Windows 10: Bottom taskbar disappears randomly after using external monitor

Discus and support Bottom taskbar disappears randomly after using external monitor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there connecting a bog standard laptop (display res 768 X 1366) to a second monitor and setting that as the primary display (HD 1920 X 1080) the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Nov 27, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Bottom taskbar disappears randomly after using external monitor

Hi there

connecting a bog standard laptop (display res 768 X 1366) to a second monitor and setting that as the primary display (HD 1920 X 1080) the bottom taskbar randomly disappears or becomes non functional. The strange thing is that if I place the quick launch taskbar on the sides or the top this doesn't happen -- however I've got used to having the taskbar on the bottom. Note it might take ages before the taskbar disappears but it always does - annoying if you are in the middle of something important.

This problem has only started since TH2. Doesn't happen on a not upgraded laptop *running RTM before the upgrade) or on any Linux Hosts running W10 as a VM in Full screen mode.

It's quite annoying - I have to re-boot to regain functionality of meny and quick launch taskbar again.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 27, 2015
  2. JC PDX Win User

Taskbar Disappears on main screen when using multiple monitors

I'm using Windows 10 on my laptop, and I dock my laptop so I can use two additional monitors. I have the taskbar set to hide. The taskbar appears on all three monitors upon initial startup. After some time (which I cannot pinpoint), the taskbar on the
    laptop screen disappears and never comes back. The taskbar continues to work normally on the two external monitors. The taskbar returns to the laptopn screen if I restart my laptop, althought his is a real inconvenience. Any suggestions?

JC PDX, Nov 27, 2015
  3. johnptd Win User
    Windows background is partially missing

Check the refresh rate that has been assigned to the external monitor. It might not be correct. This happened to me where I could not see the Taskbar at the bottom because it was covered by a black bar. I found that after the upgrade, it had assigned a refresh
    rate of 59% to the monitor instead of 60%. Once I changed that back, everything was ok.

JohnD

johnptd, Nov 27, 2015
Thema:

Bottom taskbar disappears randomly after using external monitor

1. Bottom taskbar disappears randomly after using external monitor - Similar Threads - Bottom taskbar disappears

2. Bottom taskbar, task manager, and start bottom not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bottom taskbar, task manager, and start bottom not working: It was all working fine and then i decided to turn on my computer and my bottom taskbar stopped working. i cant click anything on it. i have read how to fix it but people have said to use the start button or task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) and nothing is working. the rest of my...
  3. Using External Monitors with lid closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Using External Monitors with lid closed: I had my set up work before. I have a laptop and 2 monitors. One monitor is connected via VGA cord and the other via HDMI. When I shut the lid of the laptop the monitor connected via VGA disconnects and wants to go into power saving mode, like if the computer went to...
  4. Enlarged taskbar icons on the external monitor

Enlarged taskbar icons on the external monitor: Ho do I fix this without a restart?[ATTACH] On my second monitor, the time font is too large and the taskbar alert icons are fuzzy like they're not scaling correctly: [ATTACH] Problem occurs when I dock my laptop. Have had the same issue with a Surface laptop dock and my...
  5. Second Monitor Taskbar Disappearing when Using Show Desktop Function

in Windows 10 Support
    Second Monitor Taskbar Disappearing when Using Show Desktop Function: My second monitor's taskbar is gone when i use the show desktop function, Picture for clarification. I can’t seem to make the taskbar stay, and it’s pretty annoying because I often use the show desktop function. How do you make the taskbar stay when using the show desktop...
  6. Windows 10 Taskbar icons disappearing at random

Windows 10 Taskbar icons disappearing at random: After revealing the task bar from auto-hide, most of the task bar will be blank save for a line and the start button. None of the icons including open applications or status icons appear. They usually reappear after re-positioning the task bar or typing in start's search....
  7. External monitor randomly stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor randomly stopped working: I have a Windows 10 laptop and an external monitor. The monitor was working perfectly for a few weeks, until one day I switched on the laptop to find that the monitor was no longer working. Going to 'Display Settings' only showed one monitor, and pressing 'Detect' said...
  8. Taskbar on the bottom MIDDLE possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar on the bottom MIDDLE possible?: I just got an ultrawide monitor (34") and I thought it would be awesome. But so far I am not liking the fact that the taskbar is positioned at the bottom left (and right). This means a lot of mouse travel and neck turning. In theory, the way to best solve it would be just...
  9. Using 4K Dell Monitor, Issue with Taskbar on bottom of Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Using 4K Dell Monitor, Issue with Taskbar on bottom of Screen: Hi first post so go easy on me. Hi to all firstly. I upgraded my monitor recently to a Dell 4k display. The issue/niggle I have is that the task bar at 4k resolution and relevant scaling within the Display properties is only showing on 50% on the bottom of the screen which...
  10. Randomly disappearing taskbar and start icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Randomly disappearing taskbar and start icons: I have tried doing fresh installs of Windows 10 multiple times but I always face this issue where items in the start menu and/or taskbar jump lists disappear randomly. I am attaching a screenshot for this. This also happens when after I close any game (Eg. Battlefield 4, Tomb...