Windows 10: Brand new laptop slower than old one

Discus and support Brand new laptop slower than old one in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Two weeks ago I bought a Lenovo ideapad 320. The specs are in the "System Two" tab of the 'My Computers' info below. The problem is everything runs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cbiweb, Nov 6, 2017.

1. cbiweb Win User

Brand new laptop slower than old one

Two weeks ago I bought a Lenovo ideapad 320. The specs are in the "System Two" tab of the 'My Computers' info below.

The problem is everything runs much slower than my older laptop ("System One" below). The worst issue is that Chrome takes 13 seconds to launch a completely blank window, and another 20 full seconds for the the window to render the toolbars, tabs, etc. So, 33 seconds to launch a browser to its usable state.

Other browsers, my email client, and other apps/programs also take much longer to start up than they did on the old machine; and that machine was laden with much more stuff (web development software, music production software, etc.)

Did I buy a dud, or is it simply built with less powerful components?

btw... switching to an SSD is not an option for me at this time.

:)

cbiweb, Nov 6, 2017
  2. DonAmerex Win User

Brand NEW Laptop slower than molasses

Oh, that's a good answer!

Not!

DonAmerex, Nov 6, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Brand NEW Laptop slower than molasses

Third possibility: You might have done something wrong?

BulldogXX, Nov 6, 2017
  4. clam1952 Win User

clam1952, Nov 6, 2017
  5. MrHudson Win User
    Same here with this HP 15, its even slower on restarting after updates. My older Acer Aspire 5515 I installed a System Builders Service Pack DVD of Win7 is faster than this one. graphics went out on it.

MrHudson, Nov 6, 2017
  6. cbiweb Win User
    Thanks for the informative link. *Smile

I was under the impression that RAM has more to do with how many applications can run at once, not so much speed. That being said, for some reason I thought the Lenovo had 8MB of RAM... disappointed to find it has only 6.

cbiweb, Nov 6, 2017
  7. clam1952 Win User
    Not forgetting the Intel graphics will also be using some of that ram, if say it's using 2GB that only leaves 4GB for the OS and whatever programs you are running on it, more ram means less swapping to disk and should be a bit faster.

Just thought it could be 8 with 2 being used by the shared graphics, what's it saying in My PC Properties and task manager under memory?

clam1952, Nov 6, 2017
  8. cbiweb Win User

With only two windows open (task manager and browser):

Brand new laptop slower than old one [​IMG]

cbiweb, Nov 6, 2017
  9. clam1952 Win User
    That looks to me to be the 6Gb, 125MB hardware reserved is probably mostly the graphics.

What seems odd is that the specs for your model all state 8GB ram so where did the 2GB go or have you been ripped off?

clam1952, Nov 6, 2017
  10. cbiweb Win User
    This is what I'm wondering. Time for a trip back to Staples...

cbiweb, Nov 6, 2017
  11. Yes, return that puppy to Staples.

I find it useful to look at the PassMark rating of the CPU to get a first-pass estimate of speed. (Just google on "passmark". They list every CPU you'll ever find.)

What CPU is in this new laptop? And the old laptop?

Also, side note ...
    Cheap is slow. Cheap is unreliable. So don't buy cheap.

margrave55, Nov 9, 2017
  12. Helmut Win User
    That's too much memory usage for what you have open. On mine now (Browser, Task Manager, Notepad) about 2.4 GB of 8 GB.

I would suspect you have not gone thru Windows 10 settings, a lot needs changing otherwise a load of useless stuff runs in the background does downloads that you never use.
    Also stop Live Tiles on the Start screen you don't want, you have to do each individually by right clicking.
    It's around 100 changes need to be made, maybe 20 on one page, so it does not take that long.

Shared memory for iGPU is a non issue with Windows as it uses very little. The 2GB would only be potentially used for Games essentially.

I would get rid of 2 Web Browsers, 5 is far too many.

In the Task Manager Processes Tab sort the memory usage column, then investigate those using a lot of RAM and configure them better.

I would also check for Malware.

Check you have not installed any so-called 'cleaner application' that deletes Prefetch data.

Go to the Power options, minimise the power saving features, go for performance.

It is not a dud, just that you have apparently not done any configuration of Windows and Applications.

Helmut, Nov 9, 2017
  13. cbiweb Win User

I would suspect you suspect too easily. *Wink

Did that very early on, as I always do with a new Win10 machine.

