Windows 10: Both laptop screen and external monitor go black

Discus and support Both laptop screen and external monitor go black in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have the new Acer Aspire laptop and a TV which I use as a monitor. They have worked together very happily some time now. But yesterday I had to do a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by brainwave1066, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Both laptop screen and external monitor go black

I have the new Acer Aspire laptop and a TV which I use as a monitor. They have worked together very happily some time now. But yesterday I had to do a forced shutdown when the start button would not work and the TV screen shrank in size and there were error messages. When I rebooted, the TV monitor stayed black and a computer screen came alive for about 10 seconds as it was rebooting, then went black. I disconnected the TV from the computer and started her up and the computer screen behaved itself.
    Even if I set all of the display parameters to indicate only one screen (the computer screen), if the TV monitor is connected to the computer, I end up with two black screens.
    I have tried many display duplicate and extension.
    No new software installed.
    There is one clue. I disconnect the TV monitor from the computer, boot up, choose duplicates to display. Then I connect the TV monitor to the computer. What happens, for about one second, is that both screens light up.
    What is going on? Help please.

:)

brainwave1066, Nov 27, 2015

2. Display Adapter / Black Screen

I am trying to troubleshoot a black screen problem on an HP Elitebook 8540w laptop.

Windows 10 installed and the operating system loads, but I get a black screen before I can log into the device.

Sometimes the display will flicker and show me the clock.

If I plug in an external monitor both the laptop display and the external monitor will work.

If I remove the external monitor the laptop screen goes black again.

I've tried both the newest AMD driver and rolling the driver back with the same results.

ContipPaul, Nov 27, 2015
  3. Loke_7163 Win User
    My laptop monitor won't work after using an external monitor

I booted up my computer with a monitor attached through a hdmi cable. I wanted to turn of my laptop monitor so I pressed Windows key + p. I saw that "external monitor" already was chosen even though my laptop monitor was on. I switched to laptop only and
    both screens went black. I pressed Windows + p again, and both screens turned on. Though it should be noted that both screens were on, they were just not recieving an input. I choose external monitor and it went normal again.

But my laptop sceen were still on so I went to this monitor only again. It went black and I figured, maybe I need to restart to apply it?

When I start it up I see the acer logo and it is as it should be until Windows boots. Both the screens goes black and I can't do anything. I can even surf around my bios but Windows insists in stopping my monitors when it boots.

Have my laptop started to se my laptop screen as an external monitor and what should I do about it?

I didn't find anything in Google so this is my last resort. There is very small odds the support team helps here.

Loke_7163, Nov 27, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Both laptop screen and external monitor go black

If you are still getting the black screens when starting up there is a useful shortcut you can try. Press the windows key + P. This will give you some options to try different combinations of TV monitor and/or screen.

It sounds like you might need a graphics driver update or roll back to a previous one it is has recently changed.

philc43, Dec 4, 2015
  5. Hi Philc43. Thanks for replying. I made a wrong assumption and your reply made me question it. I assumed that because both screens were black on startup and remained so, that it would be futile to press any keys as I would be working blind. However, after starting up and waiting until startup had finished, then pressing windows+p, the display menu appeared and I was able to configure. Big thanks.

brainwave1066, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Both laptop screen and external monitor go black

1. Both laptop screen and external monitor go black - Similar Threads - Both laptop screen

2. Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?: Everytime i connect my external monitor to my laptop by usb my laptop screen goes black and my external monitor freezes. When I disconnect it and reconnect it my laptop stays on a black screen and my external screen too.To fix it ive been shutting down my computer and...
  3. Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?: Everytime i connect my external monitor to my laptop by usb my laptop screen goes black and my external monitor freezes. When I disconnect it and reconnect it my laptop stays on a black screen and my external screen too.To fix it ive been shutting down my computer and...
  4. Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. When I connect my two monitors, they both go black.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I connect my two monitors, they both go black.: I just bought a Sceptre monitor and while trying to set it up with my laptop, I made the Sceptre the main screen. Once I made it the main screen, both monitors went black. What do I need to do to fix this?...
  6. External monitor going black

External monitor going black: I have a laptop with a damaged screen, so I started using a flat screen TV as a monitor connected with an HDMI cable. I actually have 2 different Dynex flat screens. Both used to work fine. Now one the larger, newer one will display for a short period then go black. The...
  7. Both of my monitors go black when playing ROBLOX.

Both of my monitors go black when playing ROBLOX.: I was playing a game called ROBLOX and both of my monitors went black and when they turned back on Roblox said it wasn't responding and I had to open task manager to close it....
  8. Both monitors go black when I plug in HDMI monitor.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Both monitors go black when I plug in HDMI monitor.: So I normally have two monitors, an HDMI as my main display and a VGA for my secondary display. I have an Intel i5 6500 CPU 3.2 gHz, 8 gb ram. Today when I came home from dinner my pc would not show a display when I moved the mouse or pressed the keyboard. I either left...
  9. Laptop Screen going Black

Laptop Screen going Black: Long story short, i´ve replaced my laptop screen for a 120hz, it was working fine until i updated my intel 630 drivers. It went black after the update then i´ve force shut off and it worked again for about a week. Now i´m trying to turn on bbut it wont, just in SAFE MODE....
  10. Both monitors of laptop are black

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Both monitors of laptop are black: I Connected my TV to my laptop and set the extend diaplays option to duplicate displays options and all ia black unless I disconnect the TV using hdmi port. the screen of laptop works finweif on its own. where is the option stored in registry so i can change it. i cant change...