Windows 10: Bring Back "Keep Both Copies" When Copying Files

Discus and support Bring Back "Keep Both Copies" When Copying Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10Pro - Does anyone else miss the one step to keep both copies of an identically named file if you copy a file into a directory by simply... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by B. Parker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. B. Parker Win User

Bring Back "Keep Both Copies" When Copying Files

Windows 10Pro -

Does anyone else miss the one step to keep both copies of an identically named file if you copy a file into a directory by simply clicking that choice?

Right now you have to click the choice "Compare Info for both Files" where you then have to go and select the files you want to do this for. That's probably a great option for those who need to make that choice, but let's add back as well the first choice that existed for so long in Windows.

I don't know why this was changed/removed, but please bring it back.

:)

B. Parker, Oct 15, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Oct 15, 2019
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Oct 15, 2019
  4. RCoon Win User

How to copy files from a dvd which doesnot copies?

Have you considered that your disk is simply broken at that point, causing the pause in copying?

Seriously, use a piece of software like Daemon Tools to copy your DVD stuff. It has logs that tell you what goes wrong so we don't all have to guess what is breaking without any information.

Take the steps people are recommending. If you're not doing that then there's no point in you making a thread asking for help you're going to ignore.

RCoon, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Bring Back "Keep Both Copies" When Copying Files - Similar Threads - Bring Keep Both

2. How to keep both files when copying duplicates?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to keep both files when copying duplicates?: I have Windows 10 Pro. I am trying to copy emails from Outlook Microsoft Office Standard 2016 to a folder on my computer. It's 500+ emails, many emails in just a few threads. I am unable to copy all 500+ emails to the folder. When I try to copy a "duplicate" email the subject...
  3. How to keep both files when copying duplicates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to keep both files when copying duplicates?: I have Windows 10 Pro. I am trying to copy emails from Outlook Microsoft Office Standard 2016 to a folder on my computer. It's 500+ emails, many emails in just a few threads. I am unable to copy all 500+ emails to the folder. When I try to copy a "duplicate" email the subject...
  4. How to keep both files when copying duplicates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. copying files

copying files: How do I transfer music files to my linked phone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-files/883dd539-1427-418a-b163-426df9d620fd"
  6. copy and back up files

in Windows 10 Customization
    copy and back up files: Win 10 I have backed up and copied all files of my satnav in car navigation system to a SD card successfully however it is not recognised by the sat navigation all files as per the original are present within the new SD card Help Please...
  7. Copying Files

Copying Files: There is something I observed while bulk copying : The copy speed while backing up 100s of GB of data from one Hard Drive to back-up drive. I wonder it is a problem of windows or a problem in my system? When I, say copying a smaller amount of data (for example 30-40 GB...
  8. Long file name problem: copied to external drive but can't copy back

in Windows 10 Support
    Long file name problem: copied to external drive but can't copy back: I just finished replacing my motherboard/CPU and a few drives and re-installed Win10 in the process. I backed up the data on the drives to USB drives and had no issues. But now I can't copy the data off the external drive because of the "File name too long" error. I've...
  9. How do I copy files with the same name and keep both

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I copy files with the same name and keep both: I'm trying to copy photos off my iPhone into my folders on my laptop and per Apple's ridiculous system, some of the photos have the same name. When I try to copy them, Windows 10 only gives me two options for files with the same name: replace or do not copy. In older versions...
  10. Copying files

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying files: I have a flash drive with many mp3's on it, however they are split up into various folders. How can I copy all mp3's to my fixed disc without the directories, ie just copy the mp3's without having to access each individual directory. TIA, Mike 83198