Windows 10: Bringing automated testing to Microsoft Edge through WebDriver

Discus and support Bringing automated testing to Microsoft Edge through WebDriver in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Today we’re announcing support for automated testing of Microsoft Edge through the W3C WebDriver standard. To use WebDriver with Microsoft Edge, you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Bringing automated testing to Microsoft Edge through WebDriver

Source: Bringing automated testing to Microsoft Edge through WebDriver | Microsoft Edge Dev Blog

:)

Brink, Jul 22, 2015

2. Edge WebDriver does not support completly "Displayed" status of a element

First of all, I created the post in IE 11 because there is no option to choose Microsoft Edge In the Question form, different from the forum's filter. Also I have not found better place to do this kind of question about a product developed by Microsoft,
    with a lot of technical information.

I've been working developing test on Selenium and I tried to make Edge runs in my test suit, that today runs with IE11, Chrome, FireFox and PhantonJS. Unfortunatelly, my test suit runs in all others webdriver browsers without problems but broke in Edge when
    i try to check simple informations, like if an element is or not displayed.

Example: run in Edge's console the command:

$("#save").is(":visible")

It returns true.

But if I try to do something similar in Selenium it does not work. A code example what I try to do:

_driver.FindElement(By.Id("save")).Displayed;

It returns false.

Even using an explicit wait does not work, it returns a timeout error because was not able to find the displayed element:

_driver.Wait().Until(ExpectedConditions.ElementIsVisible(By.Id("save")));

It throws a timeout exception.

It makes me think that is a Microsoft Edge bug, since the documentation tell us that "Displayed" was implemented (ref here).
    Im using the last Egde and his Webdriver versions, Edge 38.14393.0.0, EdgeHTML 14.14393, Webdriver Release 3.14393.

Also I read somewhere (I think StackOverflow) about a backlog item that was not implemented yet about file uploads, but as is from an unofficial information I don't if it is true. Is it really waiting to be developed to Edge WebDriver?

Thanks all.

IGOR PAULI QUINTAES, Jul 22, 2015
  3. Edge WebDriver does not support completly "Displayed" status of a element

Hello, @Amrita Bhattacharjee

I did all the steps but the test still does not work, even when the element that I need is visible for me, for a javascript code as I wrote above and for all other browsers that I listed before. There is some kind of extra information that I can inform and
    help you to find and solve my problem?

Also about the file upload using Edge WebDriver I did a workaround to solve temporally while the upload function was not implemented. Unfortunatelly I can't do it in a generic error like my first one, when a random element is displayed but the Edge WebDriver
    says me that it's not.

IGOR PAULI QUINTAES, Jul 22, 2015
Thema:

Bringing automated testing to Microsoft Edge through WebDriver

1. Bringing automated testing to Microsoft Edge through WebDriver - Similar Threads - Bringing automated testing

2. "Microsoft Power Automate" added to Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Microsoft Power Automate" added to Microsoft Edge: An uninvited pop-up appeared for the second time asking to either "Turn on extension" or "Remove extension".What "another program" could have added the extension?Power Automate is not enabled;...
  3. "Microsoft Power Automate" added to Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Microsoft Power Automate" added to Microsoft Edge: An uninvited pop-up appeared for the second time asking to either "Turn on extension" or "Remove extension".What "another program" could have added the extension?Power Automate is not enabled;...
  4. Test automation for windows credential provider

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Test automation for windows credential provider: Hello, I have a requirement where I have to automate the manual tests for a credential provider that provides MFA that has been developed for windows. I have done an extensive research of how it can be done. I couldn't find any way to automate windows login screen....
  5. Search Bar is bringing up Microsoft Edge instead of the local folder through Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Bar is bringing up Microsoft Edge instead of the local folder through Windows Explorer: I.E., If i search taxes and it finds my files labeled taxes and I click on it, it brings up Microsoft Edge onedrive versus the local onedrive file Anyone know how to fix this? submitted by /u/DouggieFressh [link] [comments]...
  6. Microsoft Edge WebDriver capabilities, W3C support, and auto updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge WebDriver capabilities, W3C support, and auto updates: Just last week, the WebDriver specification officially became a W3C Recommendation, defining a standard way for web developers and browser engineers to automate the browser. This is a major step forward for web site and web app testing, as well as cross-browser...
  7. Bringing WebVR to Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Bringing WebVR to Microsoft Edge: Today, we’re excited to announce that we’ve begun development on experimental WebVR support in Microsoft Edge! WebVR is the next frontier in web graphics, enabling developers to create a wide range of truly immersive experiences for a variety of devices. Innovative and...
  8. Bringing Extensions to Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Bringing Extensions to Microsoft Edge: I am excited to share that we have shipped the first preview release of Microsoft Edge with extensions support to Windows Insiders. Since the beginning of the Microsoft Edge project, our roadmap has always included extensions in order to support a vibrant community of...
  9. Bringing Asm.js to Chakra and Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Bringing Asm.js to Chakra and Microsoft Edge: A couple of months back, we announced that we had started development on Asm.js. Support for Asm.js has been one of the top 10 most-requested items at the Microsoft Edge Developer Suggestion Box on UserVoice since we launched it in December 2014. Since that time, we’ve made...
  10. Microsoft Edge: High-quality browser accessibility with automation

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge: High-quality browser accessibility with automation: Over the past few weeks, we’ve shown how Microsoft Edge has been rearchitected to empower developers to build more accessible experiences on the Web with HTML5 and UIA. To support this work, we need to ensure that accessibility is not accidentally regressed as we make other...