Windows 10: Bootloader

Discus and support Bootloader in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I tried to create a USB external SSD portable Ubuntu. I followed the online instructions so as not to affect my bootloader. Guess what, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jonnym, May 13, 2021.

1. jonnym Win User

Bootloader

Hello I tried to create a USB external SSD portable Ubuntu. I followed the online instructions so as not to affect my bootloader. Guess what, it affected my bootloader . Without doing a clean install is there a way to restore the bootloader which is relatively straightforward? It currently only boots if the ubuntu SSD is plugged in and shows the duel boot. Its a Surface Pro Gen 1,(very old) and its seems to have a bios and UEFI, and an EFI partition Windows repair didn't help. Thanks for any help

:)

jonnym, May 13, 2021
  2. whatitdo6 Win User

How To Fix The Windows 10 Bootloader

THANK YOU. This solved it. I think this was mentioned earlier by you or someone else perhaps but I've messed around with it enough now where I vaguely understood what the commands were doing. I actually had to delete the partition, recreate it, and re write the BCD as you suggested in Step 3.

Shoutout to @topgundcp I'm sure that last method you suggested would have worked too, but now I understand how to do it manually, so I learned something.

Also, thank you @NavyLCDR for your help as well.

I have ONE last question, any SAFE way to remove the old ubuntu EFI entries that are present in my UEFI as boot options?

edit: Nvm, figured it out. For anyone else wanting to know how to remove old EFI boot entries, use "EasyUEFI" it is super easy. Took like 10 seconds after install. I DID have two identical looking EFI's for my samsung ssd, one of them, in the details, showed that it had no file path. I assumed that was my old broken one and deleted it, must have been correct bc my computer boots up perfect.

Thanks!!!

whatitdo6, May 13, 2021
  3. How to make Windows 10 bootloader As default bootloader

If you're using UEFI, you might have to use that to edit.
    Modified from here:
    How to set Windows bootloader as default bootloader?
    To repair your Windows bootloader, if you have a Windows CD

1. Boot from CD
    2. From title screen, open terminal (the button is usually in bottom left corner)
    3. Execute bootrec /fixmbr

If this doesn't give desired results, try bootrec /fixboot

Allan Smithee, May 13, 2021
  4. Darknova Win User

Bootloader

vista bootloader problems

I've explained this so many times...

Basically if you use Vista and Linux, you are stuck with the Vista bootloader. It's only a bootloader. I had XP, Vista and Linux all running out of the Vista bootloader with no issues.

A Bootloader is nothing more than a tiny bit of software that allows you to choose which set of commands/OS to launch.

You want to use Ubuntu and Vista, you've gotta use the Vista bootloader.

Darknova, May 13, 2021
Thema:

Bootloader

1. Bootloader - Similar Threads - Bootloader

2. Windows 10 has no bootloader - no BCD - help!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 has no bootloader - no BCD - help!: Ok I swore I just posted this but it's gone? I'll try again, long story short, I have no bootloader. I cannot get BCD to work properly and msconfig is empty under my boot tab. I've tried bootbcd in command prompt, didn't work (no errors just didn't give me a working boot...
  3. External Bootloader & Bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External Bootloader & Bitlocker: Hello I'm trying to create the following windows 10 set up on a pc: - two windows 10 installations - one installation is bitlocker encrypted also the windows 10 system reserved partitions should be if possible - the other installation is clear - the on disk bootloader...
  4. Bootloader description set as "ubuntu"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bootloader description set as "ubuntu": Hello there, Recently I tried out Ubuntu by dual booting it alongside Windows 10. Later I figured that I don't really need Ubuntu and that it's not really an OS for me so I've removed it. The problem is that bootloader still has description set as "ubuntu". Will that in any...
  5. Black screen instead of bootloader, then start

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen instead of bootloader, then start: Hello, I had Windows 10 installed on one partition, and then installed Windows 10 on another partition. The first time I restarted the laptop after the installation finished, I got the "Choose an operating system" (you know, the blue menu with white font) menu (with the two...
  6. [guide] Modifying disk UniqueId +BootLoader to point at it

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    [guide] Modifying disk UniqueId +BootLoader to point at it: Hello, im now happily re-writing my post since while intending to ask how to do it after breaking my head on it, while writing this thread it forced me to check all things and it made me realize what and how to do it, so this is now a guide. First is the guide how to repair...
  7. Windows 10 Notification "STM32 BOOTLOADER SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED".

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Notification "STM32 BOOTLOADER SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED".: Hello - hopefully this is the right place to ask. I had above notification popup on windows 10 out of the blue - I have checked online and can't find anything related. Is this something I should be concerned about? I am currently running a full system scan. The driver shows...
  8. Ventoy iso bootloader EASY installs from usb for any iso os file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ventoy iso bootloader EASY installs from usb for any iso os file: Releases . ventoy/Ventoy . GitHub Ventoy All you do is run ventoy to install it to the usb drive as a bootloader. Then copy as many ISO install files as you want on the usb. ventoy boots and shows a menu of the iso files, pick one and it will boot the iso and install...
  9. How to install default bootloader

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install default bootloader: I recently had a problem in Win 10. Via "msconfig", restarted my pc in safe mode. Once booted up, and @ the login screen, Windows requested my pin, when I attempted to enter my pin. I was given the msg, "can't access your security pin currently". Tried a few different ways to...
  10. Does installing windows 10 reinstalls the w10 bootloader?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does installing windows 10 reinstalls the w10 bootloader?: in short, i cant turn on my pc because i dont have a bootloader(even if i have Windows), this happenend because i deleted a partition with Ubuntu on it submitted by /u/MatteoDE [link] [comments]...