Windows 10: Bootrec /rebuildbcd gives "Element not found."

Discus and support Bootrec /rebuildbcd gives "Element not found." in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi folks, Long story short, I moved my C:/ partition and now I can't boot into Windows. I get a 0xc000000f error when I try - boot configuration data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jfrench, Mar 10, 2021.

1. jfrench Win User

Bootrec /rebuildbcd gives "Element not found."

Hi folks,

Long story short, I moved my C:/ partition and now I can't boot into Windows. I get a 0xc000000f error when I try - boot configuration data is missing or contains errors, file: \Boot\BCD - and it is an MBR disk.

I suspect what I need to do is rebuild the boot configuration to point to the new partition location - and indeed, when I run bootrec /rebuildbcd it successfully identifies my Windows partition. However, when I answer "yes" to the question "Add installation to boot list?" I get the message "Element not found."

NOTE: I have tried setting the partition to "active" using diskpart, but this does not seem to make a difference.

Any tips, or should I just scrap it and reinstall from scratch? My data is backed up. Thanks in advance!

:)

jfrench, Mar 10, 2021
  2. sad-icus Win User

Error Code 0xc000000e “element not found” bootrec /fixboot

Error Code 0xc000000e

attempting Win10 Recovery from USB

Trying to fix corrupted “C” drive yet the recovery command prompt stars at “x:\Sources>”

“element not found” bootrec /fixboot

How to select the correct disk and make the Windows active and run the commands again?

If the commands are run from “x:\Sources>” or "x:\Windows\System32" it gives the same error.

here is what's been tried: [FIX] Windows 10 Master Boot Record Is Corrupted

• BOOTREC /FIXMBR (ok)

• BOOTREC /FIXBOOT (“element not found”)

• BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD (have not made it to this step)

sad-icus, Mar 10, 2021
  3. Blaq Win User
    Bootrec /fixboot → "Element not found"

As posted above (images inline, this time):

List volume

Bootrec /rebuildbcd gives "Element not found." [​IMG]

List disk

Select disk 1
    List partition

4. DAN
    Dan Win User

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT => Element not found

So the other day, there is a post about this here but there have been some developments, I installed Linux Kali to dual boot and messed up the booting of my PC.

After messing around with the boot files I finally got it to boot the Windows 10 partition using this code

But it failed and I got a message similar to this.

Yes that is the one for Windows 7, I couldn't find the Windows 10 version. I believe the error code and extra information was different.

To fix the problem I followed these steps found here and here (the BurrWalnut answer)

The problem is when I enter the command BOOTREC /FIXBOOT the output is Element not found and when I enter the command BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD it scans for operating systems, finds windows, asks if I want to add a boot for it, I enter Y and then it gives the output Element not found.

I would really appreciate any help in fixing the problem

Thema:

1. Bootrec /rebuildbcd gives "Element not found." - Similar Threads - Bootrec rebuildbcd Element

2. understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.: I've been trying to find an explanation of what the mbr, boot record and bcd store are.I've seen info like this ..https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-bootrec-exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues-902ebb04-daa3-4f90-579f-0fbf51f7dd5dand I understand I...
  3. understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.: I've been trying to find an explanation of what the mbr, boot record and bcd store are.I've seen info like this ..https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-bootrec-exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues-902ebb04-daa3-4f90-579f-0fbf51f7dd5dand I understand I...
  4. understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: Hello recently my system got a BSOD while downloading something which led to corruption of system files, i was able to correct them using sfc/scannow and chkdsk /s /r , i can boot into windows normally but whenever i try to boot into windows recovery environment, i get the...
  6. "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...: This answer from last year seemed to address the non-booting issue, but completely ignores the original problem statement, "Might be worth nothing that bootrec /fixboot returned as having denied access."...
  7. windows 10 bootrec /rebuildbcd no result

windows 10 bootrec /rebuildbcd no result: Hi everyone, I had 3 OS on my computer, Windows 10, Windows 8 and Ubuntu. Because I didn't use it anymore, I messed up deleting the partition containing Ubuntu, so now the computer starts in 'grub rescue mode'. What I want to do is recovering the Windows bootloader to have...
  8. Bootrec /fixboot → "Element not found"

Bootrec /fixboot → "Element not found": Using Macrium Reflect, I cloned my system SSD to a larger SSD, but the new SSD won't boot. (error 0xc000000e; this is obviously after powering down and disconnecting the old SSD.) This is on an old PC using BIOS booting and MBR disks. I created a Windows 10 installation DVD,...
  9. bootrec /rebuildbcd errors

bootrec /rebuildbcd errors: I am in the Windows recovery mode cmdline. After I type bootrec /rebuildbcd and hit 'y' and 'n' accordingly to adjust my boot configs, I get the following error: The system cannot find the path specified...
  10. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: I'm getting an odd issue where if I run either command, they don't run all the way through. bootrec /scanos doesn't tell me how many (if any) installations of Windows were found, and bootrec /rebuildbcd tells me it might take a while, but then quits after a few seconds with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. element not found bootrec

2. nu vot