Windows 10: Bose Wi-Fi speakers - playing FLAC from local / NAS libraries

Discus and support Bose Wi-Fi speakers - playing FLAC from local / NAS libraries in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there. If you have Bose (and I suppose other other makes of Wi-Fi speakers) the documentation is not clear on how to play FLAC --Wifi is streets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, May 5, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Bose Wi-Fi speakers - playing FLAC from local / NAS libraries

Hi there.

If you have Bose (and I suppose other other makes of Wi-Fi speakers) the documentation is not clear on how to play FLAC --Wifi is streets ahead of Bluetooth for decent sound quality - also you don't need to bother pairing devices - and of course while paired you are using usually a mobile phone for playing music.

Accessing FLAC from your NAS library DIRECTLY gives problem --Content cannot be played on this device -- however it works by using PLEX.

So install PLEX (free) and add music library to PLEX. Note if you have large music library this will take a long time initially but after that updates go quickly (adding / removing music). Of course it's just a LINK to your library -- it doesn't physically store your NAS music on your phone !!!!!!.

So after installing PLEX and adding your music Library to it :

1) install the Bose Soundtouch app (free) on preferably your mobile although available on Windows and Ios.
    2) set up your wifi speaker(s) - usually quite simple --follow on screen instructions.
    3) in the BOSE app add music library -- you should see your PLEX server -- add that
    4) now you can browse music - by folder / album etc etc etc and it will play (FLAC included) -- a really nice get around.

Note on the Bose speakers you can also adjust the Bass by using the phone app -- go to settings and click on the speaker you want to adjust the Bass on.

If you have these high quality Bose speakers - don't hobble the sound by using Bluetooth --Wifi is STREETS ahead and once you are playing the music you can turn the phone off (if you use the phone app) These speakers also play directly Internet Radio from Wifi too - 6 presets available and with a handset too.

Both PLEX and the BOSE app work fine on W10 --bye bye Bluetooth !!!.

Also good if you have several of these speakers - each one works indivually too and using Wifi you don't even need a computer or your phone to be on.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 5, 2016
  2. ColbyS Win User

Keeping NAS private from other network connected computers.

Need clarification on something.

Our house shares a Wi-Fi connection. I have a local (Ethernet) network for my NAS not directly connected to the Wi-Fi router. The Ethernet network has its own router connected to my PC (which does use the house Wi-Fi for internet access).

With Network Discovery on everyone on the network can see retrieve data from the NAS correct?

I mistakenly had Network Discovery set to "On" and even though I changed it the other people in the house may have had access to my NAS. If Network Discovery is "Off" can the other house members still retrieve (or modify) data from the NAS if they know
    the IP (by mapping the NAS)?

ColbyS, May 5, 2016
  3. play FLACs from NAS

Hi!

The problem with FLAC is that it is a open standard. Very open. Microsoft ec have embrased DRM to secure there revenue. As did Apple. That is one of the reasons that the commercial business frownes upon FLAC. Not that is it not good but that it is too good.

What I did is convert my FLAC collection to an MP3 collection for mere enjoyment on mobile devices. I know, mp3 is a **bleep** standard but there we are. On the awesome headphones that nokia provides along its phones you would not hear a difference.

j

theking2---01, May 5, 2016
Thema:

Bose Wi-Fi speakers - playing FLAC from local / NAS libraries

1. Bose Wi-Fi speakers - playing FLAC from local / NAS libraries - Similar Threads - Bose speakers playing

2. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wi-fi wi: I just want to use the wi-fi on my second computer without a cable. my computer uses windows 10 and it keep saying fix the cable! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wi/fabd5a5d-b3b2-4ae1-8f34-3c5b98d4e10f
  3. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wi-fi wi: I just want to use the wi-fi on my second computer without a cable. my computer uses windows 10 and it keep saying fix the cable! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-wi/fabd5a5d-b3b2-4ae1-8f34-3c5b98d4e10f
  4. wi-fi wi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wi-Fi Hotspot to play LAN games

Wi-Fi Hotspot to play LAN games: Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the innate function of windows 10, Wi-Fi Hotspot that shows up in the notifications menu. Me and my friends have a place to play videogames via LAN but we have neither internet connection nor a wifi router, so I wanted to use this...
  6. Disconnecting from wi-fi

Disconnecting from wi-fi: Hi: Gone are the days when Windows was easy and sensical … either that or I'm getting too old too fast and my brains are leaking out of my ears … whatever! It used to be that we could disconnect from the internet/wi-fi by right-clicking the mouse on the Internet icon in the...
  7. Bluetooth paired but doesnt play. Bose external speaker

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth paired but doesnt play. Bose external speaker: Bluetooth paired but doesnt play. Bose external speaker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluetooth-paired-but-doesnt-play-bose-external/939450b3-c213-4180-a07d-aacd4792b0e5
  8. Secured local wi-fi network access

Secured local wi-fi network access: How do I block my laptop from trying to access secured local wi-fi networks? If I deselect the "connect automatically" box, it is selected the next time I check. How do I get these networks to remain deselected? It always connects to my network properly....
  9. bluetooth speaker Bose not detected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    bluetooth speaker Bose not detected: Dear reader, Thank you to take some of your precious time to read my post and help me solve the following problem with bluetooth connection. Following latest windows update version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 With USB plugged in or with Bluetooth connection the speaker...
  10. Wi-fi

Wi-fi: There is no wifi option when i want to connect to a network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wi-fi/6e2d68a8-f0a7-45d8-aef6-e2b70405434d