Windows 10: Borderless Gaming and forced DWM / Tripple Buffering

Discus and support Borderless Gaming and forced DWM / Tripple Buffering in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hey guys, I've had this problem for a while now and I can't seem to find anything after weeks and weeks of googling Basically, I run my games in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Rekuja, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Rekuja Win User

Borderless Gaming and forced DWM / Tripple Buffering

Hey guys,

I've had this problem for a while now and I can't seem to find anything after weeks and weeks of googling

Basically, I run my games in Borderless because I have multiple monitors, it's easier for me to switch between monitor 1 and 2 this way. With Windows 7 I would right click all my games .exe files and disable Aero on everything, this would remove input lag on all my games.

With Windows 10, you can't disable Aero... as it uses DWM, which means all my games running in borderless mode have a hint of input lag, which is driving me up the wall.

The only fix so far is running games in Fullscreen, which 100% completely eliminate input lag, but as I said before, multi-display setup, I'd rather not use Fullscreen.

Has ANYONE found a fix for this? (I have disabled XBOX DVR)

i5 2500k @ 4.8GHz
    8 GB Ram
    Nvidia 980 GTX
    Windows 10 x64

1920x1080 @ 60hz
    120fps constant, no dips.

TLDR: Windows 10 has input lag when borderless gaming

:)

Rekuja, Jun 15, 2016
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Borderless Gaming and forced Vsync/Triple Buffering

Oops - I went to check BF4 (using borderless) and did about 20 re-writes and didn't notice you had posted back

(scatter brain poster Borderless Gaming and forced DWM / Tripple Buffering :D ).

I very much doubt V-sync or Triple buffering is being forced.

( Apparently V-sync can cause a bit of input lag, but Triple Buffering is supposed to sort that out)

If you are not seeing high cpu use from DWM in Task Manager while playing I don't think it would be
    the cause of the lag either.

My understanding is FPS and input lag aren't directly related. Are you using the same monitors and cables

as when you were using Win7 ?

Other than input lag via the monitor, I don't know what the cause would be, and again,

I wouldn't really notice a slight delay in the mouse. My reactions are not young enough Borderless Gaming and forced DWM / Tripple Buffering ;) .

BossDweeb, Jun 15, 2016
  3. Rekuja72 Win User
    Borderless Gaming and forced Vsync/Triple Buffering

How can you call Windows 10 the ultimate gaming OS when you have nonsense like this implemented into it? people say it's the DWM, and since we can't disable it like we could in Windows 7 (aero) we are stuck with a terrible borderless experience because of
    input lag.

I don't want to play my games in Fullscreen, I need to use borderless as I have multiple monitors.

You would think paying $300 NZD I could actually get something I want out of an OS...

Rekuja72, Jun 15, 2016
  4. Archie123 Win User

I dont know how you will do it without giving the game full control of the monitor , as far as i remember windowed forces vsync on , Is it input lag from vsync? If not there is no way around it in win 10 , that said i have no such input lag in windowed mode but i have a gsync monitor

Archie123, Jun 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Borderless Gaming and forced DWM / Tripple Buffering - Similar Threads - Borderless Gaming forced

2. DWM excessive GPU utilization while gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DWM excessive GPU utilization while gaming: hello good afternoon friends :, I have a problem of excessive use of the GPU for the DWM process, I tried everything that appears in the forums and I cannot find the solution. I have an ASUS ROG STRIX notebook with two gpu, an intel 630 integrated and an NVDIA 1050...
  3. Cortana is Buffering and Buffering

in Cortana
    Cortana is Buffering and Buffering: When I try to sign in Cortana is just Buffering and nothing is happening can any one help me , please [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-is-buffering-and-buffering/2a2c4c48-39a4-443b-93a0-608523ba7b45
  4. Borderless PRINTING

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Borderless PRINTING: Greetings, As part of her job my wife needs to print out 1 page of information via a LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet. The thing is she has to stuff a lot of info on that one page and the text gets really small. It would be nice if she could eat into the page margins and use...
  5. Borderless printing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Borderless printing: I ca no longer print borderless - with Windows Photos or any other software Photoscape or PhotoShop - after upgrading to Windows 10. Everything worked fine in Windows 7. I select borderless printing in the printer controls, but all apps override it. VERY FRUSTRATING!!...
  6. Games are forced to run in Triple buffering mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Games are forced to run in Triple buffering mode: Regardless of the setting "Disable fullscreen optimizations" checked or unchecked, games run in Triple buffering mode rather than in Double buffering mode. Take Grand Theft Auto V for instance, the game runs fine in fullscreen mode with Double buffering Vsync until navigated...
  7. Why does DWM force triple buffering and v-sync in windowed games?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does DWM force triple buffering and v-sync in windowed games?: It has just come to my attention that Windows 10 forces triple buffering and V-sync in windowed and borderless-windowed games via Desktop Window Manager. This is baffling to someone who plays latency critical games regularly and uses dual displays, though I would imagine it...
  8. Taskbar not hiding in borderless games

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar not hiding in borderless games: When i play some videogame in borderless window format, the taskbar don't hide and i can click on it, if i activate the autohide option it will popup when i tuch the bottom part of the screen with the cursor. Before the last update, it have't done this not one time, i...
  9. Taskbar not hiding in borderless games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar not hiding in borderless games: When i play some videogame in borderless window format, the taskbar don't hide and i can click on it, if i activate the autohide option it will popup when i tuch the bottom part of the screen with the cursor. Before the last update, it have't done this not one time, i...
  10. Tripple booting is this possible?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Tripple booting is this possible?: Tripple booting is this possible? Separate partitions no GPT partitions. I know how to do partitions Windows 7 32 bit Windows 10 Technical preview 32 bit Lubuntu 64 bit without UEFI (I deleted the UEFI install folder) Linux Swap partition 2709