Windows 10: Brand new HDD hanging up, causing BSOD and Windows crashes

Discus and support Brand new HDD hanging up, causing BSOD and Windows crashes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys! So, I have been dealing with a lot of problems related to hard drives this last week. My main HDD died on me after 2 years or so, and I got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MJunioR, Mar 22, 2018.

1. MJunioR Win User

Brand new HDD hanging up, causing BSOD and Windows crashes

Hey guys!
    So, I have been dealing with a lot of problems related to hard drives this last week.
    My main HDD died on me after 2 years or so, and I got a brand new Seagate 1TB today and for my surprise the same problems appeared.
    The hard drive do an usual noise like an engine when it's running, but suddenly it stops for a brief moment and come back but this freeze the computer (Chrome stuck in Waiting for the Cache, Search UI crashing constantly), and then Critical Process Died BSOD message.

After looking a bit more, I saw in the in the Event Logs: ESENT 533

Of course, soon as I managed to install Windows I also installed CrystalDiskInfo and HDDSentinel - for both, everything is perfect and I don't see anything wrong, logs are clear. It also passed on SeaTools generic tests successfully.
    I really don't know now - did I just got unlucky and received a bad piece of HDD or there's more to it? Maybe my MOBO, maybe my PSU, don't know.
    I'm using a new SATA cable so this is minus an possibility, I guess.
    Any idea on what it might be?

:)

MJunioR, Mar 22, 2018

2. Windows has problems with hdd and it crashes and restarts randomly

Windows has problem addressing the HDD, my PC freezes up every 1-2 hrs and sometimes it just crashes (with BSOD or without it) unexpectedly when the HDD just locks up. I don't have any of these problems on any other OS except windows 10, 7. In the event
    viewer i can see this: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Oláh László Imre, Mar 22, 2018
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Why does my computer keep shutting down during some games but not all of them?

Are you getting any error messages , BSOD, TDR, or are crash dumps being generated ?

There are numerous possibilities. Just for starters...

- Games that have mods installed can crash seemingly at random.

- Games that stress the system more than others can cause the cpu or gpu to overheat and crash the system.

- An underpowered or failing power supply can also cause a shut down when playing games that stress

the system more than other games do.

- It could also be a RAM or HDD problem which only becomes apparent with certain games.

Testing the RAM and HDD would verify if they are having problems with errors or bad sectors, etc.

- What games , and which version, eg- Retail disk, Steam or other ?

- What are you system specifications, including brand and model graphics processor ?

What brand and Watts power supply ?

BossDweeb, Mar 22, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

If it's not the disk, and it's not the cable that means it might be the SATA port on the mobo (next in the chain). Try moving your SATA cable to a different SATA port instead (lowest numbered open port, preferably port 0, is always best if possible). Sorry for your trouble.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 22, 2018
  5. MJunioR Win User
    Hello Ed!

I just received a new PSU, so I ended exchanging it plus every cable (and port I was using) but the problem persists. I'm really out of ideas here, is it possible that somehow the motherboard / CPU is related to it?

MJunioR, Mar 22, 2018
  6. pepanee Win User
    First Impression Suggestions:

1) Try updating your motherboard's firmware (search for your motherboard's exact model and the word "firmware", or from your motherboard's website. You'll most likely need a USB stick to store that file onto, to connect to the computer when updating)

2) Does it still happen after the update? Verify that your motherboard got updated. When you can verify that, then go into your motherboard's settings, and try adjusting things in there. See if you can reset it to default factory settings. (Make a backup of the current settings first, if you have it already customized in a way [yet if so, there's a possibility that there's a custom setting that could be causing the issue]. But backup just in case.)

3) That's all I have for now.

pepanee, Mar 22, 2018
  7. MJunioR Win User
    Hello pepanee!

So, I did what you said and so far, so good. There was a BIOS update related to DRAM from ASUS, I updated it and was able to play, what, 5 minutes of a quite heavy game which before would make Windows crash during it's loading screen. I will download CAD and a few other softwares I use that requires a bit more of the machine to fully test it but again, so far, so good. I will start to sync my documents with the Cloud so I don't lose those if anything happens from now on, and since my mobo is pretty old I will see if I can get a replacement for it as soon as possible.

I won't mark solved yet as I wasn't able to fully verify if the problem is gone and in fact I saw quite a lot of stutter in the game I mentioned. Will give one day, if I don't have any problem by then I think the issue is gone for the time being.

MJunioR, Mar 22, 2018
  8. pepanee Win User

Oh definitely! You're welcome.

I'm glad that my suggestion sounds like it could have fixed the problem, yet you're right. Give it at least a few days, say 5 days, see how everything is, hopefully no more problems. Assuming it all works well for the next few weeks, then you can maybe consider buying a new motherboard. Since you said this one is kinda old, you don't wanna stress/overheat it too much maybe. You know, something to think about. But if it's all working well so far, that's good news! Yes, make backups of your files.

