Windows 10: Booting Windows on nvme takes 15 minutes, SOS

Discus and support Booting Windows on nvme takes 15 minutes, SOS in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I'm new here, so please let me know if I do something wrong! I desperately need help to fix this issue with my desktop, if anybody can help me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jo2503, May 18, 2021.

1. Jo2503 Win User

Booting Windows on nvme takes 15 minutes, SOS

Hello, I'm new here, so please let me know if I do something wrong! I desperately need help to fix this issue with my desktop, if anybody can help me I'll be forever grateful. My OS (Windows 10 pro 1803 on Samsung evo 970 M2) used to boot in a matter of seconds (with win fast startup activated), except sometimes rarely it would take much much longer, for unclear reasons. Because this used to happen rarely, I didn't bother to investigate into it. Recently I have added a new Samsung 870 evo sata SSD to the previous build, and installed on it a second Windows 10 pro, in dual boot. Since then, my old OS has begun to start all the times in that same sort of "slow boot version", whatever it is, only that now it always does that, so it obviously has become a big problem. (my guess is that in dual boot it's not doing the fast startup anymore, and that the regular boot might be hindered by some problem that was already there before, but I'm not a tech person so I could definitely be wrong) Behaviour: After powering it, and going through the normal sequence of motherboard logo and windows loader selection, if I pick the freshly installed Windows (with no drivers or updates installed yet), it will boot in seconds. If I pick the old one, it will bring back the motherboard logo and the dots circling, and this will go on for exactly 15 minutes, after which it suddenly logs in and starts up in seconds, without any further issues that I can tell. (I would say that I didn't see the light on the case blinking during the 15 minutes process, as if it wasn't in use, but I can't be sure) What I've tried: turned off "Fast startup" on both the OSs. Disabled hibernation. Installed Samsung nvme drivers. "sfc /verifyonly" reports no violation. Before attempting to flash the bios and doing all sorts of updates and stuff, I wanted to understand what's really going on during these cursed 15 minutes, so I came to know about the WPR. I installed the Windows Performance Toolkit to make a boot record, but I realized I don't know which parameters I should activate in Resource Analisys in this situation. (I don't want to risk breaking the computer with a huge recording of 15 minutes of boot, since I don't know exactly what I'm doing. xD ) Can anybody give me a suggestion on how to proceed? Is it possible to reduce the 15 minutes boot to maybe a couple of minutes, to make it more tolerable? Thanks to anybody who wants to help! Some additional info: -Because people will always ask why I want two copies of the same system and why I don't do updates, I will just explain it here and be done with it: the old OS is for my job, which is why I prefer to not update the system and the drivers unless it's really necessary. It happened to colleagues that updates broke the drivers of drawing tablets or other stuff that I need, and I don't want to go through that. For the same reason, I don't want to reinstall the system and lose all my settings and programs. (I also took a system image with the Windows tool before, as I didn't have other softwares to do it, I hope it's good enough in case of emergency.) I have installed the second Windows 10 OS with the intention of keeping the new one updated, to play games on it, although I never got around doing it yet. -The old OS was activated (NOT BY ME) with a KMS activator by the person that gave this machine to me. I have bought a licence myself and activated it, but (much to my dismay) I was told not to remove the activator, because doing so could break my Windows; so I kept it and added it to the Defender exceptions. One of my concerns is that this "software" could be causing some security issues; could that be related to the long boot? I'm curious to know if there is a way to get rid of it safely. -I noticed the UEFI is weirdly missing "NVME configuration" menu where the mobo manual says it should be, or at least I couldn't find it; but the nvme disk appears in 'boot priority', both as disk and as Windows Boot Manager. -the nvme is behind the graphic card, so I haven't tried to "unplug and replug" it because it's impossible to reach it without disassembling everything... -Did I write too much? ^^; Please, forgive me. Desktop machine specs: Motherboard: GA-AB350-GAMING3 CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x GPU: RTX 2070 RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Samsung evo 970 M2 (Windows 10 Pro 1803) Samsung evo 870 SATA (Windows 10 Pro fresh install) HDD for storage

:)

