Windows 10: Bootrec.exercise will not run with /fixboot argument

Discus and support Bootrec.exercise will not run with /fixboot argument in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am trying to resolve a Windows boot up issue using the bootrec.exe utility. The program resides in my c:\windows\system32 directory. Running the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drhansenjr, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Bootrec.exercise will not run with /fixboot argument

I am trying to resolve a Windows boot up issue using the bootrec.exe utility. The program resides in my c:\windows\system32 directory. Running the program with no arguments responds with a thick hyphen character. But when I try to run "bootrec /fixboot", I get the error message "The system cannot find the file specified."

What am I doing wrong?

Thx

:)

drhansenjr, Dec 10, 2018
  2. sad-icus Win User

Error Code 0xc000000e “element not found” bootrec /fixboot

Error Code 0xc000000e

attempting Win10 Recovery from USB

Trying to fix corrupted “C” drive yet the recovery command prompt stars at “x:\Sources>”

“element not found” bootrec /fixboot

How to select the correct disk and make the Windows active and run the commands again?

If the commands are run from “x:\Sources>” or "x:\Windows\System32" it gives the same error.

here is what's been tried: [FIX] Windows 10 Master Boot Record Is Corrupted

• BOOTREC /FIXMBR (ok)

• BOOTREC /FIXBOOT (“element not found”)

• BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD (have not made it to this step)

sad-icus, Dec 10, 2018
  3. Touchbase Win User
    Bootrec /fixboot access denied. Various solutions not working

As alpha45 said the repair environment in the latest version of Windows 10 is not working correctly. I had the dreaded Boot Error 0xc000000e on my rig after using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), to remove my graphics driver.
    I couldn't work out why that would have happened but I thought this will be an easy fix. Just run some bootrec commands from the command prompt and I'll be back in business. But no it wasn't to be. Firstly I tried a USB with Win 10 V1803 which has all versions on it;

Incidently I'm running Win 10 Pro V1803. I then ran the following commands;

bootrec /fixmbr operation completed successfully
    bootrec /fixboot access denied
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    a Windows installation found (great), add installation to boot list - yes - no device found. Great.

I remembered vaguely someone online mentioning that the latest Win 10 build had a problem with the repair environment and in looking online I found this post and the mention of that exact problem by alpha45 again prompted me to to try an earlier version to see what would happen. So I attempted the above using a DVD I had with Win 10 V1709, same result. So I then went hunting and found a copy of Windows 10 Pro V1603 I had on DVD and repeated the steps above. All steps were reported as successful. I shutdown the pc, restarted and Windows booted successfully. I was very relieved I can tell you. So thanks alpha45 and I think this post will help many others as well.

Touchbase, Dec 10, 2018
  4. Bootrec.exercise will not run with /fixboot argument

Windows 10 can't boot, bootrec /fixboot access denied

Windows 10 will not boot (stuck on the rotating circles), after uninstalling Ubuntu by deleting the partition.

I attempted to use bootrec to fix it, however bootrec /fixboot gives me access denied.

bootrec /findos lists 0 found windows installations.

On a laptop (no cd drive, no usb stick >= 8gb).

Windows version 10.0.16299.15

255d3af3-fe36-4c6b-9538-72e7ec9c32ff, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

Bootrec.exercise will not run with /fixboot argument

1. Bootrec.exercise will not run with /fixboot argument - Similar Threads - Bootrec exercise run

2. can't resolve bootrec /fixboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can't resolve bootrec /fixboot: I've tried the official guides on how to curb the boot problem that you see black screen and only the mouse pointer that maps and loads ... When I get to do bootrec /fixboot it tells me access engaged, so I started looking for how to solve this problem, I tried all the guides...
  3. can resolve bootrec /fixboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can resolve bootrec /fixboot: I've tried the official guides on how to curb the boot problem that you see black screen and only the mouse pointer that maps and loads ... When I get to do bootrec /fixboot it tells me access engaged, so I started looking for how to solve this problem, I tried all the guides...
  4. can resolve bootrec /fixboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can resolve bootrec /fixboot: I've tried the official guides on how to curb the boot problem that you see black screen and only the mouse pointer that maps and loads ... When I get to do bootrec /fixboot it tells me access engaged, so I started looking for how to solve this problem, I tried all the guides...
  5. can resolve bootrec /fixboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Bootrec /fixboot access denied?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootrec /fixboot access denied?: My boot record got corrupted, I am unable to start Win10. I did all of the auto recovery options none had work. I am at the CMD and tried bootrec /fixboot but get access denied. I reformated boot partition to FAT32, copied boot files using bcdboot from \windows directory...
  7. "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...

"bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...: This answer from last year seemed to address the non-booting issue, but completely ignores the original problem statement, "Might be worth nothing that bootrec /fixboot returned as having denied access."...
  8. Bootrec /fixboot → "Element not found"

Bootrec /fixboot → "Element not found": Using Macrium Reflect, I cloned my system SSD to a larger SSD, but the new SSD won't boot. (error 0xc000000e; this is obviously after powering down and disconnecting the old SSD.) This is on an old PC using BIOS booting and MBR disks. I created a Windows 10 installation DVD,...
  9. Access denied on bootrec /fixboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Access denied on bootrec /fixboot: Hello, I installed Windows 10 version 1809 recently. It crashed after a system restore and did not boot anymore. So I used the installation disk and tried out the inbuilt repair functions, which did not work. I also tried line commands, which worked expect bootrec /fixboot....
  10. bootrec /fixboot access is denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bootrec /fixboot access is denied: My Windows upgrade is failed and force the PC to power off while it is still writing to the disk, and appeared the blue screen error "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". and I run the command "bootrec /fixboot", however, I received the "bootrec /fixboot access is denied" error...