Windows 10: Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

Discus and support Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks I created a working bridge to a physical NIC as per : [[email protected] hrafn]# ifconfig enp2s0f1 0.0.0.0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Dec 30, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

Hi folks

I created a working bridge to a physical NIC as per :

[[email protected] hrafn]# ifconfig enp2s0f1 0.0.0.0
    [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addbr br0
    [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addif br0 enp2s0f1 <==== one of my NIC physical interfaces -
    [[email protected] hrafn]# dhclient br0 <==== activates OK

The NIC in the VM simply uses br0 as shared device name br0 device model virtio -- works fine

however the br0 is lost again at re-boot so I have to type the above networking commands in each time

anybody know how to make this persistent

Host is Linux using KVM VM is Windows latest build from uupdump -working perfectly fine

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 30, 2019
  2. da_667 Win User

Hyper-V vswitches and linux AFPACKET bridging

Hello!

I seem to be having a problem with hyper-v client. I'm running windows 10 x64, and installed hyper-v on my system. So far, it's a great hypervisor, and the features are just fantastic. I really wish MS was advertise this as a feature, because it's pretty
    awesome.

Anyhoo, here's my problem:

I'm a malware analyst and I have the following network setup in hyper-v:

1 vswitch bridged to my workstation's physical network card. We'll call this vswitch1

3 private vswitches. We'll call these vswitch2, 3, and 4, respectively.

I have a PFsense VM connected to vswitch 1, 2, and 3. PFSense works fine and routes/firewalls properly between all the networks.

I have another VM, a debian 8 x64 linux VM. This VM is connected to vswitch 2 for management access, and connected to vswitch 3 and 4 to act as a bridge.

Why am I doing this? I plan on having malware analysis vms on vswitch 4. the debian VM acts as "fail-close"/failsafe in that if the malware does things I don't expect, I can power down the VM and remove its network access while leaving the PFSense VM that
    is routing and firewalling for my other VM networks alone.

I've done this before and I have gotten this to work on virtualbox, vmware workstation, vmware fusion, and vmware ESX with zero problems.

I configure the interfaces that my IPS software will be sniffing on (in this case, assume I'm using the snort IPS):

- I turn off any and all checksumming and/or checksum offloading for the interfaces

- I put the interfaces into promiscuous mode

- I activate snort and configure it to bridge between my two network interfaces (eth1 and eth2, respectively) using AFPACKET.

I spin up a malware analysis VM and put it on vswitch 4 and... it can't reach anything at all. running TCPDUMP shows that broadcast traffic makes it to my IPS/failsafe VM, crosses the bridge, then my pfsense VM, connected to vswitch 3 never sees it. It doesn't
    respond to ARP, it doesn't respond to DHCP.

So I gave my analysis vm a static IP address, a default route, its dns servers, and statically configured arp so that the VM would know the mac address of the PFSense VM (its default gateway) and... nothing worked still. It's almost as though vswitch 3 is
    dropping the traffic somehow.

Now, when I do this in vmware ESX, I have to configure any vswitches that I'm bridging between to allow promiscuous mode for this to actually work. Knowing this, I did the following:

On my PFsense VM, I configured the interface on vswitch 3 to be a port mirroring SOURCE

On the IPS VM running debian, I configured the NIC connected to vswitch 3 to be a DESTINATION

On my malware analysis vm on vswitch 4, I configured it to be a port mirroring SOURCE

On the IPS VM running deibain, I configured the NIC connected to vswitch 4 to be a DESTINATION

and still, it doesn't work, and I can't fathom why.

So let's recap:

- I'm trying to bridge to hyper-v vswitches together with a LINUX vm using AFPACKET bridging.

- I'm not asking for linux or IDS/IPS technical support. I've done this a number of time on other baremetal and hosted hypervisors and got it to work.

- Just so we're abundantly clear, I have checksum offloading turned off completely on the linux VM interfaces, and snort is operating with the "-k none" flag to NOT mess with network traffic checksums. Still no dice.

