Windows 10: Bright start menu and taskbar

Discus and support Bright start menu and taskbar in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've just upgraded to win 10. Is there a way to make the taskbar and startmenu light gray and low contrast? I enabled "Show color on..." and added... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ZoltanE, Jul 28, 2015.

1. ZoltanE Win User

Bright start menu and taskbar

I've just upgraded to win 10. Is there a way to make the taskbar and startmenu light gray and low contrast?

I enabled "Show color on..." and added my own light grays to the palette with WinAeroTweaker. The chosen colors show up in window title bars but have no effect on taskbar/start menu. It seems that colors used there are are clamped to #808080-ish.

:)

ZoltanE, Jul 28, 2015

2. The brightness problem

Tip: right-click Start and open "Mobility Center" to get a brightness slider. Pin that to your taskbar or give it a keyboard shortcut so you can adjust brightness easily anytime.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 28, 2015
  3. KostasBk Win User
    Problems after KB3213986 update

While the KB3213986 update was getting installed I experienced unusually long time with the message saying 100% of the update was done.

I waited and it finally finished. After this, the screen brightness shortcut keys would not work. The brightness slider would appear when pressing the keys but the slider did not move. Moving it with the mouse did not do anything to the screen brightness.

I restarted and now, on top of that, the taskbar items did not load. However when I run eg Viber, it appeared at the taskbar. The start menu/button did not work at all.

I uninstalled the update and everything went back to normal. But after a while I got the message that the update is ready and will install in non-working hours etc.

How can I bypass the update? Is there anything else I can do?

My system is a Lenovo G50-70 laptop.

KostasBk, Jul 28, 2015
  4. ken1943 Win User

I am looking for the same thing. The color selection does not contain a light gray. Great for a smart phone or tablet, but not desktop/laptop. I don't remember how I got it on Win 8/8.1 !!

ken1943, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Fluchaa Win User
    Same problem here :/
    Already used WinAeroTweaker, but no chance to get any light color...

Fluchaa, Jul 31, 2015
  6. ken1943 Win User
    MS sent me a survey. HoHoHo they got an ear full.

ken1943, Jul 31, 2015
  7. gogreen Win User
    Me, too! I'd like to make the taskbar a light-gray, as I had in Windows 7, from which I upgraded.

gogreen, Aug 1, 2015
  8. Lizking Win User

Same here. Apparently there were options to manually set the color with HSB sliders in earlier builds, but they were removed in the final release. No idea why they'd remove the option for users to control some aspect of the UI.

Lizking, Aug 2, 2015
  9. gogreen Win User
    My understanding is that you can use a registry tweak to add a custom color to the taskbar, start menu, and notification area. Try this: http://winaero.com/blog/add-custom-c...-settings-app/

It would be nice, though, to be able to see which colors are available and what they look like. Does anyone have such a chart with their corresponding registry values?

gogreen, Aug 2, 2015
  10. ZoltanE Win User
    I tried both Winaero and the registry tweak but the taskbar and start menu does not get brighter than ~middle gray, even with a white custom color. My guess is that the screenshots of the article show an earlier build.

ZoltanE, Aug 2, 2015
  11. Winaero and Registry edit options do not work. The taskbar & start menu are still solid colour, not grey/white as desired.

(Such fixes may have worked in previous versions of Win 10, but in the final version will not work).

I contacted a guy on Winaero's forum who was not able to help. Best bet is to contact MS directly.

Anyone know any fixes? It would be a shame to backtrack down to Win 7 just because of a cock-up on MS's part, yet again.

Shadowstrife, Aug 2, 2015
  12. Same issue, haven't found a workaround yet. Made my own thread about it before finding this one. There has to be a way, I'm certain of it - hopefully WinaeroTweaker'll be able to include it in a new release

GreyWasMyFriend, Aug 6, 2015
  13. Bright start menu and taskbar

Make sure under PERSONALIZATION -> Colors you have all three options turned on. Then you will see the taskbar change colors to what you pick. Here's mine being purple.

Bobby Phoenix, Aug 8, 2015
  14. Yeah but again the issues isn't that you can't make it change colours, it's just that they always stay dark. I can change mine to any dark colour I want, but I can't make it the light grey I'm used to

GreyWasMyFriend, Aug 8, 2015
  15. It should change with the wallpaper color if all three are turned on. I set a grey background, and my taskbar changed to light grey. Or is that still to dark?

Bobby Phoenix, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Bright start menu and taskbar - Similar Threads - Bright start menu

2. Start menu and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu and Taskbar: My windows key won't open Starrt menu, start menu not working and cant click on icons on taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-taskbar/42d3aa3f-6402-4283-96d7-4265d76fc090
  3. Start menu and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and Taskbar: My windows key won't open Starrt menu, start menu not working and cant click on icons on taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-taskbar/42d3aa3f-6402-4283-96d7-4265d76fc090
  4. Start menu and Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Taskbar/start menu not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar/start menu not working: have Windows 10, it was working great since upgraded. Today I turn it on and now when I click the Start button or Windows key, the mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and nothing comes up. I'm not able to use the search bar, and I can't right click apps...
  6. Taskbar/start menu not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar/start menu not working: have Windows 10, it was working great since upgraded. Today I turn it on and now when I click the Start button or Windows key, the mouse just looks like it is loading, the taskbar flashes, and nothing comes up. I'm not able to use the search bar, and I can't right click apps...
  7. Taskbar and Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar and Start menu: Hello Microsoft Community! I want a problem solve to the taskber, the problem is that I want to know what is the main thing to what apps are pinned to the task bar and how are they organized, I want the same thing in the start menu, I have a 21H1 version of windows 10....
  8. Start menu and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu and taskbar not working: My system has lately been experiencing issues with the Start menu and taskbar. When I power my device on and click on the Start button, the menu doesn't appear. I can right click on the Start button or press Win + X to get to my properties, but left clicking does nothing. The...
  9. Start Menu and Taskbar customization

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Taskbar customization: Hi everyone, Does anyone have recommendations on how to customize the start menu and taskbar for a deployment image? I've tried customizing the start menu and taskbar, then exporting the configuration into a XML, but the start menu appears in two columns when I want it half...
  10. Start Menu and Taskbar customization

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu and Taskbar customization: Hi everyone, Does anyone have recommendations on how to customize the start menu and taskbar for a deployment image? I've tried customizing the start menu and taskbar, then exporting the configuration into a XML, but the start menu appears in two columns when I want it half...