Windows 10: Boots directly into Windows Recovery but won't recover

Discus and support Boots directly into Windows Recovery but won't recover in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just a few days ago I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1903 (i.e., deleted all existing partitions from within the installer and let it proceed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mc510, Jul 31, 2019.

1. mc510 Win User

Boots directly into Windows Recovery but won't recover

Just a few days ago I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1903 (i.e., deleted all existing partitions from within the installer and let it proceed using the entire disk). I've had a couple of failed boots since then where it hangs on the lock screen and won't show the password box, or goes black before showing the lock screen. This morning, it hung on the lock screen, I powered down, restarted, and got "Bootmgr missing." Booted into WinRE from USB, ran startup repair, removed the USB, and now the computer boots directly into the recovery environment. So this is where it's at now, booting WinRE again from USB:

Startup Repair --> Startup Repair couldn't repair your computer.
    Uninstall Latest Quality Update --> We ran into a problem and won't be able to ...
    System Restore --> To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore
    chkdsk c: /f --> Windows scanned the file system and found no problems
    bcdedit --> Boot configuration data store could not be opened. Configuration registry database is corrupt.
    SFC /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\windows --> did not find any integrity violations
    DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth --> Operation completed successfully
    bootrec /fixmbr --> completed successfully
    bootrec /fixboot --> access is denied
    bootrec /rebuildbcd --> identified windows installations 1 / Cannot create a file when that file already exists
    bcdboot c:\windows /s c: --> Boot files successfully created

With USB removed, it still boots into the recovery environment. What's going on?

Desktop computer with Pentium G620, Samsung EVO 840 SSD added as system drive but otherwise totally stock. Was previously running fine on 1803, but upgrade to 1903 failed, which is why I did a clean install of 1903.

:)

mc510, Jul 31, 2019
  2. DRDNA Win User
    DRDNA, Jul 31, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Jul 31, 2019
  4. tops Win User

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

Thema:

1. Boots directly into Windows Recovery but won't recover - Similar Threads - Boots directly Recovery

2. Win10 won't boot, won't get into recovery mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 won't boot, won't get into recovery mode: Hi everyone,I wanted to roll back the windows to a previous restore point, unfortunately and unexpectedly the windows shut down during "restore point registry" I realized the power cord wasn't working properly and caused my laptop to shut down, battery wasn't enough to...
  3. Win10 won't boot, won't get into recovery mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 won't boot, won't get into recovery mode: Hi everyone,I wanted to roll back the windows to a previous restore point, unfortunately and unexpectedly the windows shut down during "restore point registry" I realized the power cord wasn't working properly and caused my laptop to shut down, battery wasn't enough to...
  4. Win10 won't boot, won't get into recovery mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows won't boot or recover

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't boot or recover: I switched from dp to hdmi to be greeted by a blank, black screen on boot. I tried restarting, nothing. Switching back to dp, nothing. I tried recovery but it just rebooted. After that if I booted without the recovery drive and it came up with a black screen but this time...
  6. windows 10 won't boot. Trying to follow directions, but....

windows 10 won't boot. Trying to follow directions, but....: Hi, My Win 10 will not boot. Also, I can't access start up repair via "triple boot" because I activated the following cmd prompt a while ago: reagentc /disable I have an installation disk and I accessed the system repair from there, but when I click "start-up repair"...
  7. Windows 10 won't boot or recover

Windows 10 won't boot or recover: Hello long time Windows user here and my first time asking a question here My Windows 10 custom build PC is having issues. Last night after I hit control alt delete out of a game not working correctly Civilization 3 I tried a lot of scans via powershell and cmd and none of...
  8. Windows 10 (1903) Boots directly into Windows Recovery but won't recover

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 (1903) Boots directly into Windows Recovery but won't recover: Just a few days ago I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 1903 (i.e., deleted all existing partitions from within the installer and let it proceed using the entire disk). I've had a couple of failed boots since then where it hangs on the lock screen and won't show the...
  9. Recovering laptop with failed harddrive, unusable recovery USB and machine won't boot.

Recovering laptop with failed harddrive, unusable recovery USB and machine won't boot.: Yes. I have searched and searched and have not yet found the solution. in 2013, I purchased a Toshiba laptop with windows 8 on it. At the time, I made a recovery USB as recommended and squirreled it away for safekeeping. Since then, I took advantage of the Windows 10...
  10. USB recovery boot drive won't boot

USB recovery boot drive won't boot: I wasn't sure which forum to put this into. I created a backup image on a usb hard drive. I wanted to be able to restore it using a usb recovery thumb drive. I used the create usb recovery tool and created the recovery flash drive. When I try to boot from the flash drive I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. we ran into a problem and wont be able to uninstall the latest quality update of windows