Windows 10: Bootloader issues with multi-boot

Discus and support Bootloader issues with multi-boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to dual-boot Win 10 (64-bit) and WinXP (32-bit). If I try to go to WinXP, the entire system just restarts, then restarts once more when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Rae, Oct 4, 2015.

1. RAE
    Rae Win User

Bootloader issues with multi-boot

I'm trying to dual-boot Win 10 (64-bit) and WinXP (32-bit). If I try to go to WinXP, the entire system just restarts, then restarts once more when I get back into the bootloader.

I tried using Dual Boot Repair, but all it did was add a redundant item to my bootloader menu.

Please help.
    Thank you.

:)

2. jbootland Win User

Cumulative Update KB3194798 failing to install

Looked at your link.. Sadly none of the repairs there were associated to my system at all. I am on a HP Laptop, which I have made the HD a multi-boot (Yes this was a challenge and a chore to get to work right).

(Yes, overkill .. I'm a geek.. go figure)

Bootloader : Grub 2.02 (linux based bootloader)

And here is what I think is happening, that the windows update is trying to modify the boot sector, or something associated to it, but because I am on the multi-boot using Grub Bootloader, it can not find what it is looking for, and fails.

SOLUTION - FOUND !!

Ok, when doing multi-boots it often changes the 'ACTIVE PARTITION'

Suggested to you all to try !

Step 1: Right Click on windows icon (bottom left on your taskbar) should open a menu

Step 2: Select Disk Management in the menu

Step 3: In the Disk Management window, right click on your Windows Drive (usually defaulted to C: )

- Can be done in either half, upper or lower

Step 4: In the new menu that opens 'Mark Partition as Active' is what you select

Then Attempt the Update. (This resolved the issue for me, please mark as HELPFUL if it works for you!)

jbootland, Oct 4, 2015
  3. Tomazsi Win User
    Cumulative update (KB 3135173) fails to install, just like KB 3124262 and KB 3124263

I had the same problem, impossible to update or turning on/off any windows feature. It always failed to update, than undoing changes, rebooting... I have dual boot system with Ubuntu and Windows 10 with Grub2 bootloader because win bootloader can't load
    linux...

Maybe this fix works in single boot systems same way and the reason for this update fails is corrupted bootloader.

Ok so my solution for this problem was (not fastest one or permanent, but it's nice to update system every few months):

1. Booting to windows with live windows10 USB, should work same with windows10 DVD,

2. Then click Repair your computer - Advance options - Command Prompt - type "bootrec /fixmbr" (it does not delete any data, it only changes back to windows boot loader),

3. Exit Command Prompt, Reboot,

4. Download and run Windows Update Troubleshooter just to be sure,

5. Update

6. If you have multi boot system use
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    to restore back to multi boot. Use recommended repair and carefully follow instructions.

Hope this helps to someone.

Tomazsi, Oct 4, 2015
Thema:

Bootloader issues with multi-boot

1. Bootloader issues with multi-boot - Similar Threads - Bootloader issues multi

2. Multi Booting Windows Vista With current 4 Multi Boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multi Booting Windows Vista With current 4 Multi Boots: So, I have 4 OS es multi booted already, namely Win11, Win10, Win8.1, Win7.I'm going to make it a 5 by adding windows vista to it. And I have noticed when Installing a new o perating system, the boot menu and the bootloader changes. I don't want it to change and it should be...
  3. Multi Booting Windows Vista With current 4 Multi Boots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multi Booting Windows Vista With current 4 Multi Boots: So, I have 4 OS es multi booted already, namely Win11, Win10, Win8.1, Win7.I'm going to make it a 5 by adding windows vista to it. And I have noticed when Installing a new o perating system, the boot menu and the bootloader changes. I don't want it to change and it should be...
  4. Cant boot into BIOS or BOOTLOADER

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant boot into BIOS or BOOTLOADER: I cant boot into my BIOS or BOOTLOADER anymore, dont know why, when i press DELETE (which is my BIOS button) i get a blank screen and the computer doesnt seem to go past POST - same with F12 any ideas? i have win10 1909 CPU i5 ivy bridge (v3) 12Gb RAM Samsung SSD Gigabyte...
  5. Multi OS boot screen issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multi OS boot screen issue: Hi, I have 3 OS on 1 Disk Drive (3partitions), 2x w8.1pro 64bit (not activated) & w10pro 64bit (activated). normally ok but the boot screen did not show & the pc booted into the latest installation, w10. I fixed this by changing setting the default in System Configuration &...
  6. Bootloader Issue?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootloader Issue?: I'm not really sure which category this would go under, but here's my issue. I got a PC that has Windows 10 preinstalled on it and I wanted to run windows 7. I created a different partition then installed Windows 7. All the drivers worked and got installed. I wanted the...
  7. Automatic boot using the UFEI bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatic boot using the UFEI bootloader: How can I configure Win 10 to automatically use the UFEI OS bootloader rather than the default Windows (BIOS) bootloader? 68207
  8. BCDEdit to create a multi-bootloader thumbdrive ?

BCDEdit to create a multi-bootloader thumbdrive ?: Correct me if I'm wrong, can you not use BCDEdit to create a multi-bootloader thumbdrive ? 65793
  9. Problems with bootloader in multi-boot setup

Problems with bootloader in multi-boot setup: Hello, all. I'm triple-booting (or trying to) on two hard drives: one has XP (32-bit) and 10 (64-bit) and one has Ubuntu 15.04 (64-bit). If I try to boot into XP, my whole system restarts. When I try to go back to Windows bootloader, my system restarts a second time....
  10. Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue

Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue: Ok so here's what has happened. I have a multi boot system. Windows 10 on my M2 hard drive. Then on another SSD I have Windows 10 Creators addition that I use to test updates . Then 1 more SSD that has Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. All were booting fine using Easy BCD until I...