Windows 10: Bootmgr is missing // BSOD inaccessible boot device

Discus and support Bootmgr is missing // BSOD inaccessible boot device in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok y'all, it's like I am playing a fishing game to get my computer started most of the time. First, when I start the computer I get bootmgr is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ascenine, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Ascenine Win User

Bootmgr is missing // BSOD inaccessible boot device

Ok y'all, it's like I am playing a fishing game to get my computer started most of the time.

First, when I start the computer I get bootmgr is missing. (My main drive is the first boot up device is BIOS)

Then after reset and hit escape to load boot menu, my main drive is number one and I just hit enter.

After that, it may or may not start to load windows. If it does not load windows I get the error inaccessible boot device. If it does, then great. I am fine until the next restart.

If I have to reset twice, to try and get windows to load, it will go to "automatic repair tool" of which I get choose your keyboard layout.Neither my mouse or keyboard work.

This has literally cost me hours just trying to start my computer. I am not computer illiterate, nor am I an expert. But I can tell you I upgraded my hard drive about two years ago. When I had windows 7 it started just fine. I recently did a fresh install (hp recovery) and again in windows 7 it booted just fine. Then I did the upgrade to win10 and got my problem again.

On a side note, before I did a fresh install, I have an external usb HDD, and I unplugged it when I restarted my computer (trying to troubleshoot this problem) and I lost my main internal hard drive in the boot menu (but it would show in BIOS) after hitting escape upon startup. That was what caused me to do the fresh install. Yes, I unplugged the external drive when doing the fresh install.

I don't see any startup repair options, and everything always checks out OK on any diagnostics program.

I am including a screenshot with disk management because I think it might have something to do with that.

I was thinking that it had something to do with the main drive not being the MBR drive, but I don't know enough about it.
    Bootmgr is missing // BSOD inaccessible boot device [​IMG]

I am at a loss, it's a great computer, it just needs to start up.

PC Specs are HP 6520F upgraded RAM/HDD/Graphics cards/Power supply. Windows 10. I don't really think it's a hardware issue as my computer runs just fine when it starts. But I am not sure if its a windows issue or an HP kind of thing.

I tried to be as detailed as possible. If you need any other info, of course I will be waiting to answer.

Thank you.

:)

Ascenine, Apr 30, 2017
  2. Kapil Arya MVP, Apr 30, 2017
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Apr 30, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. If you disconect the second drive does it refuse to boot? It looks like it boots off the second drive then pass back to the first drive for drive c

Samuria, Apr 30, 2017
  5. Ascenine Win User
    If I reply back pretty quick it might work. If it takes me a while, probably not. But will reply when I come back.

Ascenine, Apr 30, 2017
  6. Ascenine Win User
    My computer has never booted faster. It worked. Thank you!
    Now the obvious follow up question is how do i get my computer to not read the 2nd drive on startup.

To add to that I plugged my 2nd hdd in while it was on (thinking it would read it like an external) and immediately got the bsod in windows. I don't necessarily need the drive. But its a Tb worth of storage that works. Just got to figure out how.

Should i do a fresh install with just my main drive plugged in and add the second later?

I think for now I am just going to try and start it with both drives plugged in and format the 2nd disk.

Ascenine, Apr 30, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    Leave disk 2 out for a day or so so you are sure it boots ok. Once you know its ok the problem is disk 2 is set as active you need to set it inactive which should solve it How To: Mark Partition As Inactive | TommyNation.com ( double check you get the right drive)or just delete the first small partition you need to expand the parition on the second drive as you have tons of free space you can doit without loosing data

Samuria, Apr 30, 2017
  8. Ascenine Win User

I marked it as inactive. I formatted the whole drive. It's one big empty space right now. I don't get bootmgr is missing anymore, but I get the BSOD "inaccessible boot device" every time the 2nd hard drive is plugged in (as windows prepares checking all the devices, but before I see my desktop loading/welcome screen). Every time it's not plugged in, it starts like a charm.
    I am going to do it as a precaution, but I am sure the drive isn't bad. I am going reboot and run the check that I can run from the BIOS screen on the drive.

Ascenine, Apr 30, 2017
  9. Samuria Win User
    Check to see if it's set active again by default when you reformat it's sets it active. Did you delete all partitions first?

Samuria, Apr 30, 2017
  10. Ascenine Win User
    Yes sir. And I have done it again as well, just as a precaution. And the check disk found no errors.
    I don't think it means anything but it went from disk 1 (disk 0 being the main drive) to disk 5 in disk management.

Problem still persists

Ascenine, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Bootmgr is missing // BSOD inaccessible boot device - Similar Threads - Bootmgr missing BSOD

2. INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE: Hey so I recently ordered an acre aspire 5 labtop from Amazon that was renewed and when I got it the security seal was ripped. Didn’t think much from it until I opened it and started using it for a little bit. I started to notice that the computer was really out of date and...
  3. BSOD inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD inaccessible boot device: I keep getting the bsod for inaccessible boot device on my laptop. I can start up and use it normally for a certain period of time 5-15 min before it gives me the error message. I am not sure what to do. It also seems odd that I am able to use it as most people seem to not be...
  4. BSOD inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD inaccessible boot device: I keep getting the bsod for inaccessible boot device on my laptop. I can start up and use it normally for a certain period of time 5-15 min before it gives me the error message. I am not sure what to do. It also seems odd that I am able to use it as most people seem to not be...
  5. BSOD inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Inaccessible Boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccessible Boot device: I went to restart my laptop and it did but then said “ Your device has Run into a problem” and the reason is like Inaccessible boot device and I’ve tried everything but command prompt because it will not accept my password.I even reset it and still it will not work please...
  7. Inaccessible Boot device

Inaccessible Boot device: I went to restart my laptop and it did but then said “ Your device has Run into a problem” and the reason is like Inaccessible boot device and I’ve tried everything but command prompt because it will not accept my password.I even reset it and still it will not work please...
  8. BSOD inaccessible boot device error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD inaccessible boot device error: A couple of days ago I got the BSOD inaccessible boot device on my Windows computer after 2 years of problem free use. My only HDD is a SSD m.2 samsung 970 evo. When I list the volumes I have 3: Volume. Ltr. Label. ... Info Volume 0 C. reserved ... Volume 1 D ... Volume 2 E...
  9. BSOD inaccessible boot device

BSOD inaccessible boot device: Hey so i literally cant turn my pc on , i keep getting the bsod and i have tried everything , startup repair , tried repairing my pc with an usb that has windows 10 on it , tried system restore , uninstall the latest updates but i cant even uninstall them , none of them...
  10. BSOD - Inaccessible Boot Device

BSOD - Inaccessible Boot Device: Ok, I think I'm in a big doodoo now, really big. The rig is: Windows 10 1803 on an crucial ssd mx250 drive (ahcpi in bios), the latest dec 11 cumulative update was ready to be dowloaded, but has not been installed. Everything was fine, until I foolishly decided to follow...