Windows 10: Bottom taskbar disappears randomly after using external monitor

Discus and support Bottom taskbar disappears randomly after using external monitor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there connecting a bog standard laptop (display res 768 X 1366) to a second monitor and setting that as the primary display (HD 1920 X 1080) the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Nov 27, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Bottom taskbar disappears randomly after using external monitor

Hi there

connecting a bog standard laptop (display res 768 X 1366) to a second monitor and setting that as the primary display (HD 1920 X 1080) the bottom taskbar randomly disappears or becomes non functional. The strange thing is that if I place the quick launch taskbar on the sides or the top this doesn't happen -- however I've got used to having the taskbar on the bottom. Note it might take ages before the taskbar disappears but it always does - annoying if you are in the middle of something important.

This problem has only started since TH2. Doesn't happen on a not upgraded laptop *running RTM before the upgrade) or on any Linux Hosts running W10 as a VM in Full screen mode.

It's quite annoying - I have to re-boot to regain functionality of meny and quick launch taskbar again.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 27, 2015
  2. JC PDX Win User

Taskbar Disappears on main screen when using multiple monitors

I'm using Windows 10 on my laptop, and I dock my laptop so I can use two additional monitors. I have the taskbar set to hide. The taskbar appears on all three monitors upon initial startup. After some time (which I cannot pinpoint), the taskbar on the
    laptop screen disappears and never comes back. The taskbar continues to work normally on the two external monitors. The taskbar returns to the laptopn screen if I restart my laptop, althought his is a real inconvenience. Any suggestions?

JC PDX, Nov 27, 2015
  3. johnptd Win User
    Windows background is partially missing

Check the refresh rate that has been assigned to the external monitor. It might not be correct. This happened to me where I could not see the Taskbar at the bottom because it was covered by a black bar. I found that after the upgrade, it had assigned a refresh
    rate of 59% to the monitor instead of 60%. Once I changed that back, everything was ok.

JohnD

johnptd, Nov 27, 2015
Thema:

Bottom taskbar disappears randomly after using external monitor

1. Bottom taskbar disappears randomly after using external monitor - Similar Threads - Bottom taskbar disappears

2. My bottom taskbar has disappeared . what gives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My bottom taskbar has disappeared . what gives: Split from this thread. My bottom taskbar has disappeared . what gives https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-bottom-taskbar-has-disappeared-what-gives/c1538a48-8def-4b13-aae8-d7964f9e839a
  3. My bottom taskbar has disappeared . what gives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My bottom taskbar has disappeared . what gives: Split from this thread. My bottom taskbar has disappeared . what gives https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-bottom-taskbar-has-disappeared-what-gives/c1538a48-8def-4b13-aae8-d7964f9e839a
  4. taskbar apps disappear randomly

taskbar apps disappear randomly: hi ms answers,for some reason my apps are getting randomly hidden from the taskbar. it mostly happens to fullscreen apps when i minimize them, and then they just completely disappear from the taskbar and i can only open the app by using task manager. it also happens to...
  5. taskbar apps disappear randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    taskbar apps disappear randomly: hi ms answers,for some reason my apps are getting randomly hidden from the taskbar. it mostly happens to fullscreen apps when i minimize them, and then they just completely disappear from the taskbar and i can only open the app by using task manager. it also happens to...
  6. Bigger Taskbar Bottom Padding on Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bigger Taskbar Bottom Padding on Second Monitor: Hi, The title explains it all. I just upgraded to Windows 11 and I'm facing an issue where the bottom padding on my second monitor's taskbar is bigger than usual. Picture attached for convenience. I hope there'll be a fix for this soon. Also, is there an option available for...
  7. Bigger Taskbar Bottom Padding on Second Monitor

Bigger Taskbar Bottom Padding on Second Monitor: Hi, The title explains it all. I just upgraded to Windows 11 and I'm facing an issue where the bottom padding on my second monitor's taskbar is bigger than usual. Picture attached for convenience. I hope there'll be a fix for this soon. Also, is there an option available for...
  8. taskbar icons disappeared on bottom left corner

in Windows 10 Support
    taskbar icons disappeared on bottom left corner: Need help with taskbar icons disappeared on bottom left corner 164753
  9. Bluetooth disappears after disconnecting from external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth disappears after disconnecting from external monitor: I have a dell xps 13 2 in 1 2019 and i use a vava usb c dongle to connect to an external monitor and keyboard. When I safely remove the device and unplug the usb c dongle the screen flashes black for a second and after that weird stuff happens. The most common problem is that...
  10. Using 4K Dell Monitor, Issue with Taskbar on bottom of Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Using 4K Dell Monitor, Issue with Taskbar on bottom of Screen: Hi first post so go easy on me. Hi to all firstly. I upgraded my monitor recently to a Dell 4k display. The issue/niggle I have is that the task bar at 4k resolution and relevant scaling within the Display properties is only showing on 50% on the bottom of the screen which...