Windows 10: Both laptop and desktop refuse to enter sleep mode.

Discus and support Both laptop and desktop refuse to enter sleep mode. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm really at a loss here. I have three devices running Windows 10. One is a surface with integrated graphics that works fine. The other two are a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sumphatguy, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Both laptop and desktop refuse to enter sleep mode.

I'm really at a loss here. I have three devices running Windows 10. One is a surface with integrated graphics that works fine. The other two are a laptop with an Nvidia GPU, and my desktop with an Nvidia GPU as well.

The laptop and desktop simply refuse to enter sleep mode. When I try to put the devices in sleep mode or let them time out into sleep mode on their own, the screen goes black and the keyboard LEDs turn off, but the other LEDs on the devices stay on and the computer sits there frozen unresponsive. I can't wake it from sleep in any way and am forced to shut down by holding the power buttons.

I'm simply at a loss. All three devices run similar software, so I'm guessing it's related to the Nvidia gpu. However, I have not found this issue reported anywhere. This only started happening a few days ago on both devices.

submitted by /u/sumphatguy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sumphatguy, Jan 17, 2020

2. Laptop does not enter sleep mode

Hi,

My laptop is fully updated and running on windows 10. Recently my laptop does not enter sleep mode after the set time it is supposed to enter sleep mode, also the laptop starts up automatically when in sleep mode with the lid closed.

Do any of you have any idea what the cause might be and how to fix this problem?

I ran a power efficiency diagnostics report with the following errors:

Platform Power Management CapabilitiesBoth laptop and desktop refuse to enter sleep mode. :pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend

System Availability Requests:System Required Request

Are any of these errors preventing my laptop from entering sleep mode?

Thanks in advanced for your help and advice.

Chris

Christophpher, Jan 17, 2020
  3. open the desktop from sleep mode

Hi Abhishek,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• How are trying to start the computer from the sleep mode?
    • Since from when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you able to shut down or restart the machine?
    • What happens when you try to come out of Sleep mode?
    I would suggest you to force shutdown the computer and start the computer and check what happens.

If you are able to login to normal mode then follow the below steps to restore the power setting/plan to default.

• Press Windows + X keys, and select the option
      Control Panel.
    • Click on the Power Options icon.
    • Click on Change plan settings.
    • Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan”.
    Please post us back with more information and if the issues resolves to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 17, 2020
  4. Both laptop and desktop refuse to enter sleep mode.

Desktop will not automatically enter sleep mode

I've changed power settings (included the advanced settings) to allow sleep to automatically occur after 10 minutes, but the computer doesn't go into sleep mode. It previously went to sleep automatically, but apparently some automatic system updates have
    changed that feature. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Keith_Davey, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

Both laptop and desktop refuse to enter sleep mode.

1. Both laptop and desktop refuse to enter sleep mode. - Similar Threads - Both laptop desktop

2. How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep: Hi all,When I click on sleep from the start menu, sometimes my desktop will enter "away mode" according to even viewer instead of going to sleep. This is very annoying as I have to use hibernate instead of sleep which takes a while to wake up from.Once my desktop has been on...
  3. LAPTOP NOT ENTERING INTO SLEEP MODE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LAPTOP NOT ENTERING INTO SLEEP MODE: I am experiencing a sleep problem with my laptop. Whenever I attempt to put it in sleep mode, it only gets locked and doesn't actually enter sleep mode. It remains active and only becomes locked, failing to enter sleep mode. Additionally, the power button light doesn't blink...
  4. LAPTOP NOT ENTERING INTO SLEEP MODE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    LAPTOP NOT ENTERING INTO SLEEP MODE: I am experiencing a sleep problem with my laptop. Whenever I attempt to put it in sleep mode, it only gets locked and doesn't actually enter sleep mode. It remains active and only becomes locked, failing to enter sleep mode. Additionally, the power button light doesn't blink...
  5. Windows 11 Desktop Won't Enter Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Desktop Won't Enter Sleep Mode: I upgraded to Windows 11 last fall November and for the most part everything has been working ok. Within the last month, I've had an issue where my desktop will not enter sleep mode. If I select sleep, my keyboard and mouse will shut off but my desktop will idle with the fan...
  6. Windows 11 Desktop Won't Enter Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Desktop Won't Enter Sleep Mode: I upgraded to Windows 11 last fall November and for the most part everything has been working ok. Within the last month, I've had an issue where my desktop will not enter sleep mode. If I select sleep, my keyboard and mouse will shut off but my desktop will idle with the fan...
  7. PC not entering sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC not entering sleep mode.: I have the settings set to automatically sleep after 30 minutes, but it isn't going to sleep. Changing this to an earlier time does nothing. Powercfg /requests returns nothing. It is possible that the recent 2004 windows 10 update could be a cause, but I can't say for...
  8. Windows 10 PC Refuses to Enter Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 PC Refuses to Enter Sleep Mode: When I try to put my computer into sleep mode it won't even be a second before it wakes right back up again. There is no issue shutting down. I had this problem earlier, it was caused by my Ethernet connection waking up my computer whenever there's an internet connection...
  9. Laptop Restarts After Entering Sleep Mode

Laptop Restarts After Entering Sleep Mode: Hi I've seen a lot similar scenarios to this and they're all seem to be different. Here I have a HP spectre x360 15t 2019 running Windows 10. I've had the laptop for two days and I realise that about 20 seconds after I close the lid or hit the power button in order to put the...
  10. Desktop will not automatically enter sleep mode

Desktop will not automatically enter sleep mode: I've changed power settings (included the advanced settings) to allow sleep to automatically occur after 10 minutes, but the computer doesn't go into sleep mode. It previously went to sleep automatically, but apparently some automatic system updates have changed that feature....