Windows 10: Bricked my Surface Pro?

Discus and support Bricked my Surface Pro? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have a Surface Pro 7. I decided to change my PIN as I forgot both my PIN and my Password. I always use Windows Hello but for some reason it... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by SurfaceBookPRo7x, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Bricked my Surface Pro?

I have a Surface Pro 7.

I decided to change my PIN as I forgot both my PIN and my Password. I always use Windows Hello but for some reason it doesn't work sometimes and requires a PIN.

Anyway, I changed my PIN successfully, and restarted my device.

Now, I now cannot log in at all.

When I try and use Windows Hello, it says I need to set up a PIN "Something happened and your PIN isn't available".

I have three sign in options:

- Password I cannot remember my password,

- PIN which I cannot reset due to above message

- Windows Hello which says I need a PIN.

Is my device now effectively bricked?

Is there any way to log back in?

:)

SurfaceBookPRo7x, Jun 17, 2020
  2. YOU
    You Win User

Advice required - Post Upgrade - Suspect Pro 2 is Bricked

Before try that, have tried resetting the UEFI options?

To reset the Surface Pro to the default UEFI settings, follow these steps:

• Press the Power button and the Volume Up button at same time while are starting the Surface Pro device.
    • Set Trusted Platform Module (TPM) to enabled.
    • Set Secure Boot Control to enabled.
    • Press Install Default Secure Boot keys.
    • Press Exit setup, and then save the changes.

3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    Surface Pro 3

Hi ChrisWaters3,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Does the battery drain out, if the tablet is not connected to peripherals?

2. Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)

I understand how something like this can try your patience. This issue is an indication of faulty drivers or incompatible driver.
    However, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Check the drivers.

Step1: Battery driver

1. Press Windows andR
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    3. Click on view on top > Select Show hidden devices.
    4. Expand the Batteries option from the list.
    5. Select the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery> right click on the driver and click on
      Properties.
    6. Click on Driver tab > check if you have the option to
      Roll Back Driver.
    7. If yes, Roll back the driver or uninstall it and restart the computer.
    Uninstalling the driver will be automatically installed after the system is restarted. Check if the issue is fixed.

Step 2: Keyboard driver.

1. In the Device manager, go to ‘Other devices’, you will find
      Unknown devices.
    2. Double tap on the unknown device > click on
      Driver tab> click on update driver.
    3. Select browse my computer for driver software> Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers
    4. Select keyboard, then click ‘Next.
    5. Select HID Keyboard device and click finish.

Method 2: Run the toolkit.

Note: If your Surface is managed by your work or school, check with your organization's IT department before running the tool.

I would suggest you to run the toolkit provided by Microsoft on
    Fix common Surface
    problems using the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

If the above steps, doesn’t fix the issue. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Surface Pro 3 Battery
    FAQ for the Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Bricked my Surface Pro?

Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Bricked my Surface Pro?

1. Bricked my Surface Pro? - Similar Threads - Bricked Surface Pro

2. Logging in to my surface pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Logging in to my surface pro: try to log in to my surface pro, says wrong passwordreset the password - then logged in on my phonesurface pro still says password wrong https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/logging-in-to-my-surface-pro/51235dca-20ac-4470-9066-31a406aa7c40
  3. Logging in to my surface pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Logging in to my surface pro: try to log in to my surface pro, says wrong passwordreset the password - then logged in on my phonesurface pro still says password wrong https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/logging-in-to-my-surface-pro/51235dca-20ac-4470-9066-31a406aa7c40
  4. Surface Laptop 2 bricked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Laptop 2 bricked: Background info:Hardware: Surface Laptop 2 8GB RAM Intel I5 modelSoftware: Windows 11 Pro Windows insider preview channelProblem:After shutting down my SL2 no new software installed and going to sleep, I wake up the next morning to turn on my SL2.Expected result:Boots into...
  5. Surface Laptop 2 bricked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Laptop 2 bricked: Background info:Hardware: Surface Laptop 2 8GB RAM Intel I5 modelSoftware: Windows 11 Pro Windows insider preview channelProblem:After shutting down my SL2 no new software installed and going to sleep, I wake up the next morning to turn on my SL2.Expected result:Boots into...
  6. Sept. 2020 Firmware Update Bricked Surface Pro 5

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sept. 2020 Firmware Update Bricked Surface Pro 5: My daughter updated her Surface Pro 5 with the September 2020 update and now it won't boot or even reset. What happens is the power button activates the Windows logo white on all black screen for 2 seconds and then nothing. No holding power buttons or volume button combos...
  7. Latest update bricked my surface pro 3 and deleted the os partition

Latest update bricked my surface pro 3 and deleted the os partition: The latest update bricked my entire surface pro 3 into nothing but a bootloop when it finally did load up it told me that my partition was missing and the only options they gave me where to troubleshoot or shutdown the PC now tried everything even a system recovery USB disk...
  8. Windows 10 update bricked my Windows Surface Go tablet.

Windows 10 update bricked my Windows Surface Go tablet.: I have had my Surface Go tablet for less than a year. In fact, I ordered it from Amazon on Mar. 20th of 2019 from a third party seller. Came in perfect condition with original packaging, I used it for work and recreational use for months. Bought keyboard and pen accessories....
  9. Please help! My surface go has become a brick.

in Windows 10 Support
    Please help! My surface go has become a brick.: Hello all! I was trying to decrypt my bit-locked C drive but the process went wrong. Now I cannot log into my windows. Worse still, the Windows installation media does not work either - my computer can be booted into the USB drive but it is stuck on a blank blue screen. My...
  10. Windows 10 1903 Bricked my Surface Book

Windows 10 1903 Bricked my Surface Book: Was happily running Windows 10 and decided to upgrade to 1903. After Windows 10 1903 update and subsequent PC reset, the system failed to boot properly. Tried to use Recovery from the cloud (Failed) using my recovery key and then Advanced Options to Go Back to previous...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface bricked