Windows 10: Booting with CMD instead of explorer.exe

Discus and support Booting with CMD instead of explorer.exe in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys! So yesterday I turned my laptop off for about 3 to 4 hours and when I turned it back on, after i put in my password, instead of booting with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JpN10, Sep 24, 2019.

1. JpN10 Win User

Booting with CMD instead of explorer.exe

Hi guys!

So yesterday I turned my laptop off for about 3 to 4 hours and when I turned it back on, after i put in my password, instead of booting with explorer as usual a cmd prompt popped up (as shown in the print that I was hopefully able to attach to this). When I type in "explorer.exe" on the prompt everything pops up normally, and everything works normally (as far as I know), but every time I turn it off and on again, it always boots with cmd instead of explorer...
    Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

:)

JpN10, Sep 24, 2019
  2. MrTuna141 Win User

Trying to open cmd but file explorer opens instead

When i try to open cmd or run a batch file, file explorer opens instead.

MrTuna141, Sep 24, 2019
  3. File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 24, 2019
  4. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Booting with CMD instead of explorer.exe - Similar Threads - Booting CMD instead

2. unable to access .CMD and .EXE files from explorer on external drives.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to access .CMD and .EXE files from explorer on external drives.: I opened up my system today only to discover that i am unable to access any of my programs i have installed on external drives. the drives themselves are being detected and by windows, and are being assigned a drive letter, but if i try and open a program from explorer, I get...
  3. cannot run an exe file in CMD asministrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot run an exe file in CMD asministrator: From exe file property ===> check: Run this program as an administrator open cmd: run as adminitrator type cd ==> enter C:\Users\MYNAME\Downloads\Programs\Apps\Viber Setup ==> Enter ===> 'C:\Users\MYNAME' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable...
  4. Select C:\winddows\SysWow64\cmd. exe

in Windows 10 Support
    Select C:\winddows\SysWow64\cmd. exe: when trying to open "Uninstall or change a program", " System properties" from This PC or trying from right click on desktop to open Personalization or Display setting, a cmd open and close right after and nothing happens, but if click on that cmd right before it close, it...
  5. cmd on boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    cmd on boot: hi lately when i boot up my pc log in to windows it looks like cmd opens then closes its hard to tell because it happens so fast but im pretty sure its either cmd or power-shell does anyone have any idea why its doing this and if its bad. i will try and see if i can get a...
  6. Explorer and cmd not starting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer and cmd not starting: Explorer.exe doesn't start automatically.. I need to ctrl-alt-canc and start it manually. Once loaded, I try to run cmd.exe and nothing happens.. What can I do? submitted by /u/Putrid-Farter [link] [comments]...
  7. Explorer,EXE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  8. Explorer process and CMD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer process and CMD: Hello guys! I've changed startup shell from explorer.exe to cmd.exe. Now when I type explorer or other combinations in cmd, it opens me only file manager. Any suggestions? Thank you!...
  9. X:\windows\system32\cmd. Exe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    X:\windows\system32\cmd. Exe: Bonjour j'ai un problème avec mon pc (un lenovo yoga 300). À la fin d'une mise à jour, j'ai dû redémarrer mon pc et après le redémarrage je tombe sur une page qui me demande de choisir en l'option *Dépannage ou *Éteindre le pc. [IMG] J'ai donc essayé l'option dépannage:...
  10. Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit

in Windows 10 Support
    Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit: I did a very stupid thing. I tried to make windows block one application by creating registry in Policies/Explorer named RestrictRun. I did it and then I also created DisallowRun. In KEy Restrict run I added one application, but i couldnt create key for DisallowRun and...
Tags: