Windows 10: Brand new laptop, no associated MS account yet. Bitlocker off but asking for recovery key????

Discus and support Brand new laptop, no associated MS account yet. Bitlocker off but asking for recovery key???? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; HI, I am setting up a new laptop for a friend. Lenove Thinkpad, WIN10 pro vers1909 Using Local admin acct, Installed some third party software, ran... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by StewartHall2, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Brand new laptop, no associated MS account yet. Bitlocker off but asking for recovery key????

HI,

I am setting up a new laptop for a friend. Lenove Thinkpad, WIN10 pro vers1909

Using Local admin acct, Installed some third party software, ran updates.

Changed name of computer.

Restart--now no login prompt.

Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work

Shift restart brings up troubleshoot- goto reset--need bitlocker recovery key.

My question---How do I get the key when there is no MS account associated with this computer???

:)

StewartHall2, Aug 11, 2020
  2. pj04 Win User

Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

Brand new laptop, no associated MS account yet. Bitlocker off but asking for recovery key???? [​IMG]

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

Brand new laptop, no associated MS account yet. Bitlocker off but asking for recovery key???? [​IMG]

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.

3. Bitlocker key ID does not match the Recovery Key given by MS for recovery

Bitlocker locked me out of my computer at start-up this morning. I went through the process of asking for a Recovery key through my MS account, but that key given me failed to unlock the computer. I notice that the Key ID associated with the Recovery
    Key from MS is different from what my BitLocker screen says it should be. Any ideas how to proceed? Thanks.

Ronald MacLurg, Aug 11, 2020
  4. Brand new laptop, no associated MS account yet. Bitlocker off but asking for recovery key????

bitlocker recovery key

Hi Shafeeq,

Please find my answers to your questions below:

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key? - Yes, I am unable to even start my laptop unless I enter the recovery key.
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer? Nope
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key? Yes. I have a microsoft account and am able to login usually. But i am unable to login when I try to find the bitlocker recovery key.
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional? Windows 10 Home

When I on my laptop, there is a blue screen that asks me for bitlocker recovery key. I have tried asking my laptop company (Lenovo) and my institution both but no one has any answer to this. I have my bitlocker recovery ID number if that can help me find
    the recovery key.

Waiting eagerly for a response.

Thanks, and regards,

Shweta

Singh Shweta Rajkumar, Aug 11, 2020
Thema:

Brand new laptop, no associated MS account yet. Bitlocker off but asking for recovery key????

1. Brand new laptop, no associated MS account yet. Bitlocker off but asking for recovery key???? - Similar Threads - Brand laptop associated

2. How to find account associated with a Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find account associated with a Bitlocker Recovery Key: My daughter's very old ThinkPad died likely a motherboard issue, and so I bought her a new one. The old PC won't start at all, so I removed the NVMe drive and popped it into an enclosure so that we could recover her files.Unfortunately, it is asking for a Microsoft Bitlocker...
  3. How to find account associated with a Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to find account associated with a Bitlocker Recovery Key: My daughter's very old ThinkPad died likely a motherboard issue, and so I bought her a new one. The old PC won't start at all, so I removed the NVMe drive and popped it into an enclosure so that we could recover her files.Unfortunately, it is asking for a Microsoft Bitlocker...
  4. How to find account associated with a Bitlocker Recovery Key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Bitlocker Recovery associated account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker Recovery associated account: Hi. Trying to solve Bitlocker Recovery Key problem caused by KB5012170I did not enable Bitlocker, but this update has caused this issueI cannot remember , what account I used to setup the computer.On the Screen , it is giving me a Recovery ID KeyAnd a Drive LabelMy assumption...
  6. Bitlocker Recovery associated account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Recovery associated account: Hi. Trying to solve Bitlocker Recovery Key problem caused by KB5012170I did not enable Bitlocker, but this update has caused this issueI cannot remember , what account I used to setup the computer.On the Screen , it is giving me a Recovery ID KeyAnd a Drive LabelMy assumption...
  7. Bitlocker Recovery associated account

8. Bitlocker asks for a recovery key, but it haven't provided me with one yet

Bitlocker asks for a recovery key, but it haven't provided me with one yet: I had a Bitlocker encrypted system partition Windows 10. I needed more space on it and I had some spare space at the end of the disk. So, I decrypted the partition, extended it, and enabled Bitlocker again. Bitlocker asked for a PIN, I entered it. Before the actual encryption...
  9. Bitlocker asks for a recovery key, but it haven't provided me with one yet

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker asks for a recovery key, but it haven't provided me with one yet: I had a Bitlocker encrypted system partition Windows 10. I needed more space on it and I had some spare space at the end of the disk. So, I decrypted the partition, extended it, and enabled Bitlocker again. Bitlocker asked for a PIN, I entered it. Before the actual encryption...
  10. Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: My laptop has recently been stuck in a boot-loop where it keeps booting to the blue recovery menu probably because Windows is corrupted. I am unable to reset the computer as the drive is encrypted with bitlocker and I need a BitLocker Recovery Key. The problem is that I...