Windows 10: Both on screen and physical keyboard don't work sometimes

Discus and support Both on screen and physical keyboard don't work sometimes in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am using an Acer Swift 3 SF-57G Laptop on Windows 10. I am currently facing issues with it's keyboard which is acting erratically Both on screen and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ashutosh Raina1, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Both on screen and physical keyboard don't work sometimes

I am using an Acer Swift 3 SF-57G Laptop on Windows 10. I am currently facing issues with it's keyboard which is acting erratically Both on screen and physical. Sometimes the keys work when I hold down Ctrl sometimes they don't. Physically pressing the keys does not input anything. I have tried all the usual solutions like disabling sticky and filter keys, troubleshooting my keyboard, re-installing the drivers, resetting keyboard settings but nothing seems to work. Can anybody provide a solution regarding this?

:)

Ashutosh Raina1, Dec 2, 2022

2. Keyboard charachters don´t match

How to correct keyboard charachters if language region does match correct keyboard but charachters still don´t.

RodrigoIzquierdo, Dec 2, 2022
  3. John Vil Win User
    want to use manual keyboard----not on screen keyboard

Hi,

The On-Screen Keyboard is an application which provides a visual keyboard on your screen that can be used in place of a physical keyboard. To better assist you and provide you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, kindly answer the questions below:

• Is your physical keyboard not functioning?
    • Have you tried turning off the On-Screen Keyboard?

To turn off the On-Screen Keyboard, kindly follow the steps below:

• Click on Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Select Ease of Access.
    • On the left panel, click on Keyboard.
    • Under On-Screen Keyboard, make sure it is set to Off.

We'll be waiting for your response.

John Vil, Dec 2, 2022
  4. Partholan Win User

Both on screen and physical keyboard don't work sometimes

Keyboard (physical & on-screen) not working on log-in screen

Hello together,

my keyboard stopped working on the login screen (no crashes etc, just on day in the morning).

Sadly I cant use the on-screen keyboard, because I will get an error message stating "Could not start the on-screen keyboard".

However, the keyboard works in BIOS, with the repair disk and in other systems (Linux).

I am working with Windows 10 Pro 64bit on a desktop-pc (don't know the build; repair-disk only outputs its own build).

Here's a list of things I've already tried:

1. used another keyboard
    2. used another USB port
    3. unplugged all other USB devices
    4. started in safe mode (cmd from repair-disk, because I cant use the shift key)
      • this worked; however, the keyboard did not work here either
    5. system restore (repair-disk)
      • unfortunately i don't have a restore-point (i could swear i created one, but now it doesn't matter anyway)
    6. image recovery (repair-disk)
      • i don't have an image available
    7. start-up repair (repair-disk)
      • error message "Start-up repair couldn't repair your PC"
    8. go back to previous build (repair-disk)
      • error message "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous build"
    9. remove password (cmd from repair-disk)
      • since I have linked my PC to the microsoft-account, this is not possible
    10. create user with no password (cmd from repair-disk)
      • not possible, because cmd from repair-disk is reduced/restricted
    11. force on-screen keyboard service to start ("sc config TabletInputService start= auto")
      • not possible, because cmd from repair-disk is reduced/restricted
    12. renamed system32\cmd.exe to system32\utilman.exe to get full access to cmd by clicking the little icon in the bottom right corner (this is possible from the repair-disk cmd)
      • "full" cmd has started; however, the keyboard did not work here either
    13. renamed system32\osk.exe to system32\utilman.exe
      • nothing happend after clicking the little icon
    14. copying system32\osk.exe from another PC to my system32 (and restoring the original utilman.exe)
      • same error message as with my osk.exe

Since I would unfortunately lose my installed programms if I reset my system with the repair-disk, I wanted to avoid this
    sledgehammer approach for now.

So if anyone else has an idea/suggestion/solution, I would be very grateful.

Best regards

Partholan, Dec 2, 2022
Thema:

Both on screen and physical keyboard don't work sometimes

1. Both on screen and physical keyboard don't work sometimes - Similar Threads - Both screen physical

2. My physical and screen keyboard are not working…

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My physical and screen keyboard are not working…: I woke up and randomly my physical and screen keyboard both stopped working, whenever I try to type something a random page opens, I tried everything I could find online for the past 2 hours and nothing worked. Please help...
  3. My physical and screen keyboard are not working…

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My physical and screen keyboard are not working…: I woke up and randomly my physical and screen keyboard both stopped working, whenever I try to type something a random page opens, I tried everything I could find online for the past 2 hours and nothing worked. Please help...
  4. Down arrow button not working on both on-screen keyboard and physical keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Down arrow button not working on both on-screen keyboard and physical keyboard: Hi. I'm using an Asus A442UR notebook. 3 days ago, suddenly my down arrow won't work on the keyboard. I thought it's due to dust, but upon cleaning it , it still not workingI then try to use on-screen keyboard but still it's not workingExternal keyboard also show same...
  5. Down arrow button not working on both on-screen keyboard and physical keyboard

Down arrow button not working on both on-screen keyboard and physical keyboard: Hi. I'm using an Asus A442UR notebook. 3 days ago, suddenly my down arrow won't work on the keyboard. I thought it's due to dust, but upon cleaning it , it still not workingI then try to use on-screen keyboard but still it's not workingExternal keyboard also show same...
  6. Down arrow button not working on both on-screen keyboard and physical keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Both on screen and physical keyboard don't work sometimes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Both on screen and physical keyboard don't work sometimes: I am using an Acer Swift 3 SF-57G Laptop on Windows 10. I am currently facing issues with it's keyboard which is acting erratically Both on screen and physical. Sometimes the keys work when I hold down Ctrl sometimes they don't. Physically pressing the keys does not input...
  8. Both on screen and physical keyboard don't work sometimes

Both on screen and physical keyboard don't work sometimes: I am using an Acer Swift 3 SF-57G Laptop on Windows 10. I am currently facing issues with it's keyboard which is acting erratically Both on screen and physical. Sometimes the keys work when I hold down Ctrl sometimes they don't. Physically pressing the keys does not input...
  9. KEY ONLY WORKS WHILE PRESSING SHIFT BOTH PHYSICAL AND ON-SCREEN KEYBOARD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    KEY ONLY WORKS WHILE PRESSING SHIFT BOTH PHYSICAL AND ON-SCREEN KEYBOARD: Hello, I am experiencing an issue wHere my "H" key only works while pressing shift. Even the on-screen touch keyboard only inputs H if I first press the shift key. CAPS Lock enables me to type H in lowercase but the shift key must still be held down. Please help I'm a...
  10. Right Arrow Key input not working on both physical and on/screen keyboard.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Right Arrow Key input not working on both physical and on/screen keyboard.: Hello, My system is not detecting the "Right Arrow" key pressed. I have tried 2 different keyboards (one of them brand new), and even the on-screen virtual keyboard of Windows: the input is just not computed by the system: all the times Right Arrow is pressed (on any...