I'm... not running 5 browsers?
    Of the ones I do have I don't usually run more than one at a time. And none of them are loaded with lots of extensions or other extra baggage.

It's a brand new machine, and I haven't been bitten by such stuff since the one time I let one in back in 2002. Seriously, I never get infected with anything at all; that's how well I protect my tech.

No need to check because I know I didn't do so.

Another thing I do very early on after setting up a new machine.

Apparently I've done quite a bit (and more than what's been mentioned in this post). In any case, I've never had a new machine act like this right out of the box, so something's more amiss than "any" configuration I may not have yet done.

cbiweb, Nov 10, 2017
  14. cbiweb Win User
    It's all there in my specs ("My Computers" in the lower left of this post).

Easy to say when you're not eating peanut butter two meals a day....

cbiweb, Nov 10, 2017
  15. Gordon7 Win User
    @chiweb - and if clam1952 had actually read your PC spec's he would have noticed that your new laptop have 6 GB Ram not 8 -
    so there is nothing wrong in that apartment.

But still your RAM usage is to high for some reason. I see that the 6 GB is using both of your 2 RAM slots, that must
    be a 4 GB in one, and 2 GB in the other!? (Sad they did not use two 4 GB sticks).

You have only 10 days to roll back to your previous system, from the day you get 1709 (FCU).

Gordon7, Nov 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Brand new laptop slower than old one - Similar Threads - Brand laptop slower

2. One user account slower than others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One user account slower than others: Hi.I have multiple user accounts on my windows and only one is being slow and from time to time unresponsive. The Start menu sometimes doesn't pop up and there are other strange things happening but again, only on one user account, the other accounts are good. Any ideas why...
  3. One user account slower than others

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One user account slower than others: Hi.I have multiple user accounts on my windows and only one is being slow and from time to time unresponsive. The Start menu sometimes doesn't pop up and there are other strange things happening but again, only on one user account, the other accounts are good. Any ideas why...
  4. Brand new laptop, but its going slower than my 7 yr old one.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brand new laptop, but its going slower than my 7 yr old one.: I just bought an acer with windows 10 and I took it out of s mode mostly because I have no interest in using the new internet explorer and I dont need to be babysat by my laptop. But now it's going so slow and barely working. O literally got it yesterday and now it's acting...
  5. This Laptop is Slower Than me, & I am Really Old

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    This Laptop is Slower Than me, & I am Really Old: I purchased a Lenovo Flex 5-1570 Processor is i5-1700u and 8 Gb RAM for my spouse and general house use a couple of years ago. I set it up and have hardly used it since --until today. This is the slowest device I have used since Windows 95. It starts slow and stays slow....
  6. New Desktop, running slower then 10 year old laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New Desktop, running slower then 10 year old laptop: I have a year old PC that was running amazing, up until about a week ago when I started getting a ton of BSOD... I think I have overall resolved that issue, BUT the computer is running very slowly now. For instance from the windows login screen, entering PIN to loading into...
  7. Lenovo laptop slower than before

Lenovo laptop slower than before: Hello My problem is that i bought this Lenovo IdeaPad 330 laptop, it was running very smoothly and was very fast for maybe 2-4months, i could play league with 180 fps with high settings, now when i turn off vertical sync, my screen is tearing and fps is just constatly...
  8. Backup Old Computer to Brand New One.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Old Computer to Brand New One.: HP Slimline Desktop 410-010 (Energy Star.) Operating System was Windows Home 10 v. 1809 It was fully loaded with Software. Windows 10 1809 64 I had a spare computer which I'm using now. hp pavilion Desk Top P7-1410, its working pretty well. Operating system is Windows 8.1...
  9. BSOD errors one brand new computer - one week old

BSOD errors one brand new computer - one week old: I have a brand new ASUS computer windows 10 and have Malwarebtyes premium and AVG Internet Security on it. When I tried to first install AVG it did not work. So, I ran the first week with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender on. No problems. I then got AVG cleaner,...
  10. User accounts slower than one other

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    User accounts slower than one other: When I downloaded Microsoft 10, I went back on my account and after a couple of minutes the whole thing worked fine, and I didn't see any problems. But, when another family member went on their account, it was MUCH slower than mine, and they couldn't access things that I...