Windows 10: Both laptop screen and external monitor go black

Discus and support Both laptop screen and external monitor go black in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have the new Acer Aspire laptop and a TV which I use as a monitor. They have worked together very happily some time now. But yesterday I had to do a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by brainwave1066, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Both laptop screen and external monitor go black

I have the new Acer Aspire laptop and a TV which I use as a monitor. They have worked together very happily some time now. But yesterday I had to do a forced shutdown when the start button would not work and the TV screen shrank in size and there were error messages. When I rebooted, the TV monitor stayed black and a computer screen came alive for about 10 seconds as it was rebooting, then went black. I disconnected the TV from the computer and started her up and the computer screen behaved itself.
    Even if I set all of the display parameters to indicate only one screen (the computer screen), if the TV monitor is connected to the computer, I end up with two black screens.
    I have tried many display duplicate and extension.
    No new software installed.
    There is one clue. I disconnect the TV monitor from the computer, boot up, choose duplicates to display. Then I connect the TV monitor to the computer. What happens, for about one second, is that both screens light up.
    What is going on? Help please.

:)

brainwave1066, Nov 27, 2015

2. Display Adapter / Black Screen

I am trying to troubleshoot a black screen problem on an HP Elitebook 8540w laptop.

Windows 10 installed and the operating system loads, but I get a black screen before I can log into the device.

Sometimes the display will flicker and show me the clock.

If I plug in an external monitor both the laptop display and the external monitor will work.

If I remove the external monitor the laptop screen goes black again.

I've tried both the newest AMD driver and rolling the driver back with the same results.

ContipPaul, Nov 27, 2015
  3. Loke_7163 Win User
    My laptop monitor won't work after using an external monitor

I booted up my computer with a monitor attached through a hdmi cable. I wanted to turn of my laptop monitor so I pressed Windows key + p. I saw that "external monitor" already was chosen even though my laptop monitor was on. I switched to laptop only and
    both screens went black. I pressed Windows + p again, and both screens turned on. Though it should be noted that both screens were on, they were just not recieving an input. I choose external monitor and it went normal again.

But my laptop sceen were still on so I went to this monitor only again. It went black and I figured, maybe I need to restart to apply it?

When I start it up I see the acer logo and it is as it should be until Windows boots. Both the screens goes black and I can't do anything. I can even surf around my bios but Windows insists in stopping my monitors when it boots.

Have my laptop started to se my laptop screen as an external monitor and what should I do about it?

I didn't find anything in Google so this is my last resort. There is very small odds the support team helps here.

Loke_7163, Nov 27, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Both laptop screen and external monitor go black

If you are still getting the black screens when starting up there is a useful shortcut you can try. Press the windows key + P. This will give you some options to try different combinations of TV monitor and/or screen.

It sounds like you might need a graphics driver update or roll back to a previous one it is has recently changed.

philc43, Dec 4, 2015
  5. Hi Philc43. Thanks for replying. I made a wrong assumption and your reply made me question it. I assumed that because both screens were black on startup and remained so, that it would be futile to press any keys as I would be working blind. However, after starting up and waiting until startup had finished, then pressing windows+p, the display menu appeared and I was able to configure. Big thanks.

brainwave1066, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Both laptop screen and external monitor go black

1. Both laptop screen and external monitor go black - Similar Threads - Both laptop screen

2. External Monitor All Black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Monitor All Black: I have an HP Spectre X360 15" that is set up as dual boot Windows 10 / Ubuntu Linux. It has a Dell 23" external monitor connected via HDMI. I've been using Linux pretty much exclusively over the past several months due to a project I'm working on. When I use the laptop...
  3. External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen: I'm having a problem with an external VGA monitor connected to my Win10 home PC. When I plug in the monitor (to VGA port), it is detected but the display blinks on and goes black immediately. I have to unplug and re-plug up to 12 times and finally the monitor comes on and...
  4. External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    External VGA Monitor detected but displays black screen: I'm having a problem with an external VGA monitor connected to my Win10 home PC. When I plug in the monitor (to VGA port), it is detected but the display blinks on and goes black immediately. I have to unplug and re-plug up to 12 times and finally the monitor comes on and...
  5. Monitor going black for few seconds

Monitor going black for few seconds: I have a Dell SE2416H external monitor going black for a few seconds. This will happen 3 or 4 time within 5 minutes and not again for a one or two hours. I have a Dell Laptop 15-5567 connected with a Moread MDMI adapter. I am not even sure how to troubleshoot this. ANY help?...
  6. External Monitor is detected, but black

External Monitor is detected, but black: My monitor was working perfectly this morning. I left for lunch and came back to a black screen. I've tried installing updates and the hdmi cord, but nothing has fixed this. The monitor is detected, as I can drag windows over to it. It's just black. Any suggestions?...
  7. Black Screen on laptop / Connection with monitor stops

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen on laptop / Connection with monitor stops: Hello, I have a Lenovo Z710 laptop. It has keyboard like THIS. On F9 key it you can turn on/off laptop screen. Do you know what Im talking about? Remember this for later. Also, I always use external 24" Dell monitor, 99% of time. I have the following problem. Every day,...
  8. Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?

Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?: Hey everyone, I recently bought an external monitor for my laptop and I would like to use both of the screens in extended mode. The problem is that my laptop's screen resolution is 1366x768 and the external monitor's resolution is 1440x900. How do I change the...
  9. Monitors go black but computer remains on

Monitors go black but computer remains on: I have just had a problem where both my monitors went black all of a sudden, (this is not a cable/connection issue) I have been having similar problems recently where I would get display driver driver crashes where my monitors would go off but then come back on, this time...
  10. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue: I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a...