- I've turned on promiscuous mode on the linux vm's network interfaces, activate the bridge, and can see broadcast messages (DHCP requests and ARP requests) go across the AFPACKET bridge, but then something is preventing the VM on the other side from getting
    the traffic. the fact that I can see the broadcast traffic on either side of the AFPACKET bridge leads me to believe that this isn't a linux problem, it's a problem with hyper-v, or the vswitch, or something.

Help MS Community, you're my only hope.

da_667, Dec 30, 2019
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Vmware / VBOX Linux guests anyone got bridged networking

Hi folks

on WINDOWS 10 Hosts - current 1903 or later builds has anyone got a Linux VM with any kernel > 4.15 to run in Bridged mode with either VBOX or VMWARE.

NAT works fine but I need Bridged as these VM's need to be acessible from the whole network
    Pity it's Bridged that's broken and not NAT.

I've tested SUSE-LEAP, UBUNTU, FEDORA, DEBIAN and they all don't work with bridged networking.

VMWare 15.1.0 or VBOX 6.0 neither work Grrrrh !!!!!!

looks like I'll have to abandon Windows Hosts !!!!!

Anybody got Bridged networking on these VM's using VBOX/VMWare stuff.

Update -- seems it's broken on the editions of W10 Workstation edition -- reverted back to "Bog standard" W10 Pro and its working properly.

Marking as solved.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 30, 2019
  4. Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

Can I share a network connection from a VM to the host OS?

hmm, i will assumer no responces = no, i cannot share it... lucky me, i finally got it to work in 7 with steps pretty close... Program Files > Pantech is where you will need to point windows to inorder to the card running in 7... though it would be nice to be able to share hardware and network connections from a VM to the host PC...

beyond_amusia, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

1. Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host - Similar Threads - Bridged networking linux

2. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  3. Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge: Hi folks For those running Windows VM's on Linux Hosts and want to try the Linux Hypervisor (VMWare and VBOX will run concurrently so you don't even need to power off any running Windows VM's) with decent networking you need to set up a network Bridge (roughly analogous to...
  4. RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's)

RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's): Hi folks for those using RAID 0 especially on devices with unequal sizes you won't be able to access your array after kernel 5.3.3 (whether as host or in a VM) This applies whatever the Windows Host virtualisation you are using - whether VBOX / VMWare or HYPER-V. Also...
  5. Improve Windows I/O in a VM - from Windows OR Linux Hosts

Improve Windows I/O in a VM - from Windows OR Linux Hosts: Hi there I/O performance is often a problem with Virtual Machines - especially if you are using programs like Vmware with "Virtual" Formatted HDD's such as vdmk - especially with "Bog standard" Spinners.. A better solution by far is if you have the space and 2 HDD's...
  6. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  7. vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar

vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar: Hi there W10 X-64 pro (build 10547) and vmware workstation rel 12 - in full screen mode can't launch apps from taskbar. Works fine in Windowed mode This happens on LINUX Hosts - (Opensuse, Centos and Mint) Cheers jimbo 23751
  8. vmware release 12.5.0 fails on Bridged networking from Wifi host

vmware release 12.5.0 fails on Bridged networking from Wifi host: Hi there not a big problem but if my HOST has a wifi connection to the internet then a VM (or at least Networking) )doesn't work when enabling BRIDGED networking (NAT works OK but I need Bridged !!)) If I connect the host to my internet via Ethernet or to a...
  9. Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host

Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host: What network adapter settings mean vms can communicate with each other but not with host? Thanks Vmware Workstation 10 69475
  10. VM networking NAT cannot connect to Bridged networking PC's

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VM networking NAT cannot connect to Bridged networking PC's: Hi there. one W10 VM is connected to LAN via NAT, other 4 via Bridged -- to SAME LAN. the NAT networked computer can see the others but can't access shared files. Changing to Bridged -- works OK. Was trying NAT as Bridged uses individual number of IP addresses -...