Windows 10: Brand new WD Blue SN550 designated a Generic disk

Discus and support Brand new WD Blue SN550 designated a Generic disk in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I bought a bigger nvme ssd drive to upgrade my storage capacity and plan to put the original aside as the back-up. I used Macrium Reflect to clone my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Mal Capone, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Brand new WD Blue SN550 designated a Generic disk

I bought a bigger nvme ssd drive to upgrade my storage capacity and plan to put the original aside as the back-up.

I used Macrium Reflect to clone my existing drive to the new one using an external nvme enclosure for the new one. The clone completed without issue, but one thing I noticed was that Macrium Reflect designated the new drive as a generic disk. I have since found that both Windows 10 and the Western Digital Dashboard say the same thing - Generic disk.

I am hoping that the external nvme enclosure (Mokin brand) is the problem and once the disk is swapped into the laptop it will be recognised. I am worried though that the disk itself may have a fault and swapping it into my computer could cause some issues.

Any ideas or opinions are appreciated.

Cheers

:)

Mal Capone, Mar 25, 2021
  2. cdawall Win User

WD Purple or Blue?

Agreed one of the most common failed drives I get into the shop are failed WD Blues or any of the 500GB slim 2.5" drives. Brand doesn't matter on those.

cdawall, Mar 25, 2021
  3. Frick Win User
    WD Purple or Blue?

I assume these are new blues, the ones I have are good. Pretty speedy and low noise.

Frick, Mar 25, 2021
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Brand new WD Blue SN550 designated a Generic disk

WD Purple or Blue?

My suggestion, avoid the Blues at all costs. I wouldn't trust my data on a WD Blue if WD was paying me to use it.

newtekie1, Mar 25, 2021
Thema:

Brand new WD Blue SN550 designated a Generic disk

1. Brand new WD Blue SN550 designated a Generic disk - Similar Threads - Brand Blue SN550

2. Brand new laptop blue screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Brand new laptop blue screen: Hello my brand new Asus Laptop just crashed with a blue screen of death. I've noticed some flickering in the screen aswell. ThanksLog:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XHaoYr8S96rflA6PF8GmelGQEm7mrl_P/view?usp=sharing...
  3. Brand new laptop blue screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Brand new laptop blue screen: Hello my brand new Asus Laptop just crashed with a blue screen of death. I've noticed some flickering in the screen aswell. ThanksLog:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XHaoYr8S96rflA6PF8GmelGQEm7mrl_P/view?usp=sharing...
  4. brand new pc with 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    brand new pc with 100% disk usage: hey i got this new brand new laptop "i5 10th gen 8gb 1tb hdd " but it has 100% disk usage i thought it was because of the windows update thing but the problem is still there even though i have no app opened and no update running in the backgroundand one thing that i think it...
  5. brand new pc with 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    brand new pc with 100% disk usage: hey i got this new brand new laptop "i5 10th gen 8gb 1tb hdd " but it has 100% disk usage i thought it was because of the windows update thing but the problem is still there even though i have no app opened and no update running in the backgroundand one thing that i think it...
  6. brand new pc with 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    brand new pc with 100% disk usage: hey i got this new brand new laptop "i5 10th gen 8gb 1tb hdd " but it has 100% disk usage i thought it was because of the windows update thing but the problem is still there even though i have no app opened and one thing that i think it was the thing that caused it i bought...
  7. Blue screen of death on brand new laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen of death on brand new laptop: Hi, ive twice had a blue screen of death on my new laptop. it is brand new, fully updated all windows and drivers, this should not happen on a new laptop. dumps can be seeen here https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtrMTTanB2AukXYBtd3LWFAGsHm0?e=5dnmfU this is frustrating that...
  8. Windows 10 crashing on installing new WD Blu SN550 NVM SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 crashing on installing new WD Blu SN550 NVM SSD: I recently bought WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD1 TBhttps://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sn550-nvme-ssd#WDS250G2B0C and installed into my laptopMSI GV72 7RD-833UK. The installation was successful and the laptop works fine. I used Macrium software to...
  9. Lenovo Flex 5 - problems with WD Blue SN550 nvme

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lenovo Flex 5 - problems with WD Blue SN550 nvme: I just purchased a new SSD Western Digital blue SN550 nvme 500gb storage. Was able to install windows 10 from a USB bootable but first time it boots it runs the winload.efi 0xc0000225. Trying to fixboot, disable secure boot, uefi to Legacy but always same result. Not even...
  10. WD MyCloud shows up with generic icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WD MyCloud shows up with generic icons: I have a 3TB WD MyCloud NAS that is not showing up with right icons in file explorer. The NAS shows up under "Computers" and "Storage devices" and I have acces to the NAS, so everything is working fine. I have created desktop shortcuts by right-clicking on these icons. The...