Windows 10: Bought a Win10 laptop from a guy,how to change the login and password?

Discus and support Bought a Win10 laptop from a guy,how to change the login and password? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Bought a 2-year-old Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 from a fellow. He gave me his password (actually it's a 4-digit PIN) with it of course, and it works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LilAbner, Dec 17, 2020.

1. LilAbner Win User

Bought a Win10 laptop from a guy,how to change the login and password?

Bought a 2-year-old Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 from a fellow. He gave me his password (actually it's a 4-digit PIN) with it of course, and it works fine as long as I use his PIN, he said that's fine with him.

But what I really want to do is eliminate the need for a password or PIN at all. And I wouldn't mind changing the account name that comes up in the middle of the screen when I first power up the computer, with my own name. Right now it's a string of meaningless numbers.

I've googled around and found how to CHANGE the PIN, that's progress. But I'd rather get rid of it entirely, When changing the PIN, I tried to simply enter nothing and hope that got rid of the need for it, but no luck. It kept balking and telling me to type in a PIN. Finally typed in a new one I'd remember, typed it again to confirm, and now I have to type that new one in then I power up.

How can I get rid of the need for a PIN at all?

And how can I get the computer to display my name instead of the string of meaningless numbers it shows in the screen (I think that might be an administrative account)?

Thanks all!

:)

LilAbner, Dec 17, 2020

2. Just bought PC and can't login

I just bought a new Samsung laptop. Went through the setup. Skipped the part on creating a microsoft acount. Set my password for the laptop. Played around for a while and every thing worked great. Shut down PC. Got on this morning and couldn't log in. I know what my password is but I tried every other password I have ever used and can't get in. Booted to Bios to changed priority to boot to USB so I could hack the password, but there is no USB option. Went through all the articles I could find on the web but found no solution.

Any Suggestions? Is it really asking me for a microsoft account login instead of my laptop login?

Thanks

madgreek65, Dec 17, 2020
  3. Just bought PC and can't login

This is solved. Moral of the story is you must setup a Microsoft account or you can't login. My old laptop was Win 7 and that was not the case. The fix was to do a factory restore by booting with F4 held down. Then go through the setup and include a MS account.

madgreek65, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Bought a Win10 laptop from a guy,how to change the login and password?

Password issue

After going through the steps to make a new password, after a week or two, my login credentials are no longer valid. I'm forced to make a new password all over again. It seems to happen if I don't login in a certain period of time. Does our passwords expire???

GoFigureItOut, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

Bought a Win10 laptop from a guy,how to change the login and password?

1. Bought a Win10 laptop from a guy,how to change the login and password? - Similar Threads - Bought Win10 laptop

2. Unwanted change from Password to PIN login.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted change from Password to PIN login.: Hi.I set up a PIN I didn't want to but I didn't think it would hurt, I suppose I should have known better given Microsoft's atrocious track record to access work emails via outlook on my home PC.Doing this has apparently reset my login method to my home PC to using this...
  3. Unwanted change from Password to PIN login.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unwanted change from Password to PIN login.: Hi.I set up a PIN I didn't want to but I didn't think it would hurt, I suppose I should have known better given Microsoft's atrocious track record to access work emails via outlook on my home PC.Doing this has apparently reset my login method to my home PC to using this...
  4. Bought a Win10 laptop from a guy,how to change the login and password?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Bought a Win10 laptop from a guy,how to change the login and password?: Bought a 2-year-old Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 from a fellow. He gave me his password (actually it's a 4-digit PIN) with it of course, and it works fine as long as I use his PIN, he said that's fine with him. But what I really want to do is eliminate the need for a...
  5. Laptop login password change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Laptop login password change: Hello, I have been trying for ninety minutes to change my password. I have changed my windows account password four times in the process. I do not want to change my windows account password, I want to change the key I use to log in to my computer. It is not a local account....
  6. changing local win10 password when lost and stuck at login

changing local win10 password when lost and stuck at login: Will both these methods work if windows is set to booting safemode minimal? one uses Lazesoft [/COLOR] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BvkxDP4DA4&feature=emb_logo This uses windows install usb renaming utilman.exe and swapping a renamed cmd.exe to utilman.exe Then...
  7. changing local win10 password when lost and stuck at login

in Windows 10 Support
    changing local win10 password when lost and stuck at login: Will both these methods work if windows is set to booting safemode minimal? one uses Lazesoft [/COLOR] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BvkxDP4DA4&feature=emb_logo This uses windows install usb renaming utilman.exe and swapping a renamed cmd.exe to utilman.exe Then...
  8. Change from PIN to Password Login

Change from PIN to Password Login: Hi all, please help me with the issue below: I’m using Windows 10, and I was using password to log into my laptop. However, after updating windows, I was prompted to change to PIN, so I started using PIN for a while. Now, for some reasons after updating Windows, I was...
  9. Changed Hotmail password on smartphone - will it affect Win10 login?

Changed Hotmail password on smartphone - will it affect Win10 login?: I have asked this question on another site and have received some useful advice. But I thought I would check here as well. I have a PC and two Laptops. On all three I have disabled the Win10 login screen so that they start without having to enter a password. I do have a...
  10. Changed Hotmail password on smartphone - will it affect Win10 login?

Changed Hotmail password on smartphone - will it affect Win10 login?: I have a PC and two Laptops. On all three I have disabled the Win10 login screen so that they start without having to enter a password. I do have a Microsoft Hotmail email account the emails of which I access on my android tablet and smartphone email app. I have just changed...