Jo2503, May 18, 2021

2. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, May 18, 2021
  3. Use bootloader from a SATA disk to boot Windows installation on a NVME disk

I've managed to get the system booting from the NVME some other way:

1. Converted the NVME to GPT using MBR2GPT.EXE
    2. Hacked NVME support into the bios

a1__Bart__1, May 18, 2021
  4. Booting Windows on nvme takes 15 minutes, SOS

Installing new NvMe drive and using it as primary boot runnig windows 10

Hello,

I have a preinstalled windows 10 along with 30+ apps(both from manufacturer and third party) running on my desktop. I recently bought the Samsung 960 evo NvMe drive and would like to use it as my new boot drive. I know that I have to create a bootable usb
    drive, disconnect all other SSD/HDD, leave only the NvMe drive, install windows on it and then reconnect all the drives back.

I would like to understand how I could create an ISO image of my preinstalled windows 10(along with all the updates, hardware drivers and apps) and make a bootable USB out of it. Is it possible? if so, could anyone list the steps needed or point me to a
    thread or post online? Thank you.

SusheelPalkamsetti, May 18, 2021
Thema:

Booting Windows on nvme takes 15 minutes, SOS

1. Booting Windows on nvme takes 15 minutes, SOS - Similar Threads - Booting nvme takes

2. Windows 10 takes 20 minutes to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 takes 20 minutes to boot: I have a three-year-old MSI laptop running Windows 10. Recently, it has taken forever to boot. Initially, the slow down was a "mere" 2-3 minutes, but now it's about 20 minutes to go from POST to the Windows 10 login.I found this answer in my search:...
  3. Win 10 login takes 15 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 login takes 15 minutes: My Windows 10 system takes approx 15 min to boot 2 min and logon 13 min. The time has been gradually increasing for sever months. During this time there is continuous disk activity, as shown by the front panel LED.I want to determine the causes of this delay, and fix the...
  4. Booting Windows on nvme takes 15 minutes, SOS

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting Windows on nvme takes 15 minutes, SOS: Hello, I'm new here, so please let me know if I do something wrong! I desperately need help to fix this issue with my desktop, if anybody can help me I'll be forever grateful. My OS (Windows 10 pro 1803 on Samsung evo 970 M2) used to boot in a matter of seconds (with win fast...
  5. welcome screen taking 15 minutes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    welcome screen taking 15 minutes: when i startup my pc it takes 15 minutes to get past the login/welcome screen beacause its stuck on the welcome load thing i dont know if this is normal altho i have used 1.3 tb of my 2 tb hhd...
  6. Windows 10 takes 15 minutes to start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 takes 15 minutes to start: You will see this problem posted all over the web on various support forums MS or not. As with most windows problems, these are the solutions you will see run sfc/dism disable unnecessary background processes update drivers It is true that you do need to use sfc/dism...
  7. windows 20h2 takes 73 minutes to boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 20h2 takes 73 minutes to boot: so when i update to 20h2 it take 73 mins to boot like it shouldnt even take that long somebody help me please im trying to do my school on it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-20h2-takes-73-minutes-to-boot/0cd6b4fb-3915-4b9b-b08f-78ad2fc81b64
  8. Windows boot up takes 30 minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows boot up takes 30 minutes: Hey guys, I have a problem with system Boot. Last months i have a problem booting my PC, it takes more than 20 minutes to boot up. It used to do this only when the computer was restarted, now it always happens when I turn on the computer. Here is link with System Summary...
  9. PC consistently taking 15 minutes to boot to windows after CPU upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC consistently taking 15 minutes to boot to windows after CPU upgrade: This is happening on a MSI B350 Gaming Pro mobo, with a Ryzen 5 3600 (previously a Ryzen 5 1400, on which the problem did not occur.) I had previously mentioned this problem in a post to this subreddit when I first encountered the problem. The fact that it started happening...
  10. Windows 10 taking 1 hour 15 minutes on average to boot up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 taking 1 hour 15 minutes on average to boot up: Hopefully someone can point me the right direction here, about a week ago Windows started taking a very long time to boot up, after powering on and off a few times during this boot, an option was presented to fix windows and lose all of my apps/programs I did this and Windows...