Windows 10: Bought new SSD, after installation PC will no longer boot properly even after SSD is removed

Discus and support Bought new SSD, after installation PC will no longer boot properly even after SSD is removed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I recently bought a second SSD drive and installed it. Upon installation, my PC started having major issues. First of all, my original SSD that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rs10c, Mar 3, 2020.

1. rs10c Win User

Bought new SSD, after installation PC will no longer boot properly even after SSD is removed

Hi,

I recently bought a second SSD drive and installed it. Upon installation, my PC started having major issues.

First of all, my original SSD that I installed windows on will no longer boot properly- when booting directly from it now it just black screens. I tired to fix this by booting from the other drives/options but none of them work boot manager just says my windows isnt starting properly and wants me to restart, which does nothing.

I've tried uninstalling windows, reformatting both drives, and reinstalling with windows USB - which works, until I turn of my PC and it goes back to the original problem.

Next I tried physically uninstalling the new SSD and trying to boot my pc into windows from my original SSD, which now doesn't work and just sits on the black screen... I've also tried switching between UFEI and LEgacy and neither work.

It seems the only way it's working is when I wipe both drives and reinstall windows, it works perfectly fine until as I stated above I reset the PC and the problem begins again.

:)

rs10c, Mar 3, 2020

2. Bought a New SSD

i bought a new 500gb SSD and would like to use it instead of my old hard drive. I have a windows product key and tried to download the windows 10 installation media to a usb but it said there was a problem. If i just take out my old hard drive and plug in
    my new SSD, can i just reboot my computer and instert my windows activation key? Or do i have to do the windows 10 installation media, an if so how to i avoid getting the error?

Here is a link of my computer parts:

System Builder

LiamErickson, Mar 3, 2020
  3. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Mar 3, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Bought new SSD, after installation PC will no longer boot properly even after SSD is removed

New SSD wont boot

Hi John

Boot into BIOS, is SATA Mode set to AHCI to enable booting from an SSD drive?

Is the SSD drive set a top of the Boot Priority list?

Did you try connecting that SSD to the SATA Port normally used by your old HDD?

DaveM121, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Bought new SSD, after installation PC will no longer boot properly even after SSD is removed - Similar Threads - Bought SSD installation

2. Can no longer boot windows after trying to install a new ssd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can no longer boot windows after trying to install a new ssd.: I purchased an ssd with an m.2 port recently which I made sure to check that my motherboard had a slot, which it did. Upon installing my PC no longer booted to windows and instead prompted with the following error "windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change...
  3. Can no longer boot windows after trying to install a new ssd.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can no longer boot windows after trying to install a new ssd.: I purchased an ssd with an m.2 port recently which I made sure to check that my motherboard had a slot, which it did. Upon installing my PC no longer booted to windows and instead prompted with the following error "windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change...
  4. Can no longer boot windows after trying to install a new ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Bought new M.2 SSD, PC will not boot while it's installed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bought new M.2 SSD, PC will not boot while it's installed: Some time ago I bought a pre-built PC make is PowerSpec. It came with an SSD already installed, but the motherboard an ASRock B450 Pro4 has one additional slot for an M.2 SSD it has an "Ultra M.2" sticker on it if that means anything. Today I bought another SSD to increase...
  6. Bought new M.2 SSD, PC will not boot while it's installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bought new M.2 SSD, PC will not boot while it's installed: Some time ago I bought a pre-built PC make is PowerSpec. It came with an SSD already installed, but the motherboard an ASRock B450 Pro4 has one additional slot for an M.2 SSD it has an "Ultra M.2" sticker on it if that means anything. Today I bought another SSD to increase...
  7. Bought new M.2 SSD, PC will not boot while it's installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. PC won't boot after I installed new M2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't boot after I installed new M2 SSD: Hello, I've recently acquired an Nvme SSD, I never had one before, I only have 2 HDD 500gb each and Win10 is installed in one of them. Anyway, so as soon as I installed the ssd and attempted to boot the Pc, it didn't launch.I tried removing all Usb cables connected, tried to...
  9. PC won't boot after I installed new M2 SSD

PC won't boot after I installed new M2 SSD: Hello, I've recently acquired an Nvme SSD, I never had one before, I only have 2 HDD 500gb each and Win10 is installed in one of them. Anyway, so as soon as I installed the ssd and attempted to boot the Pc, it didn't launch.I tried removing all Usb cables connected, tried to...
  10. PC won't boot after installing new SSD

PC won't boot after installing new SSD: Hi, I just bought and installed a new SSD on my PC previously had an SSD and HD. But when I tried to boot the PC, it showed a message "reboot and select proper boot device... Press a key". I was able to boot the PC using windows boot manager. But the booting process is...