Windows 10: Bootrec commands giving unexpected responses

Discus and support Bootrec commands giving unexpected responses in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After a fresh install of Windows 10 on my Acer Swift, I tried running the command: bootrec /scanos. This command however is showing 0 total Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by McDucky, May 8, 2020.

1. McDucky Win User

Bootrec commands giving unexpected responses

After a fresh install of Windows 10 on my Acer Swift, I tried running the command: bootrec /scanos.

This command however is showing 0 total Windows Installations. Windows boots and BIOS Settings appear normal. The computer can run updates and is currently up-to-date.

This issue appeared after failed attempts at dualbooting Windows 10 and Linux. I decided to completely reinstall Windows 10 fresh on the computer after cleaning all partitions. The issue persisted after fresh installation. Previously had BIOS settings access issues with what appeared to be corrupted Microsoft and grub bootloaders. I was trying to fix them with the bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot commands, this was follows by the boorec /scanos command showing 0 Total Windows installations.

Searching online has yielded little information to my specific situation I assume it's a command that is not often run after a fresh installation.

Simply put: Is this normal?

P.S. I have another computer that has been updated from its original Win8 to win 10 which oddly enough also shows "Total identified Windows installations: 0"

:)

McDucky, May 8, 2020

2. bootrec not recognized by command prompt

Like I said bootrec commands has error of saying "'Bootrec' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file." which is why I posted a question here on the first place.

Both step 6 and 7 work but step 8 keeps telling me that The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

first alternative link you posted shows about exporting bcd which was on step 6 which I already done so that doesnt help because my problem now is step 8 which is renaming before doing the bootrec /rebuildbcd and the
    other alternative you posted involves clean install like I said I'm not going to do.

dacoolmike, May 8, 2020
  3. John Fer Win User
    Stuck with a black screen with white circle of dots

Thank you for the quick reply. Let’s disregard for now the messages that you get with chkdsk. We suggest repeating the steps that you did to access command prompt via Windows Recovery Environment. Then on the command prompt, please type the following command
    one by one and get back to us with the return message from each command:

• bootrec /scanos
    • bootrec /fixMBR
    • bootrec /fixBoot
    • bootrec /rebuildBCD

We’ll be waiting for your response.

John Fer, May 8, 2020
  4. Bootrec commands giving unexpected responses

bootrec not recognized by command prompt

I tried bootrec commands same error its not recognized. And step 8 where i rename the volume also has an error that the process is being used. I'm starting to lose hope.

dacoolmike, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Bootrec commands giving unexpected responses

1. Bootrec commands giving unexpected responses - Similar Threads - Bootrec commands giving

2. 0xc000000e error and can’t do bootrec command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0xc000000e error and can’t do bootrec command: The computer has that error come up and I’m not able to do the bootrec /fixboot command or any bootrec command because it comes up and says it doesn’t exist internally or externally paraphrasedSometimes it also boots into the computer normally before kicking you out and...
  3. 0xc000000e error and can’t do bootrec command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0xc000000e error and can’t do bootrec command: The computer has that error come up and I’m not able to do the bootrec /fixboot command or any bootrec command because it comes up and says it doesn’t exist internally or externally paraphrasedSometimes it also boots into the computer normally before kicking you out and...
  4. 0xc000000e error and can’t do bootrec command

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. The command prompt cannot run the bootrec command to enter the bcd configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The command prompt cannot run the bootrec command to enter the bcd configuration: Hi,When I set the easybcd boot entries for multi-hard drives in EasyBcd, I can then in the command prompt in the windows 10 installation media type bootrec /rebuildbcd for both a lagecy installed hard drive and a uefi installed hard drive. Because for the hard drive that has...
  6. Bootrec is not recognized as an internal command

in Windows 10 News
    Bootrec is not recognized as an internal command: [ATTACH]Bootrec.exe is a built-in tool in Windows operating system used to fix Windows startup issues. You will face startup problems on your Windows computer if the Master Boot Record (MBR), the Boot Sector, or the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) is/are corrupted. In such...
  7. Bootrec /rebuildbcd gives "Element not found."

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootrec /rebuildbcd gives "Element not found.": Hi folks, Long story short, I moved my C:/ partition and now I can't boot into Windows. I get a 0xc000000f error when I try - boot configuration data is missing or contains errors, file: \Boot\BCD - and it is an MBR disk. I suspect what I need to do is rebuild the boot...
  8. Browsers and softwares not giving response.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Browsers and softwares not giving response.: Internet is being connected. but none of my browsers( firefox, chrome or edge) is giving response. They are not even opening, how many times i may click. Also, none of my installed softwares are giving response. Pre-installed apps are working properly. Search dialog box in...
  9. bootrec not recognized by command prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    bootrec not recognized by command prompt: Guys please help when I go to windows automatic repair an error pops out saying "Windows automatic repair could not fix your pc" so I tried going to command prompt running with admin of course and using the code bootrec /RebuildBcd and bootrec /FixBoot to fix it but a message...
  10. Dir command gives unexpected / unwanted results

in Windows 10 Support
    Dir command gives unexpected / unwanted results: If I open a command prompt window and give the command " dir *.xls", I also get all xlsm, xlsx, xlsq etc files. This behaviour is unwanted and illogical. it makes scripting hopelessly complex and unreliable. If I wanted those files, I would issue a "dir *.xls?" command. For...