Windows 10: bootrec /rebuildbcd command returns 0 Windows installations found, Windows 10 laptop.

Discus and support bootrec /rebuildbcd command returns 0 Windows installations found, Windows 10 laptop. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is on Windows 10. My laptop won’t boot and I’ve tried auto repair with no success. Now I’m trying to repair my boot configuration following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ThomasCoffey Jr., Nov 10, 2018.

1. bootrec /rebuildbcd command returns 0 Windows installations found, Windows 10 laptop.

This is on Windows 10.

My laptop won’t boot and I’ve tried auto repair with no success. Now I’m trying to repair my boot configuration following information from the internet and I’m running into a problem. So far I’ve been using the following commands with some success.

At a Command prompt.
    1. bootrec /rebuildbcd
    2. bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
    3. attribute c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
    4. ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    all of these commands return successful.
    5. bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Here’s where I run into the problem. It never finds a Windows installation and always returns 0.
    My configuration looks something like this.
    Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    Volume 0. WIWIRE_Dr. NTFS. Partition 1000MB Healthy
    Volume 1. C Windows8_OS NTFS Partition 916GB. Healthy
    Volume 2 RAW. Partition. 13GB. Healthy
    Volume 3 3. FAT32. Partition. 260MB. Healthy. Hidden
    Volume 4. D. ESD-USB. FAT32. Partition. 14GB. Healthy
    Volume 5. RAW. Partition. 14GB. Healthy. Hidden

I’ve figured out Volume 1 is obviously my Windows Partition. Volume 4 is my USB Windows recovery drive I’m using. And I believe Volume 3 is my boot volume. Volume 2 or 5 must be the OEM recovery partitions which should actually be Windows 8 which is what originally came on this laptop. I’ve since upgraded to Windows 10 so they would technically be useless.

I do know that my boot Volume is listed as hidden but I don’t think that makes any difference as I think it’s supposed to be that way.

My original question is, what can I do about bootrec /rebuildbcd always returning 0 Windows installations found? I have looked at the Windows folder on the C: drive and everything appears to be there and in order as far as I can tell but I’m far from an expert.

Any ideas?
    Ive also tried tried to access my backup registry stored in the registry backup folder but they all had a zero file size so that was a bust. Thankfully, the actual registry files have actual file sizes so they look to be okay as far as i can tell.
    Thanks in advance.

Tom.

:)

ThomasCoffey Jr., Nov 10, 2018

2. bootrec /scanos Returns 0 windows installations.

Hey,

I have a dual booted PC running Windows 10 and Ubuntu, from which I removed Ubuntu and grub. I have been able to boot into the Windows successfully but when in recovery i use commands such as bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd it returns, 0 windows installation
    found. How is this happening, and also is it harmful in any way for my pc.

antimony96, Nov 10, 2018
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    bootrec /scanos Returns 0 windows installations.

the bootrec/scanos command only shows installs which are not already included in the BCD store. If you can boot your system, it must be there. Rebuildbcd should have seen something.

I don't have a lot of experience with Grub so can't really speculate on whether it might still be active.

While you are in the command prompt, type bcdedit and see what the listing shows.

Saltgrass, Nov 10, 2018
  4. LukasVeit Win User

bootrec /rebuildbcd command returns 0 Windows installations found, Windows 10 laptop.

bootrec /rebuildbcd can't find windows

Hey,

The command bootrec /rebuildbcd identificiates 0 Windows installations.

I already checked this thread Total identified Windows installations: 0 identified Windows installations: 0 - Microsoft Community

I found this tutorial:

bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
    attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

The second command with attrib is not working because it can't find the path.

What shall I do?

LukasVeit, Nov 10, 2018
Thema:

bootrec /rebuildbcd command returns 0 Windows installations found, Windows 10 laptop.

1. bootrec /rebuildbcd command returns 0 Windows installations found, Windows 10 laptop. - Similar Threads - bootrec rebuildbcd command

2. understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.: I've been trying to find an explanation of what the mbr, boot record and bcd store are.I've seen info like this ..https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-bootrec-exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues-902ebb04-daa3-4f90-579f-0fbf51f7dd5dand I understand I...
  3. bootrec /scanos and /rebuildbcd finds 0 windows installations normal?

in Windows 10 Support
    bootrec /scanos and /rebuildbcd finds 0 windows installations normal?: Is it normal for bootrec /scanos and bootrec /rebuildbcd to find 0 windows installations? From what I've gathered by searching online, it's quite not normal, but it also seems to be only for legacy BIOS. I'm using UEFI and can boot into windows fine, but bootrec still only...
  4. Bootrec /rebuildbcd gives "Element not found."

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootrec /rebuildbcd gives "Element not found.": Hi folks, Long story short, I moved my C:/ partition and now I can't boot into Windows. I get a 0xc000000f error when I try - boot configuration data is missing or contains errors, file: \Boot\BCD - and it is an MBR disk. I suspect what I need to do is rebuild the boot...
  5. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: Hello recently my system got a BSOD while downloading something which led to corruption of system files, i was able to correct them using sfc/scannow and chkdsk /s /r , i can boot into windows normally but whenever i try to boot into windows recovery environment, i get the...
  6. "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...: This answer from last year seemed to address the non-booting issue, but completely ignores the original problem statement, "Might be worth nothing that bootrec /fixboot returned as having denied access."...
  7. windows 10 bootrec /rebuildbcd no result

windows 10 bootrec /rebuildbcd no result: Hi everyone, I had 3 OS on my computer, Windows 10, Windows 8 and Ubuntu. Because I didn't use it anymore, I messed up deleting the partition containing Ubuntu, so now the computer starts in 'grub rescue mode'. What I want to do is recovering the Windows bootloader to have...
  8. bootrec /rebuildbcd errors

bootrec /rebuildbcd errors: I am in the Windows recovery mode cmdline. After I type bootrec /rebuildbcd and hit 'y' and 'n' accordingly to adjust my boot configs, I get the following error: The system cannot find the path specified...
  9. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: I'm getting an odd issue where if I run either command, they don't run all the way through. bootrec /scanos doesn't tell me how many (if any) installations of Windows were found, and bootrec /rebuildbcd tells me it might take a while, but then quits after a few seconds with...
  10. bootrec /rebuildbcd does not find Windows XP

bootrec /rebuildbcd does not find Windows XP: Hello - the original problem was that msconfig showed the system stuck in Selective mode with "use original boot configuration" grayed out, so attempts to put the system back to Normal mode failed. I used the established procedures to recreate the BCD (the following...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bootrec scanos returns 0

2. bootrec /rebuildbcd windows 10

3. bootrec /scanos

4. bootrec /RebuildBcd,
  5. bootrec rebuildbcd 0 installations,
  6. bootrec /rebuildbcd 0 installations,
  7. bootrec /scanos 0 installations,
  8. bootrec commands ,
  9. bootrec scanos 0 windows installations,
  10. bootrec /scanos returns 0,
  11. rebuildbcd no windows installation found,