Windows 10: Brand new hard drive, unable to boot off of USB drive.

Discus and support Brand new hard drive, unable to boot off of USB drive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Built a new computer with a WD SSD and tried to install/boot windows. I am now stuck in the boot cycle. I am using a brand new Windows boot USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Twodogsmoon, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Brand new hard drive, unable to boot off of USB drive.

Built a new computer with a WD SSD and tried to install/boot windows. I am now stuck in the boot cycle. I am using a brand new Windows boot USB purchased from Best Buy yesterday afternoon. The below error message is what I keep getting no matter what options I choose and the only system menus I have access to is the BIOS.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\System32\drivers\megasr.sys

Info: The operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

:)

Twodogsmoon, Mar 22, 2019

2. Unable to connect USB Hard Drives to laptop

After having connected a
    Sisun HDD docking station
    to my Sony Laptop , Windows Explorer refuses to recognise any USB hard drive (although other software such as a disk utility can) and I am therefore unable to save files to these drives. Windows does recognise some USB pen drives
    but larger HDD are not recognised. To date, I have;

• Uninstalled the USB controllers through Device manager (forcing Windows to reinstall them on reboot); and
    • Run both the WinUSB and DeviceDiagnostic software to no avail.
    I'd rather not do a clean reinstall of Windows as I am unable to backup my files. Any other suggestions?

SteveAinsworth, Mar 22, 2019
  3. hard drives

Hi Alex,

To answer your query about your computer's hard drive brand, you can follow the steps below:

• Right-click Windows Start, then choose Device Manager.
    • Expand the Disk drives section and it will show the brand and the model of the hard drive you have.

For further queries, feel free to post back.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Mar 22, 2019
  4. Brand new hard drive, unable to boot off of USB drive.

exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

Brand new hard drive, unable to boot off of USB drive.

1. Brand new hard drive, unable to boot off of USB drive. - Similar Threads - Brand hard drive

2. Unable to boot into Windows after insert a new Hard Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to boot into Windows after insert a new Hard Drive: Because of the problems occurring with my laptop I have to load windows 10 on a new ssd and then install it in my laptop. I have been through it with this computer and have been told by HP to throw it away. I can't bring myself to dump that much money, so if I do this, how do...
  3. Unable to eject usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to eject usb hard drive: When trying to eject usb mass storage device it is showing that it is in use by other applications. But after disconnected from internet hard drive easily can be ejected. Is there any web related serious issue ?like Ransomware or anything?I have quickheal antivirus...
  4. Unable to eject usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to eject usb hard drive: When trying to eject usb mass storage device it is showing that it is in use by other applications. But after disconnected from internet hard drive easily can be ejected. Is there any web related serious issue ?like Ransomware or anything?I have quickheal antivirus...
  5. Unable to eject usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Issues Installing windows 10 on a brand new hard drive from a usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issues Installing windows 10 on a brand new hard drive from a usb flash drive: I am currently trying to install windows 10 on a new hard drive with nothing on it from a flash drive. i get halfway through the first part and then i get an error code: 0x80070022 i have googled this error code and can't find anything on it. please help if you can...
  7. New hard drive, cannot boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New hard drive, cannot boot from USB: Recently I made a thread about not being able to boot my computer. I decided to buy a new hard drive in case that one was failing, but still have made no progress. The problem is that whenever I try to boot from the USB, the Windows logo flashes for a second then I'm stuck on...
  8. New hard drive, cannot boot from USB

in Windows 10 Support
    New hard drive, cannot boot from USB: Recently I made a thread about not being able to boot my computer. I decided to buy a new hard drive in case that one was failing, but still have made no progress. The problem is that whenever I try to boot from the USB, the Windows logo flashes for a second then I'm stuck on...
  9. Boot from usb hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from usb hard drive?: I have an external hard drive that I use for backups. Is it possible to install Windows to the drive and then use it as an alternative boot drive? 133574
  10. Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive: I have a boot hard drive failing. I wanted to re-install my Windows 10 and accounts software back on to a new disk. I want to know how I can back up what is on the failing disk so that I can re-install it on the new disk. The guidance in windows 10 is woeful and it has failed...