Windows 10: Brand New Desktop - 500GB SSD: Windows System & Files taking up 192GB

Discus and support Brand New Desktop - 500GB SSD: Windows System & Files taking up 192GB in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a brand new desktop, got it last week. Runs greats, but I noticed that that my SSD is already filling up and, on inspection, System & Reserve... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ZachB_05, Apr 21, 2020.

1. ZachB_05 Win User

Brand New Desktop - 500GB SSD: Windows System & Files taking up 192GB

I have a brand new desktop, got it last week. Runs greats, but I noticed that that my SSD is already filling up and, on inspection, System & Reserve are taking up 192GB! Anyway to fix this?

Brand New Desktop - 500GB SSD: Windows System & Files taking up 192GB 8022c5f2-b051-4240-bf07-c2c47a833a08?upload=true.png Brand New Desktop - 500GB SSD: Windows System & Files taking up 192GB 221c8dfb-f1f1-4de4-877a-f294c7fd3ea9?upload=true.png

:)

ZachB_05, Apr 21, 2020
  2. Riekopo Win User

Installing Windows 10 on a new SSD

I currently have Windows 7 64 bit installed on my old 256GB Crucial m4 SSD. I have a second 500GB 7200RPM HDD in my system installed that doesn't have anything on it. The SATA is operating as AHCI. I bought a new Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD the other day.
    My question is, how can I install my Windows 10 on the new SSD? I want to take the old SSD out and sell it.

Riekopo, Apr 21, 2020
  3. Windows 10 System and reserved using 500GB of 1TB Storage

Why is System & reserved using nearly 500GB? This is a brand new Acer Aspire E5 laptop just unpacked, with only factory installed programs and no other new programs. or files. Factory installed Windows 10 Home. It has a 1TB hard disk storage.

What is using up the 500GB?

KevChan_20, Apr 21, 2020
  4. Brand New Desktop - 500GB SSD: Windows System & Files taking up 192GB

System files taking up 170 GB on a brand new computer

Hi,

I just got a new computer today. It came with Windows pre-installed (but not set up). After setting up, I updated the OS and installed three or four programs (Steam, Spotify, Chrome, and one video game that takes up about 13 gigs).

I noticed that half of my 500 gb SSD is already taken up, about ~220 gb. Yet, when I highlighted all of the folders in my C drive (including hidden folders) and checked their combined size was only ~50 gb.

After a lot of searching, I found that the "system" files are supposedly 170 GB. This is as reported in Settings -> System -> Storage -> "Show more categories" -> System & reserved. (See screenshot.) This, of course, makes no sense. Even being extremely
    generous, there's no reason the system files should be more than 70 GB. Note that the system files should not include any windows update stuff, any apps I've installed, or anything involving system restore, as these are all different categories.

I've noticed, when searching other threads, that there is some canned advice that people tend to give which is clearly not applicable here. So,
    before you type anything:

• Do not suggest Disk Cleanup. Aside from the fact I've already done this, if you read the above it should be clear that it won't fix this problem.
    • It seems very unlikely to me that there is some file buried deep in the C drive that I have access to and can delete. If there were, it wouldn't make sense for windows to report that all of the files in my C drive are only ~50 GB. In any case, I've checked
      a couple such files, like Windows.edb, and they weren't large.
    • Do not suggest deleting the hibernation file. I've already done this.
    • Do not suggest checking system restore, unless there's some reason system restore might end up taking more than the percentage of disk space you can set as its maximum.
    This computer is brand new -- literally got it today. There's clearly a deeper problem here than any of the typical issues listed above.

Note that third party programs like TreeSize and WinDirStat do not show any appreciable difference in the size of the files on my C drive.

Screenshots:
    Brand New Desktop - 500GB SSD: Windows System & Files taking up 192GB 95ea76bb-50a1-400c-a7b2-594fc089b17a?upload=true.png

Brand New Desktop - 500GB SSD: Windows System & Files taking up 192GB c0bac8da-dc07-40fe-91b6-6b9a1388db49?upload=true.png

Brand New Desktop - 500GB SSD: Windows System & Files taking up 192GB 4fe5bd20-83ae-4c4b-a27c-f920e7f0280c?upload=true.png

Brand New Desktop - 500GB SSD: Windows System & Files taking up 192GB 43c14433-01a5-4d46-b767-987287f31a94?upload=true.png

tyrannischgott, Apr 21, 2020
Thema:

Brand New Desktop - 500GB SSD: Windows System & Files taking up 192GB

1. Brand New Desktop - 500GB SSD: Windows System & Files taking up 192GB - Similar Threads - Brand Desktop 500GB

2. 500gb SSD Full with almost only system installed on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    500gb SSD Full with almost only system installed on it: Hey, i just recently installed windows 11 on my NVME of 500gb and it is already full! The folder winsxs is using 101gb and the softwaredistribution is using 80gb.In the SoftwareDistribution the folder using space is the download, i've already tried to stop windows update and...
  3. System taking up 500gb of space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System taking up 500gb of space: [ATTACH] Pretty simple. Is this normal? If not what can I do to reduce the space. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-taking-up-500gb-of-space/d80b4ffd-631a-41bb-8f21-a773a1a14568
  4. 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    500GB SSD to 1TB SSD: I have a 500GB SSD working in my laptop. I have a 1TB SSD in an external case. I have used EaseUS to clone them However, now my 1TB is 500GB. How do I reclaim the other 500GB? 161362
  5. 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    500GB SSD to 1TB SSD: I have a 500GB SSD working in my laptop. I have a 1TB SSD in an external case. I have used EaseUS to clone them However, now my 1TB is 500GB. How do I reclaim the other 500GB? 161362
  6. System files taking 185gb on brand new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System files taking 185gb on brand new computer: Just set this PC up yesterday it has a 500gb ssd and system & reserved is taking up 185gb. I've ran disk clean up as admin several times, I've used WinDirStat to look for any abnormally large files there are none, cbs logs are normal size. I've g one though every thread on...
  7. System files taking up 170 GB on a brand new computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System files taking up 170 GB on a brand new computer: Hi, I just got a new computer today. It came with Windows pre-installed (but not set up). After setting up, I updated the OS and installed three or four programs (Steam, Spotify, Chrome, and one video game that takes up about 13 gigs). I noticed that half of my 500 gb...
  8. Brand new SSD not working?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brand new SSD not working?: I just got a brand new SSD Kingston 240 GB SSD. Installed Windows 10 on it. Restarted the PC and it wouldn't boot, no operating system found. I went into Windows installation once again and I see the SSD being shown as an 2 TB drive with 0 MB free. What is going on? This...
  9. Black Boxes on Windows 10 Desktop Brand-new system

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black Boxes on Windows 10 Desktop Brand-new system: Hello, I have a brand-new system running Windows 10 from factory and from the minute it booted to the desktop I have had a bizarre bug. On the desktop I have black boxes. There are a few strange things about these boxes as well. For one, they show up perfectly in a...
  10. System image takes up a lot of space (500GB)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image takes up a lot of space (500GB): I really do not know what is normal size for a system image of windows 10, but mine takes up 500 GB of 1 TB harddisk. That seems to me a little bit excessive. Is there a tool I can use to make it smaller without disrupting it. 93781