Windows 10: bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available

Discus and support bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have the following problem. I CAN boot to Windows as always, this is the strange part. I did a repair install recently using the .ISO, in order to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by EduardoAlvarado6, Jul 23, 2020.

1. bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available

I have the following problem.

I CAN boot to Windows as always, this is the strange part. I did a repair install recently using the .ISO, in order to fix some Windows Updates that were giving me error. After finishing, a new folder windows.old was created in C:/.

In the last days I was running into some problems while doing dual-boot. At the end, I decided to delete my Ubuntu partition. After that, I had to fix Grub, so I went to my recovery USB, then Throubleshooting > Command Line, and write the following commands with the respective results

bootrec.exe /fixboot -> permission denied

bootrec.exe /fixmbr -> works succesfully

bootrec /rebuildbcd -> it says that there is only one installation of Windows, windows.old!

I decided to delete windows.old, since it was too heavy. Now, by doing the same, bootrec /rebuildbcd says that there is "0" installation, none.

I decided to do a new repair install, and again, I have my windows.old, and is the only installation that bootrec /rebuildbcd shows.

In the mid-time, this keeps creating some recovery partition of 685 Mb. I already have two!

bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available 02bca12c-84f4-4024-9799-85782bab3a63?upload=true.png

Again, it boots fine, but also when I try to do dual-boot with Ubuntu again, it fails the installation, just crashes. I really think that something is messed up, and it goes through that problem with the "0" installations fount.

I also tried to use diskpart to make C:/ active, but I got that the folder C:\boot\BCR does not exists. This is the folder:

bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available 80ff3a61-ee3c-4308-964b-f1df1642f8a9?upload=true.png

Can you help me please? I am really desperate. Thanks!

:)

EduardoAlvarado6, Jul 23, 2020

2. bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old (when available)

I have the following problem.

I CAN boot to Windows as always, this is the strange part. I did a repair install recently using the .ISO, in order to fix some Windows Updates that were giving me error. After finishing, a new folder (windows.old) was created in
    C:/.

In the last days I was running into some problems while doing dual-boot. At the end, I decided to delete my Ubuntu partition. After that, I had to fix Grub, so I went to my recovery USB, then Throubleshooting > Command Line, and write the following commands
    (with the respective results)

bootrec.exe /fixboot -> permission denied

bootrec.exe /fixmbr -> works succesfully

bootrec /rebuildbcd -> it says that there is only one installation of Windows, windows.old!

I decided to delete windows.old, since it was too heavy. Now, by doing the same, bootrec /rebuildbcd says that there is "0" installation, none.

I decided to do a new repair install, and again, I have my windows.old, and
    is the only installation that bootrec /rebuildbcd shows

In the mid-time, this keeps creating some recovery partition of 685 Mb. I already have two!

bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available 02bca12c-84f4-4024-9799-85782bab3a63?upload=true.png

Again, it boots fine, but also when I try to do dual-boot with Ubuntu again, it fails the installation, just crashes. I really think that something is messed up, and it goes through that problem with the "0" installations fount.

I also tried to use diskpart to make C:/ active, but I got that the folder C:\boot\BCR does not exists. This is the folder:

bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available 80ff3a61-ee3c-4308-964b-f1df1642f8a9?upload=true.png

Can you help me please? I am really desperate. Thanks!

EduardoAlvarado6, Aug 3, 2020
  3. bootrec /rebuildbcd errors

I am in the Windows recovery mode cmdline. After I type bootrec /rebuildbcd and hit 'y' and 'n' accordingly to adjust my boot configs, I get the following error:

Proprietary Softwares, Aug 3, 2020
  4. powerlien Win User

bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available

bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

I'm getting an odd issue where if I run either command, they don't run all the way through. bootrec /scanos doesn't tell me how many (if any) installations of Windows were found, and bootrec /rebuildbcd tells me it might take a while, but then quits after
    a few seconds with no other words.

Might be worth nothing that bootrec /fixboot returned as having denied access.

Any thoughts?

powerlien, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available

1. bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available - Similar Threads - bootrec rebuildbcd fails

2. understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.: I've been trying to find an explanation of what the mbr, boot record and bcd store are.I've seen info like this ..https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-bootrec-exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues-902ebb04-daa3-4f90-579f-0fbf51f7dd5dand I understand I...
  3. understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.: I've been trying to find an explanation of what the mbr, boot record and bcd store are.I've seen info like this ..https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-bootrec-exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues-902ebb04-daa3-4f90-579f-0fbf51f7dd5dand I understand I...
  4. bootrec /scanos and /rebuildbcd finds 0 windows installations normal?

in Windows 10 Support
    bootrec /scanos and /rebuildbcd finds 0 windows installations normal?: Is it normal for bootrec /scanos and bootrec /rebuildbcd to find 0 windows installations? From what I've gathered by searching online, it's quite not normal, but it also seems to be only for legacy BIOS. I'm using UEFI and can boot into windows fine, but bootrec still only...
  5. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: Hello recently my system got a BSOD while downloading something which led to corruption of system files, i was able to correct them using sfc/scannow and chkdsk /s /r , i can boot into windows normally but whenever i try to boot into windows recovery environment, i get the...
  6. "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...: This answer from last year seemed to address the non-booting issue, but completely ignores the original problem statement, "Might be worth nothing that bootrec /fixboot returned as having denied access."...
  7. windows 10 bootrec /rebuildbcd no result

windows 10 bootrec /rebuildbcd no result: Hi everyone, I had 3 OS on my computer, Windows 10, Windows 8 and Ubuntu. Because I didn't use it anymore, I messed up deleting the partition containing Ubuntu, so now the computer starts in 'grub rescue mode'. What I want to do is recovering the Windows bootloader to have...
  8. bootrec /rebuildbcd errors

bootrec /rebuildbcd errors: I am in the Windows recovery mode cmdline. After I type bootrec /rebuildbcd and hit 'y' and 'n' accordingly to adjust my boot configs, I get the following error: The system cannot find the path specified...
  9. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: I'm getting an odd issue where if I run either command, they don't run all the way through. bootrec /scanos doesn't tell me how many (if any) installations of Windows were found, and bootrec /rebuildbcd tells me it might take a while, but then quits after a few seconds with...
  10. bootrec /rebuildbcd does not find Windows XP

bootrec /rebuildbcd does not find Windows XP: Hello - the original problem was that msconfig showed the system stuck in Selective mode with "use original boot configuration" grayed out, so attempts to put the system back to Normal mode failed. I used the established procedures to recreate the BCD (the following...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. rebuildbcd windows.old

3. bootrec scan os show only windows old

4. bootrec /Scanos Windows.old,
  5. bootrec scanos windows.old,
  6. scanos windows.old,
  7. windows10 only see old in bootrec,
  8. rebuildbcd only finds windows.old,
  9. bootrec find windows.old installation,
  10. bootrec only seeing windows.old