Windows 10: Breaking disk mirror, which disk will keep the original drive letter?

Discus and support Breaking disk mirror, which disk will keep the original drive letter? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I select "break mirror" on a mirrored disk in disk manager, will that disk get a new drive letter assigned, or will it keep the original drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Engztrom, May 9, 2017.

1. Engztrom Win User

Breaking disk mirror, which disk will keep the original drive letter?

If I select "break mirror" on a mirrored disk in disk manager, will that disk get a new drive letter assigned, or will it keep the original drive letter?
    (I want disk#1 to keep the original "D:" as drive letter, and assign a new drive letter to disk#2, e.g. "E:").

:)

Engztrom, May 9, 2017
  2. Engztrom Win User

Breaking mirror: which disk will keep the original drive letter?

I run Windows 10 Pro, with Disk#1 and Disk#2 setup as mirrors (as "D:"), but now I want to break the mirror and let Disk#1 keep "D:" as drive letter, and assign a new drive letter to Disk#2 (e.g. "E:").

Which disk should I right-click on and select "break mirror" to achieve that, is it Disk#1, or Disk#2?

Engztrom, May 9, 2017
  3. Engztrom Win User
    Breaking mirror: which disk will keep the original drive letter?

Thanks, I will try that as soon as I have time...

I assume disk#1 is the original (whose data I see in explorer) and disk#2 is the mirror (whose data is normally hidden), so any data loss when breaking the mirror would most likely occur on disk#2, right?

The reason for that assumption (apart from being the logical order) is that when Windows recently made a resync after a powerfail it copied everything from disk#1 to disk#2 (checked that with task manager), which took a staggering 11 days of continous run to
    complete!

Engztrom, May 9, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

If you are talking about a a RAID 1 Mirror, then the original drive will keep it's Drive letter. and keep the data. The data on the mirrored drive will be lost and have no drive letter.
    Anytime you want to change a Drive letter, go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc, Right click the diskmgmt results and Run As Administrator. In the lower pane, Right click the drive you want to change the drive letter of and choose Change Drive Letter or Paths. Choose a drive letter not being used.

spunk, May 9, 2017
  5. Engztrom Win User
    It is Windows disk mirroring (in software) on 2 dynamic disks. Not sure if that is the same as RAID1...

You mean it doesn't matter which disk I select for "break mirror", will disk#1 still keep the drive letter "D:" and disk#2 get a new drive letter assigned?

I came to the conlusion that disk#1 is the original and disk#2 is the mirror, because when Windows recently made a resync after a powerfail (which took a staggering 11 days to complete = not acceptable!) it copied everything from disk#1 to disk#2 (checked that in the task manager).
    So my goal here is to make sure that drive#1 will end up as "D:" when I break the mirror, because that is the disk I will continue to use, and it seems safer to go with the original than the mirror (especially after that resync issue...)

Engztrom, May 9, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    You can reasign the drive letter at any time so no problem

Samuria, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Breaking disk mirror, which disk will keep the original drive letter? - Similar Threads - Breaking disk mirror

2. External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...: Hi everyone,I'm facing an ongoing issue with my external SSD, as it consistently skips drive letter E and defaults to drive letter F every time I connect it to my computer. Despite attempting to fix it through Disk Management and changing the drive letter back to E, it only...
  3. External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...: Hi everyone,I'm facing an ongoing issue with my external SSD, as it consistently skips drive letter E and defaults to drive letter F every time I connect it to my computer. Despite attempting to fix it through Disk Management and changing the drive letter back to E, it only...
  4. Cannot create mirrored disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot create mirrored disks: I need to mirror two 2TB drives, including the C: drive with Windows. Neither Disk Management nor Storage Places provide any solutions. In Disk Management, right clicking Disk 1 shows most options grayed out, including New Spanned Volume..., New Striped Volume... and no...
  5. Disk Mirror - Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Mirror - Backup: I have a question I want to mirror the primary C: drive using another internal SSD using the disk management tool. I want to have an exact mirror Is this recommended or should I image or clone the drive using an external HDD. Second question is the mirror two way or one way?...
  6. Disk drive letters in Widows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk drive letters in Widows 10: Hi all, Have been having a problem with an external USB drive. Each time I plug in the drive it doesn't show and I have to assign it a drive letter in disk management. While this is a bit of a pain, the drive will work from this point forward. I've noticed that when I...
  7. random disk mirror fail?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    random disk mirror fail?: hi, ive had two hdds mirrored for about a year. yesterday i was doing something and randomly right clicked on the start button. ive use win10 since it was released and i just realized that gives you options to open all kinds somewhat hidden menus like the disk management...
  8. Windows10 Disk Mirroring Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows10 Disk Mirroring Issue: Dear Team Greetings from Hilton Luxor environment!!! Can you please help me for the below error message as I am trying to configure Windows10 PC to a mirror disk. The selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which is not of type PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID and is...
  9. Can't edit drive letter in disk manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't edit drive letter in disk manager: I have a recovery partition on my laptop which is currently assigned drive letter E: I am continually getting notifications that the drive is full. The notifications are getting super annoying. I was going to unassign the drive letter so that I don't get the notifications....
  10. origin no disk error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    origin no disk error: Does anyone use Origin? Tonight got an update to the client and now getting a no disk error relating to having a card reader installed on my system. Workarounds are unplug the reader (not an option as mine is internal) or keeping an sd card plugged into it so it's 'live'....