Windows 10: Box flashes on screen

Discus and support Box flashes on screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was wondering if anyone could assist. Every 2 or 3 hours on my pc, the outline of a black box flashes up on my screen for a fraction of a second. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abibee, May 30, 2017.

1. abibee Win User

Box flashes on screen

I was wondering if anyone could assist. Every 2 or 3 hours on my pc, the outline of a black box flashes up on my screen for a fraction of a second. I have cyberghost installed and thought it may be that, but I closed it down, and the box flashed shortly after, so I think it isn't that. It looks like a command prompt box, but it's so quick it's hard to tell. Is there anyway to tell what it is and what's doing it? I want to know what's doing this, as it's a recent development and I'm curious.

:)

abibee, May 30, 2017
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

Command box flashes on screen since windows updates

Hello Angel,

There are a number of reasons why you are getting the prompt. One example is a corrupted file or app on your system. To isolate the issue, we would like you to answer the following questions:

• If it’s not too quick to hit Print Screen, can you include a
      screenshot
      of the prompt?
    • Have you tried running your Anti-virus or Anti-malware software?
    • Do you have a software called ArcadeGiant?

Looking forward to your response.

Jelo Sen, May 30, 2017
  3. Angel672 Win User
    Command box flashes on screen since windows updates

I'll try to get a screenshot, but I think it is too fast. I have F secure through charter. I also ran Malware Bytes professional twice, and it did not find anything. I looked for ArcadeGiant, and I don't have that. I hope I don't have any corrupted files
    already. I have only used my new laptop a few times :'(

Thanks Box flashes on screen :)

Angel672, May 30, 2017
  4. Jeff1961 Win User

Box flashes on screen

I'm having a similar issue.
    When i'm in a game, full screen...the displays go black for 3 seconds...then the game is in Windowed Mode.
    If i'm not in a game, I see the outline of a Windows "window" for a split second.
    I cannot make out anything in the title bar to know what it is. The contents of the window appear black, with the window itself having a white border.
    It is happening at hourly intervals...at exactly 43 minutes after the hour, for every hour my computer is on.

It has happened while watching movies, or while the computer is idle as well.

I'm running Windows 10 Home.

I've not updated any drivers or software recently except CCleaner...which I turned the auto-features off for, but it made no difference. The problem started a week ago, and CCleaner has been installed for 3 weeks. So I doubt this is it.

I've been in Event Viewer in Win10 looking for a sign of something occurring 43 minutes after the hour...but there's nothing there. Meaning...?...that whatever it is...is not seen by the os as an "error"?

Windows Defender is my only other security program.
    I was going to run MalwareBytes free version to see if it finds anything.
    I've looked on the Internet for similar issues and they exist going back many years, but the tendency is for them to all be different applications causing it.
    So the next thing i'm looking for is some way to search my system for something that is regularly doing something 43 minutes after the hour. (although I will take a movie of it happening later today...to see if a frame can catch the window and I can perhaps see a name in the title bar)

Any ideas?

Jeff1961, May 30, 2017
  5. abibee Win User
    Not a clue. I'm WIn 10 Home too, I got creators update a couple weeks ago, coincidence? Using Kaspersky, not WD.

abibee, May 30, 2017
  6. Jeff1961 Win User
    Jeff1961, May 31, 2017
  7. MattyB Win User
    Just adding, I've also recently had this happening - it kicks me out of games and anything full screen. You might be onto something with the 43 minutes, mine was pretty close to this time too. Will have to see if it happens again in the hour.

I'm thinking it might be nVidia related, not sure if it happened at the same time I installed the new driver and/or GeForce Experience software?

Otherwise, nothing showing in event viewer....other apps I'm keeping an eye on is Steam.

MattyB, May 31, 2017
  8. abibee Win User

Box flashes on screen

abibee, May 31, 2017
  9. Jeff1961 Win User
    Thanks Abibi.

Before seeing the above link...I used a pocket camera to video the window flashing...brought it in to a video editor and saved the frame...I could barely read it, but it was obvious it was related to Microsoft Office. I uninstalled it, restarted the computer and ran CCleaner, restarted and ran CCleaner once more before all the Office registry entries were gone.
    The window did not reappear at 43 minutes after the hour again.

I get Office through my employer program called Microsoft Office Home Use Program. It's an online download and if like me you switch to a new computer and don't write down the serial key...you can't register it. I don't use it much at home so left it installed for the past 8 months...waiting for my annual opportunity to buy it again from work.

So...perhaps I could have avoiding uninstalling it...but I don't really need it anyways so no problem.

Jeff1961, May 31, 2017
  10. Mystere Win User
    Yes, it's the Office Background Task runner, I figured it out by enabling process auditing in local security policy. Then, when it flashed, I immediately checked my event log.

Nobody is really sure what this task does, or if it's needed for anything. So disabling it, as suggested in other posts may not be the best solution. If @Jeff1961 's solution works, that might be a better choice.

Mystere, May 31, 2017
  11. JoJo1381 Win User
    I use Win 8 and it only just started happening after all this time. I noticed immediately after that another box flashed very fast but I did read the word 'update'. I also use 2007 version of Office so I doubt it is that.

JoJo1381, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Box flashes on screen

1. Box flashes on screen - Similar Threads - Box flashes screen

2. Flashing Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Flashing Screen: Can some one tell me how to make this check box work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flashing-screen/f3cdd289-7f35-41c8-9086-6cbeb782e54e
  3. Flashing Screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Flashing Screen: Good morning all. Of I sign in on my Dell XPS laptop with Win 10 Pro with a administrator account set up as a local user the laptop works perfecty. If I try and sign in with another user account that is setup to work with my office domain I am unable to sign in, as soon as...
  4. Rectangular box quickly flashes on bootup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rectangular box quickly flashes on bootup: Has any noticed upon a reboot, when one comes to the Windows screen, a rectangular box quickly flashes and disappears? It's like it's there for a nanosecond and it's gone as quick as it comes. I thought it to be related to this one computer but then noticed the same thing...
  5. Windows 10 - white box rapidly flashes on screen

Windows 10 - white box rapidly flashes on screen: Since the Windows 10 update last Thursday my Dell has developed an issue with a white square that rapidly flashes up on my screen, repeatedly but randomly. It can flash quickly in rapid succession, or just once. It can be seconds apart, or considerable minutes apart. Often...
  6. Blank Cmd box flashing on screen

Blank Cmd box flashing on screen: Tried everything I know - still flashing every min or so... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blank-cmd-box-flashing-on-screen/1a2c5e13-0272-4b51-b376-21e2dd4ecf6a
  7. pop up flashing box

pop up flashing box: Im getting a pop up box with flashing message: Model: SDM-HS75P Ser No: 1023569 Mfg: 2005-18 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pop-up-flashing-box/5f65935a-b8f7-4e88-9eff-2d32a47abe45
  8. flashing screen

flashing screen: I have problems with my monitor you see the flickering screen this happened after I did the update to Windows 10. Please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flashing-screen/092dde10-142e-487b-b281-f89b89407c49
  9. Flashing black box on screen

Flashing black box on screen: I keep getting a box that comes up on the screen and it says C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe. What can I do to stop this nuisance. None of the antivirus, malware and RKill show anything causing this situation? Any suggestions, I am a newbie so a detailed answer is needed...
  10. Flashing screen

in Cortana
    Flashing screen: My computer is new but every once in awhile my screen will flash. If I am playing a timed game where the movement must be fast it will increasingly flash more. Can anyone help with this?...