Windows 10: Brand new computer - final intent of installing w10

Discus and support Brand new computer - final intent of installing w10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When recieving a brand new PC with no OS installed, with the final intent of having w10. Am i correct in saying that the "safest" way to achieve... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by knugelknut, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Brand new computer - final intent of installing w10

When recieving a brand new PC with no OS installed, with the final intent of having w10.
    Am i correct in saying that the "safest" way to achieve sucessfull w10 activation is an w8.1 w/key installation, followed by a w10 upgrade/clean install?

Also, is there any reasons why I should choose a w10 clean install over a w10 upgrade seeing as the PC is brand new?

:)

knugelknut, Aug 24, 2015

2. windows 10 temporary profile help

Did the brand-new Win10 computer come with a Norton application or a McAfee application
    preinstalled by the OEM? [Doesn't matter if you never used/activated it.]

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 24, 2015
  3. Cortana stuck at Before I can help, you'll need to go to settings and change your speech language to one that I can speak

What a bloody messy thing to have to go through. I have to say, I have liked W10 as an upgrade, but a new install has been a nightmare. I've had to reinstall 3 times. I started on Saturday afternoon, now its Tuesday night and finally have a stable system.

Aceracer21, Aug 24, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Brand new computer - final intent of installing w10

Yes,, that would be the way to go.. WIn8.1.. install, activate and upgrade to 10. As for the clean instillation.. it's up to you but I found that the upgrade on a freshly installed Win8.1 had zero issues.

Jeff
    PS congrats on the new PC!!

BunnyJ, Aug 24, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    The safest way to obtain a successful Windows 10 activation would be to purchase either an OEM or Retail Windows 10 key/license, but that would also be the most expensive.

Or, install Windows 8.1. Make sure it is permanently activated. Upgrade in place from the running Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Ensure that is activated. Make sure to select the option to keep programs and data. If the upgrade asks you to enter a product key, it ain't going right - stop and cancel and figure it out because you won't get a Windows 10 activation.

It's up to you if you clean install after that. You can remove the clutter from the previous Windows 8.1 using a couple different disk cleanup tools. If you decide to do a clean install, when it asks for a product key click on the tiny text that allows you to "skip" it.

NavyLCDR, Aug 24, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Aug 24, 2015
  7. thanks for all the answers guys!
    Am I correct in saying that using the "upgrade option" in this case for upgrading to w10 will give me a w8.1 recovery partition, in addition to the then "new" w10 recovery partition?

Am I also correct when saying that the w8.1 partition, only serves the purpose of reverting back to w8.1 via a "downgrade"?

cheers

knugelknut, Aug 24, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

You'll get a windows.old folder and that will be the way windows downgrades.

BunnyJ, Aug 24, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    I believe then you only have 30 days to decide to go back, then the restore option(point) is automatically deleted, even though the .old folder remains. For the case that you "might want to" go back to 8.1, you should create a system image.

Cliff S, Aug 24, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    True..*Smile

BunnyJ, Aug 24, 2015
  11. thanks again for the swift answers guys! you are awesome <3

Then, does that mean that after sucessfully upgrading to w10 I can just use a disk cleanup tool to delete the w8.1 recovery partition? seeing as it doesnt really have any real use since its not used for downgrading(as opposed to the windows.old folder) ?

knugelknut, Aug 24, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    You would have to use a disk partitioning program like MiniTool Partition Wizard to delete the recovery partition and then extend your operating system partition to reclaim the space (Well, you can also do it in disk management in Windows, but I have never trusted that to do what I want). On a new PC with no factory OS on it, I do not keep a recovery partition because it is just as easy to pop in a USB drive with the install media stored on it.

NavyLCDR, Aug 24, 2015
  13. Cliff S New Member

After Win10 is activated(settings app>Update & Security>Activation, you can turn around and do a clean install, so I recommend that you wait to install any 3rd party stuff and really set everything up(do it after, drivers too can wait also, because 10 has a lot of current drivers in it's OOBE) Just when you do the clean install you will be offered 3 times to give you activation key, just Skip, Skip, Do this later.... and when 10 is installed go to the Activation screen once again to check(of course you need to be online to do so).

Cliff S, Aug 24, 2015
  14. I'm about to build a new tower and will be doing the very same thing. I have several licenses available, so I may just burn a Windows 7 one, but I'll install it to test the hardware and stability of the build. Then, I'll upgrade to 10. Once activated, I'll wipe it out, do a clean install and begin using the computer for everyday use.

DeaconFrost, Aug 24, 2015
  15. Alrighty! thanks a ton for all your answers guys!

cheers

knugelknut, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Brand new computer - final intent of installing w10 - Similar Threads - Brand computer final

2. Fresh w10 install crashes in final stage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh w10 install crashes in final stage: So I have a fujitsu q520 that was running w10 and used a tv screen via dp adaptor and hdmi. i bought a monitor and didn't get an image through that cable so I used a dvi lead and all was good kind of during the changing of leads because i had no screen i had to power off...
  3. Fresh w10 install crashes in final stage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh w10 install crashes in final stage: So I have a fujitsu q520 that was running w10 and used a tv screen via dp adaptor and hdmi. i bought a monitor and didn't get an image through that cable so I used a dvi lead and all was good kind of during the changing of leads because i had no screen i had to power off...
  4. Fresh w10 install crashes in final stage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Bought a brand new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bought a brand new computer: Well it seems the virus, replicator or whatever intruded my old computer, just took everything over. Couldn't delete suspicious stuff Had Advanced Security Pro installed a week after I got it. It kept making users & made a group policy. But nothing ever caught it! These...
  6. Bought a brand new computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bought a brand new computer: Well it seems the virus, replicator or whatever intruded my old computer, just took everything over. Couldn't delete suspicious stuff Had Advanced Security Pro installed a week after I got it. It kept making users & made a group policy. But nothing ever caught it! These...
  7. unable to install W10 on a brand new HP 15 i7 laptop

unable to install W10 on a brand new HP 15 i7 laptop: Hi,I am unable to get past the screen of the installation dialogue that asks me to choose a driver to install W10, the reason being that it simply does not display ANY DRIVER. The software seems to fail to identify the computer driver SSD 512GB. Please advise....
  8. Brand new computer crashing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brand new computer crashing.: Bought a brand new gaming desktop today for $1600, haven't even had it a total of 12 hours and it crashes randomly, doesn't even blue screen, It just black screens then reboots itself in about 5 seconds, not entirely sure what to do....
  9. Installing W10 Pro on a new computer

Installing W10 Pro on a new computer: I am about to retire my old desktop (W10 Pro Microsoft account) and replace it with a new one. Is there any way I can install version 1809 on the new machine without having to pay extra for an upgrade from Home? I have a bootable 1809 thumb drive from which I assume I can use...
  10. Brand new computer Brand New Updates

Brand new computer Brand New Updates: computer was bought friday by my wife it worked AWESOME!!! did some form of update sunday night while we were sleeping computer has not worked right since it randomly crashes with a new reason each time and this happened after a microsoft update and even the store the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. installing w10 on a new computer