10 and linux mint

in Windows 10 Customization
    change dual boot order windows 10 and linux mint: how do i make windows 10 default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-dual-boot-order-windows-10-and-linux-mint/e68b3b6e-18b8-4fd9-9407-9d2bd94c3f37
  9. Dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint on 2 separate drives

Dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint on 2 separate drives: Hi guys Some questions please, i have recently installed Linux Mint 18.2 on my Windows 10 PC. Windows 10 is installed on my 500GB SSD. Linux Mint has been installed on a separate 120GB SSD, connected to a sata port. Its all working great, and i can dual boot, choosing...
  10. Sleep mode doesn't work with dual boot (Grub, installed by Linux Mint)

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep mode doesn't work with dual boot (Grub, installed by Linux Mint): Hello all, I recently re-installed Windows 10 on my laptop, and just after, I installed Linux Mint (Main Page - Linux Mint). Then, I had Grub 2.02beta2 to start either LM or Win, it works, but ...... if on Windows, I choose extend sleep mode (or classic sleep mode), my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual booting disk partition bios legacy

2. windows 10 linux mint dual boot legacy boot