Windows 10: Briefcase symbol on almost all OneDrive file icons, open with broken

Discus and support Briefcase symbol on almost all OneDrive file icons, open with broken in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On a Windows 10 21H1 computer I have a corporate installation with OneDrive set up to sync with the cloud. In the local OneDrive folder, almost all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimhoyle, Aug 16, 2021.

1. jimhoyle Win User

Briefcase symbol on almost all OneDrive file icons, open with broken

On a Windows 10 21H1 computer I have a corporate installation with OneDrive set up to sync with the cloud. In the local OneDrive folder, almost all files have a brown briefcase icon, which means the file is a Work file under Windows Information Protection. This is causing problems. "Open with" is broken. No matter the file type is defined, "open with" will not remember the choice the next time. So every time a "Work" file is opened it asks what program to open with, defaulting to some unwanted program. There is also an extra 5-second delay before the open with window appears. Such file's File ownership is my employer's company. It is possible to copy such file to a normal folder and then right-click, File ownership, Personal. That converts the file to a completely normal file without problems (but converts back to Work if copied under the OneDrive folder). The strange thing is this briefcase file status only happens on one of my computers. Other computers have the same exact thing (files under synced OneDrive folder) without the briefcase. The non-problematic computers have an older version of Windows 10 so one suspicion is that this problem could be specific to 21H1. Does anyone know what causes this briefcase problem? How to disable that or fix the "open with" problem permanently ("Choose default apps by file type" is completely ignored)?

:)

jimhoyle, Aug 16, 2021

2. synch Briefcase files

Hi,

Briefcase is a special folder in the Windows operating system that supports a simple file synchronization between itself and another folder. However, this is no longer available in Windows 10. You can consider using alternative options such as using OneDrive.
    Just store anything on your OneDrive folder and it's automatically available on your other devices that are synchronized to your OneDrive account.

Regarding your concern about Windows briefcase, we need additional details so that we can provide the next steps you can take to resolve the issue. Kindly provide the answers to the questions below:

• How did you enable the briefcase option in your Windows 10 computer?
    • How do you usually access the briefcase folder in your computer?
    • Which version and build of Windows 10 do you have installed.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Aug 16, 2021
  3. windows 10 Briefcase slow to open

This assumes that you have installed Microsoft briefcase in win 10.

The question is why does it take so long for the briefcase to open?

Here are the steps.

A. briefcase function slow

1. Shortcut to a folder which is in a briefcase is located on start menu.

2. open start menu and double click on shortcut.

3. wait 15 seconds for folder to open.

B. desktop opens slow

1. Click file explorer on taskbar.

2. Click Desktop. display shows "working on it" . 7 seconds later desktop appears.

C. simple fix, but why does this work is the question.

1. create a new briefcase with nothing in it, place in start menu

2. open start menu and click on new briefcase

3. new briefcase opens immediately.

4. open start menu

5. click on original shortcut to file in briefcase.

6. file opens immediately.

7. repeat steps to open desktop.

8. desktop opens immediately.

jefersonkarchin, Aug 16, 2021
  4. Briefcase symbol on almost all OneDrive file icons, open with broken

Briefcase

Briefcase is old technology. Microsoft long ago moved on from Briefcase, and you should too. In technology, clinging to the past is deadly. Microsoft dropped support for Briefcase long ago, so if you continue to use it you are literally working
    the trapeze without a net.

It is interesting, however, how prescient Microsoft was when it introduced Briefcase with Windows 95, as this was the forerunner of OneDrive. The next step after Briefcase was SyncToy, one of Windows XP's so-called Power Toys, which made the idea of syncing
    more consumer-friendly.

Today, syncing is universal and accomplished with cloud storage. Whether you choose OneDrive , Google Drive, iCloud or any of the many other cloud storage choices, all you have to do is upload to the cloud and your files are instantly available everywhere.

And today you can do things with cloud storage that could never be done with Briefcase or SyncToy. To give one example: you can use Microsoft Office to edit files in the cloud and have the changes instantly available on all your cloud-connected devices.

47509e48-3862-4169-b9fc-f7f72689af01, Aug 16, 2021
Thema:

Briefcase symbol on almost all OneDrive file icons, open with broken

1. Briefcase symbol on almost all OneDrive file icons, open with broken - Similar Threads - Briefcase symbol almost

2. What is the Briefcase icon on the Edge Browser?

in Windows 10 News
    What is the Briefcase icon on the Edge Browser?: [IMG]Microsoft Edge browser keeps bringing on new features. In a recent update, some Edge browsers noticed a briefcase on the Edge browser icon. And if you noticed the same and wondered what the Briefcase icon on the Edge Browser is? Well, then we are here to explain all...
  3. The Briefcase is broken in Windows 7. Is there a fix?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Briefcase is broken in Windows 7. Is there a fix?: Hello. According to a thread on Microsoft TechNet called "Working with Briefcases in Windows 7", the Briefcase is broken in Windows 7, it fails to copy read-only files and halts the process. This is bad because I want to mirror the content of an hard drive to another one, and...
  4. Disappearance Of Texts, Symbols , Etc In Almost All Apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disappearance Of Texts, Symbols , Etc In Almost All Apps: Hello ! Ive been having problems with my computer lately, most of my apps arent showing any texts or symbols, just images or such, ive tried refreshing my computer multiple times, ive tried restarting the app , nothing seems to happen , ive checked other questions but they...
  5. Emoji's and symbol's broken

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Emoji's and symbol's broken: So one day my audio wasn't working and i fixed it with the trouble shooter but then some emoji's and symbol's become this weird square shape please help me fix this here's an image as an example [ATTACH]...
  6. OneDrive files completely BROKEN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive files completely BROKEN: I notice that my SSD space is still around 50 to 60 Gb ever since I started using OneDrive so this means nothing was deleted which is good news, however, I want the files on OneDrive back to the original location - that being "This PC". But for some god-forsaking reason it...
  7. ALMOST ALL FILES ARE MISSING

ALMOST ALL FILES ARE MISSING: Hi, Started my computer and noticed my desktop was almost blank, all loose files were gone but still the 2 folders I always have there where available. But when opening these folders I noticed only a few subfolders were left and each time with no files in them. I' ve...
  8. Briefcase

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Briefcase: HOw do you get the Briefcase back! That's all I want. PLease. Just the Briefcase. Makes it so much easier to store files for me. I have just reinstalled Windows 10 within the Last 4-6 months. Is their any way I can get the Briefcase feature back in the filing...
  9. briefcase

briefcase: I have tried the video to add briefcase to the reg but still not working. any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/briefcase/70c3e7f8-f53b-4ce2-8507-e317e299a9f1"
  10. BriefCase

BriefCase: I do a lot of moving around so I use a USB drive to carry some of my folders with me. From past experience I used the "Briefcase folder" As I was looking to synchronize my USB Drive with my computer that is a windows 10 operating system with an intel core processor I5 , I...