Windows 10: bootrec /scanos and /rebuildbcd finds 0 windows installations normal?

Discus and support bootrec /scanos and /rebuildbcd finds 0 windows installations normal? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is it normal for bootrec /scanos and bootrec /rebuildbcd to find 0 windows installations? From what I've gathered by searching online, it's quite not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yesir360, May 10, 2021.

1. yesir360 Win User

bootrec /scanos and /rebuildbcd finds 0 windows installations normal?

Is it normal for bootrec /scanos and bootrec /rebuildbcd to find 0 windows installations? From what I've gathered by searching online, it's quite not normal, but it also seems to be only for legacy BIOS. I'm using UEFI and can boot into windows fine, but bootrec still only shows 0 windows installations. Just confirming here. Windows version is Windows 10, 2004 (As a side question, UEFI always puts the boot and bcd files in it's own partition while BIOS places it in C:/boot right?)

:)

yesir360, May 10, 2021

2. bootrec /scanos Returns 0 windows installations.

Hey,

I have a dual booted PC running Windows 10 and Ubuntu, from which I removed Ubuntu and grub. I have been able to boot into the Windows successfully but when in recovery i use commands such as bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd it returns, 0 windows installation
    found. How is this happening, and also is it harmful in any way for my pc.

antimony96, May 10, 2021
  3. powerlien Win User
    bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

I'm getting an odd issue where if I run either command, they don't run all the way through. bootrec /scanos doesn't tell me how many (if any) installations of Windows were found, and bootrec /rebuildbcd tells me it might take a while, but then quits after
    a few seconds with no other words.

Might be worth nothing that bootrec /fixboot returned as having denied access.

Any thoughts?

powerlien, May 10, 2021
  4. Saltgrass Win User

bootrec /scanos Returns 0 windows installations.

the bootrec/scanos command only shows installs which are not already included in the BCD store. If you can boot your system, it must be there. Rebuildbcd should have seen something.

I don't have a lot of experience with Grub so can't really speculate on whether it might still be active.

While you are in the command prompt, type bcdedit and see what the listing shows.

Saltgrass, May 10, 2021
Thema:

1. bootrec /scanos and /rebuildbcd finds 0 windows installations normal? - Similar Threads - bootrec scanos rebuildbcd

2. Bootrec /scanos shows 0 installations on all my Windows 10 PCs?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bootrec /scanos shows 0 installations on all my Windows 10 PCs?: Recently I have changed the motherboard of my main PC I'm using and I'm having issues with infinite bootloops randomly. Trying to reinstall system, find the reason for the issue, I found this advice to reboot into command prompt and try bootrec command scanos, fixboot etc....
  3. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: Hello recently my system got a BSOD while downloading something which led to corruption of system files, i was able to correct them using sfc/scannow and chkdsk /s /r , i can boot into windows normally but whenever i try to boot into windows recovery environment, i get the...
  4. bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available

bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available: I have the following problem. I CAN boot to Windows as always, this is the strange part. I did a repair install recently using the .ISO, in order to fix some Windows Updates that were giving me error. After finishing, a new folder windows.old was created in C:/. In the...
  5. "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...: This answer from last year seemed to address the non-booting issue, but completely ignores the original problem statement, "Might be worth nothing that bootrec /fixboot returned as having denied access."...
  6. windows 10 bootrec /rebuildbcd no result

windows 10 bootrec /rebuildbcd no result: Hi everyone, I had 3 OS on my computer, Windows 10, Windows 8 and Ubuntu. Because I didn't use it anymore, I messed up deleting the partition containing Ubuntu, so now the computer starts in 'grub rescue mode'. What I want to do is recovering the Windows bootloader to have...
  7. bootrec /rebuildbcd errors

bootrec /rebuildbcd errors: I am in the Windows recovery mode cmdline. After I type bootrec /rebuildbcd and hit 'y' and 'n' accordingly to adjust my boot configs, I get the following error: The system cannot find the path specified...
  8. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: I'm getting an odd issue where if I run either command, they don't run all the way through. bootrec /scanos doesn't tell me how many (if any) installations of Windows were found, and bootrec /rebuildbcd tells me it might take a while, but then quits after a few seconds with...
  9. bootrec /rebuildbcd command returns 0 Windows installations found, Windows 10 laptop.

bootrec /rebuildbcd command returns 0 Windows installations found, Windows 10 laptop.: This is on Windows 10. My laptop won’t boot and I’ve tried auto repair with no success. Now I’m trying to repair my boot configuration following information from the internet and I’m running into a problem. So far I’ve been using the following commands with some success....
  10. bootrec /rebuildbcd does not find Windows XP

bootrec /rebuildbcd does not find Windows XP: Hello - the original problem was that msconfig showed the system stuck in Selective mode with "use original boot configuration" grayed out, so attempts to put the system back to Normal mode failed. I used the established procedures to recreate the BCD (the following...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bootrec /scanos 0