Windows 10: Both built-in shift keys on laptop have collectively stopped responding

Discus and support Both built-in shift keys on laptop have collectively stopped responding in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I am on an Acer Aspire S5-371 Signature Edition with Windows 10 Home Version 1909 installed on it. I have been using this laptop for multiple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Sofus B., Sep 19, 2020.

1. Sofus B. Win User

Both built-in shift keys on laptop have collectively stopped responding

Hi, I am on an Acer Aspire S5-371 Signature Edition with Windows 10 Home Version 1909 installed on it. I have been using this laptop for multiple years, but about half a year or a year ago I began experiencing issues with both of my shift keys. It started out with the shift keys sometimes not working, but then I would release and hold again, and they would work. Over time. the amount of times I would have to click to get them working progressively worsened, and now, none of them work at any moment in time.

I followed this other response to a similar issue, and tried all of the fixes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-shift-keys-are-suddenly-not-working/39037fe8-e7ad-4511-9aec-c5fecb1b8e42?page=1:

"Go into Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start button, choose the Keyboard device, right click to Uninstall, restart PC using mouse to reinstall driver.

If that fails then from Driver tab choose Update Driver, then Automatic. If that fails then choose Update driver again, then Browse PC, then Let Me Pick, try previous drivers.

If that's not enough then run the Keyboard Troubleshooter at Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

Do the other keys on your keyboard work fine? — Try to press any other key on your keyboard to see if it works.

If the other keys work fine, then try to turn off the Sticky Keys feature on your Windows via the Solution 1.

If the other keys stop working either, check the next question:

Does your keyboard work via another USB port or computer? — Try to connect your keyboard with another USB port, or plug it into another computer to see if your keyboard works.

If your keyboard works with another USB port, then the problem is on the USB port. You can use your keyboard with the working USB port then.

Turn off the Sticky Keys feature on your Windows

The Sticky Keys feature, besides, Toggle Keys and Filter Keys, make your keyboard easier to type. However, sometimes they make trouble. Your Shift key stops working is the one. So make sure these features are not turned on.

Follow these:

1 On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and I at the same time to invoke the Settings window.

2 Click Ease of Access.

3 Select Keyboard on the left pane. Then make sure the status of Sticky Keys, Toggle Keys and Filter Keys are all set to Off. If there is any one set to On, switch it to Off instead.

4 Press the Shift key on your keyboard to see if it work. "
    As stated, it's the shift keys on the built-in keyboard, that don't work. I have connected an external keyboard, which works. The problem does not seem to be dust or similar, as I have tried cleaning the keys, and also due to the fact that the issue exposed itself with both of the keys at once, even though I obviously use the left one far more.
    Any help is appreciated, thanks!

:)

Sofus B., Sep 19, 2020
  2. LTUGamer Win User

Both shift keys

Hello.
    I have problem with Lenovo Idea Pad 100 laptop (OS: WIN10). After replacing HDD into SSD I faced a strange problem. Both Shifts of the keyboard doesn‘t work .
    I have tried to:
    • Check if sticky keys are off. They are off.
    • Connect external keyboard via USB port. Shift keys on external keyboard works good.
    • Check the keyboard on online tester which indicates pressed buttons. It can‘t indicate press of the shift
    • Change several different input languages. The problem is on all of them.
    • Reinstall keyboard driver
    • Check if connection is OK. It is OK.
    • Tried to run computer without screws (I have read in one forum that screws could touch the keyboard from the bottom and it wouldn‘t operate normal)
    I believe that keyboard is not damaged because connector damage could cause just exact part of keyboard failure, while it is impossible to do physical damage for both shifts. Any solutions?

LTUGamer, Sep 19, 2020
  3. Microsoft Solitaire Collection error- Display Drivers stopped responding

Original Title: Microsoft Solitaire Collection

My Microsoft Solitaire Collection has kind of hitch to it. I can play any game in that collection except for pyramid. when play pyramid the screen freezes up and then in the lower right corner I see "Display Drivers stopped responding and then recovered,
    Display Driver Intel HD window 8 (R) display driver stopped responding and recovered. I do not understand why this game is the only one that freezes any suggestion;

Charles Harris57, Sep 19, 2020
  4. Both built-in shift keys on laptop have collectively stopped responding

Shift key is not responding in windows 8.1

Hello Community,

I have Haier 7G-5H 4005 Laptop, i was using it in a normal way and certainly its shift key's stop responding,

even when i click over it 5 times key's don't pop up the sticky keys window.

or one more thing,

My laptop automatically minimize the window that is currently open after 2,3 minutes again and again.

I have reset the windows but still nothing is working fine, I also have updated the drivers of HID keyboard but still nothing happening.

Full specs of system is over here : Prime Minister PM Laptop Scheme Specification 2018

Kindly advise

Thanks

hamxayaxin, Sep 19, 2020
Thema:

Both built-in shift keys on laptop have collectively stopped responding

1. Both built-in shift keys on laptop have collectively stopped responding - Similar Threads - Both built shift

2. Both shift keys not working on TKL laptop keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Both shift keys not working on TKL laptop keyboard: Hi,I am looking for an alternative to the shift key on my TKL laptop keyboard.Below are unsuccessful attempts to resolve the issue;Uninstall reinstall keyboard driverKeyboard troubleshooterSticky Keys uncheckedKey remapping does not workUsing Alt key only activates dialogue...
  3. Both shift keys not working on TKL laptop keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Both shift keys not working on TKL laptop keyboard: Hi,I am looking for an alternative to the shift key on my TKL laptop keyboard.Below are unsuccessful attempts to resolve the issue;Uninstall reinstall keyboard driverKeyboard troubleshooterSticky Keys uncheckedKey remapping does not workUsing Alt key only activates dialogue...
  4. ctrl and shift key are not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ctrl and shift key are not responding: No matter I press it, it will not respond on my desktop. I tried to use it on different device, and it works fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-and-shift-key-are-not-responding/bec2272c-8a84-45d9-8e9a-bbe579a7303c
  5. ctrl and shift key are not responding

ctrl and shift key are not responding: No matter I press it, it will not respond on my desktop. I tried to use it on different device, and it works fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-and-shift-key-are-not-responding/bec2272c-8a84-45d9-8e9a-bbe579a7303c
  6. both shift keys stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    both shift keys stopped working: i've had this issue b4 and researched a lot about it and it eventually resolved itself but can't figure out how. now it's back, both shift keys stopped working, if i press them a lot they start working for a while then stop, i've already tried many things, it's not drivers,...
  7. both shift keys stopped working

both shift keys stopped working: i've had this issue b4 and researched a lot about it and it eventually resolved itself but can't figure out how. now it's back, both shift keys stopped working, if i press them a lot they start working for a while then stop, i've already tried many things, it's not drivers,...
  8. Both [Shift] keys not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Both [Shift] keys not working: About yesterday, both my [Shift] keys stopped working, even my [Right Shift] key, which I never use. None of my other keys have been affected and the problem is isolated to the [Shift] keys exclusively. I have already tried some of the more common fixes to this problem making...
  9. Both [Shift] keys not working

Both [Shift] keys not working: About yesterday, both my [Shift] keys stopped working, even my [Right Shift] key, which I never use. None of my other keys have been affected and the problem is isolated to the [Shift] keys exclusively. I have already tried some of the more common fixes to this problem making...
  10. Both shift keys unresponsive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Both shift keys unresponsive: Until recently both of my shift keys have worked absolutely fine and i have had no trouble with my keyboard. Unfortunately they have both become unresponsive all of a sudden and it is the same when plugging in a different keyboard and in safe mode. Sticky Keys was never...