=)

pepanee, Mar 22, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    The motherboard was pretty much the only item left in the chain, so it had to have a role if not complete responsibility. I'm guessing there might have been an issue with the onboard disk controller that the firmware/BIOS upgrade could have addressed. Hopefully, you're past this problem now, so it would be best if it remained fixed!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 22, 2018
  10. MJunioR Win User
    Hey guys, so I'm back again.

Problem persists, now it's pretty variable though - it can happen after 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours. Depends a lot.

I did some searching to see suggestions and I will try to mess around with my mobo later. A friend of mine said that it may be a CPU fault of mismanagement of power, I really don't know at this point.

What I know though is that the HD is really getting disconnected and then reconnected, the logs are now showing the NFTS 140 event, described as:

MJunioR, Mar 24, 2018
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Ouch! Depending on your financial situation, if I were you I'd be thinking "new motherboard time is coming SOON!" Those kinds of failures can cause you to loose valuable data, not to mention downtime. Then, the real question becomes "replace motherboard only" or "replace mobo/cpu/ram and graphics processor?"
    Best of luck in getting this worked out.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 25, 2018
  12. MJunioR Win User
    Hey Ed! Thanks for everything, I agree, time for a new motherboard, not this week however, there's three-day holiday coming in my country and I think I will have to use this one until my next one comes hopefully next week.

Again, thanks a lot! Just a quick question, do you think it would be possible to be related to the CPU in anyway? I pretty much confirmed that there's some fault connector in my motherboard but the comment from a friend that also can't be caused by the CPU still is bugging me.

MJunioR, Mar 26, 2018
  13. Brand new HDD hanging up, causing BSOD and Windows crashes

Try Whocrashed from Resplendence.com and see if it gives any solution.The programme is free and safe.Might save the cost of a new mobo.

joeandmarg0, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Brand new HDD hanging up, causing BSOD and Windows crashes - Similar Threads - Brand HDD hanging

2. Windows 10 Version 20H2 causing system hangs not crashes or BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Version 20H2 causing system hangs not crashes or BSOD: Hi there, I have an odd issue with the 20H2 update for Windows 10. I installed yesterday and almost immediately started having issues as described below. Intermittently the system seems to hang. I can still move the cursor and I can still interact with apps and open the...
  3. BSODs on a brand new windows install

BSODs on a brand new windows install: Heyo, been helping with a computer for some time now. Last SSD crashed a week ago and we got another one but the computer has a unique set up for the SSD: the Bios is set to IDE (and I can see the hard drive is set to IDE in device manager) but the partition is GPT and it...
  4. Brand new computer crashing.

Brand new computer crashing.: Bought a brand new gaming desktop today for $1600, haven't even had it a total of 12 hours and it crashes randomly, doesn't even blue screen, It just black screens then reboots itself in about 5 seconds, not entirely sure what to do....
  5. Brand new computer crashing

Brand new computer crashing: ALLEGIANCE CALLISTO Desktop Computer Gaming PC · Processor: E5-1620 i7-3820 @ 4.2GHz · Graphics: RX 570 4GB - VR Ready · Memory: 32GB RAM · SSD: 480GB · Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Just got this computer...
  6. New laptop crashing and hanging up

New laptop crashing and hanging up: My new ASUS Vivobook 15 keeps hanging up and, briefly, crashing just a few days after purchase. When I ran a troubleshooter, it said there was a liver kernel event, error code 193, and that it was a hardware failure. I primarily use this computer to surf the internet and do...
  7. Wrong formatting of HDD's on GPT vols causes BIOS hang up at boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wrong formatting of HDD's on GPT vols causes BIOS hang up at boot: Hi there If you use the admin tools --> to format an HDD and it prompts you create simple volume I've found on boot BIOS hangs. I had to disconnect the drives and re-insert after windows had started to boot --then I could get in there and do Diskpart, clean, convert gpt,...
  8. Bsod/hangs/crashes, win7+win10, new build

Bsod/hangs/crashes, win7+win10, new build: Hello Tenforums, yesterday I finished building this PC on all new hardware aside from my videocard and PSU. Since then I’ve had a wide range of issues. I initially started on a Windows 7 installation where I was experiencing a wide range on issues. Freezes seemed to occur...
  9. Cannot format brand new HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot format brand new HDD: Purchased a WD 6TB Blue yesterday, ran disk management and created one partition using NTFS. Formatted and did its thing but it just displays the total size of the partition with RAW next to it. Tried reformatting again to NTFS but I get the error; "The format did not...
  10. BSOD on brand-new laptop

BSOD on brand-new laptop: Hi all, I have recently bought new laptop (Dell Vostro 5468). I did clean install of Windows 10 and installed additional harddrive. Today I have experienced a BSOD. I had many programs running when a blue screen appeared. I had a look at logs and what is bugging me is this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hdd randomly crashes bsod

2. brand new hdd and windows has faults

3. DllHost 5168 D 0 Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy_NOEDP_LEGACY_IDB: C:\Users\Lucya\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppData\Indexed DB\edb.log